Unknown and random crashes when playing 7Days

Ash Housewares

Recently have been experiencing random crashes while playing the game. The crash is so bad that it automatically reboots my computer each time. I can be playing 10 mins or 3 hours into it before I crash. I would say this started to happen after A20.2 was introduced, never experienced this while playing on A19. I typically play on a public multiplayer server called Salty Zombies PvE Casual.  This crash and reboot only seems to happen when I play 7Days. I am running Windows 10, 16 GB Ram, and have the latest video card driver.  Any suggestions about how to eliminate these crashes would be appreciated. 

This is my latest crash log :

https://pastebin.com/q8kRMWiK

UPDATE 3/14/22

I took my PC outside on a warm day and spent about 2 hours cleaning it with compressed air, anti static cloths, cotton swabs, and small plastic brushes to get into the hard to reach areas. Acting on Jugginator's advice, I also removed  my RAM sticks, cleaned them and the seating slots carefully and re-inserted them. Since then, I have not had any reboots since playing 7Days.  My RAM temps seem to be hovering around 100-115F at times when playing the game though. Not sure if this is too hot for RAM. CPU has hit 80F but usually around mid70s. 

Maybe all my PC needed was a good clean and re-seating the RAM. I will keep monitoring the temps for now but I want to thank everyone on the forum for the helpful advice!

EDIT: Well crap, my computer just rebooted unexpectedly while playing 7Days after several days of being incident free. Ugh.

Edited by Ash Housewares
additional info (see edit history)

A hard reboot like that indicates a hardware issue or could be a driver. Bad power delivery, CPU not able to handle the clock/voltage, memory instable with clock/voltages/timings are typical causations. In all honestly if it's a prebuilt system from a store, likely the ram or power supply is the cause since they normally put the bare bones parts in for those. I would start troubleshooting there.

A game won't simply cause your PC to reboot, it means it's requiring an amount of power that your PC should be able to handle but there's a part that's not able to handle it.

That points to a hardware issue.

Check your Windows Event log for an entry at the time of the crash. It may hold a clue.

Also, nirsoft's bluescreenview will show you which driver, file, or app caused the blue screen.

The most likely candidates are powersupply or memory.

You could try testing with xmp off. And of course there are memory checks built in you could

run, or run something like memtest. Power Supply tests involve stress testing using prime95 and

furmark. There are others.

Also, an aside. When you leave the server, you should close 7D2D and re-open. There's a bug

where it doesn't release the memory from a previous session and you could be running out

of memory. That wouldn't cause a reboot generally unless maybe it's that point that it starts

hitting a bad memory patch.

Your log file is pretty clean, just missing a custom prefab file, and it ends abruptly with no errors which also supports everything said above that you have a hardware issue that the game reveals. 7 Days is a heavy stressor on the cpu and ram which is why it happens with 7 Days versus some other software/game. If you follow the others advice, you’ll discover your issue.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really was hoping it wasn't a hardware issue since my desktop is fairly new at only 2 years old. I actually sourced the parts and had a company build it. The power supply is a Corsair 850W and the 16GB ram is also by Corsair so it's strange that either might fail so quickly. CPU is an Intel i5-9600K @ 3.70 GHz. 

I just ran Windows Event Log and saw a number of Errors. The one that most alarms me is one that says :  "Error:  The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffffd38b89f19028, 0x00000000b2000000, 0x0000000000030005). "

I don't have alot of experience troubleshooting or testing the memory / cpu / ram but I guess I have some tips on how to start. I will do more research into this and see what I come up. 

Unfortunately searching for that bugcheck has led to "most likely a hardware issue". 

If you're under warranty, I would have them check it out. If you're tech savvy, I would reseat your ram sticks and clean out the system (dust, etc.) as it could also mean heat issues.

The 11 Best Tools to Stress Test Your PC (CPU, RAM, & GPU) (techguided.com)

This has a collection of stress testing tools and a bit of explaining. 

5 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Unfortunately searching for that bugcheck has led to "most likely a hardware issue". 

If you're under warranty, I would have them check it out. If you're tech savvy, I would reseat your ram sticks and clean out the system (dust, etc.) as it could also mean heat issues.

The 11 Best Tools to Stress Test Your PC (CPU, RAM, & GPU) (techguided.com)

This has a collection of stress testing tools and a bit of explaining. 

Thanks again. Not very tech savvy but I can take my pc outside and get the dust out with compressed air. Will check out your guides..

3 minutes ago, Ash Housewares said:

Thanks again. Not very tech savvy but I can take my pc outside and get the dust out with compressed air. Will check out your guides..

Taking your ram in and out is pretty easy actually, if you're comfortable enough. 

Here's a little video I found. But yeah whoever built it should have a warranty on it, or offer some troubleshooting for you.

1 hour ago, Ash Housewares said:

The power supply is a Corsair 850W

I've found the Corsairs to be less reliable again. I just replaced one that was barely a year and a half old. Since this is the third I've had to replace in the past 5 years, (not the same computer, but similar ages on each PSU), I chose to get something completely different. Grabbed an MSI on sale for only $10 more, and it's got a 10-year warranty.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

I've found the Corsairs to be less reliable again. I just replaced one that was barely a year and a half old. Since this is the third I've had to replace in the past 5 years, (not the same computer, but similar ages on each PSU), I chose to get something completely different. Grabbed an MSI on sale for only $10 more, and it's got a 10-year warranty.

The Corsair PSUs have a 10 year warranty too supposedly. Have you had any success going through their customer service for a replacement?

8 hours ago, Ash Housewares said:

The Corsair PSUs have a 10 year warranty too supposedly. Have you had any success going through their customer service for a replacement?

Yep, get a refurb of the same model pretty easily as long as I still have the physical receipt. (They did not like my digital receipt from MicroCenter at all.) But if you're just going to be repeating the process every couple of years, what is the point?   I've had issues with Corsair's for well over a decade now. Had heard they had made major strides in quality, so I gave them a chance again. Won't make that mistake a second time.

I think I may have narrowed down the issue to my Corsair RAM sticks. I have their iCue software installed and it had a record of my 2 sticks of ram hitting a max of 158F and 145F the other day when it rebooted on me while playing 7Days. iCue showed my Corsair liquid cooled CPU temp hitting a high of 107F at some point but the average was around 72F.  I'm guessing its prob the RAM that's overheating..

6 hours ago, Ash Housewares said:

I'm guessing its prob the RAM that's overheating.

Ya, your cpu temp is ok, but ram is very hot. Any airflow in that case? Is the ram overclocked? (xmp?) If you can't cool the case, try lowering the voltage and/or speed of the ram to get it down to a normal temp. Anecdotally, over 104 ish you can start to get errors and over 120 you're very likely to get errors.

This is not really a crash, so I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I didn't want to report a bug yet, because this does not appear to be a bug.

When starting 7 Days To Die today, I received this error:

Could not fully initialize Epic Online Services:

Unknown issue, please report on the forums: UnexpectedError

Has anyone encountered this issue? It prevents even offline play.

3 minutes ago, Firstborne said:

This is not really a crash, so I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I didn't want to report a bug yet, because this does not appear to be a bug.

When starting 7 Days To Die today, I received this error:

Could not fully initialize Epic Online Services:

Unknown issue, please report on the forums: UnexpectedError

Has anyone encountered this issue? It prevents even offline play.

Never mind. It appeared to be a temporary issue, I'm guessing server reboot or something on Epic's end? Thanks anyways.

3 hours ago, Firstborne said:

Never mind. It appeared to be a temporary issue, I'm guessing server reboot or something on Epic's end? Thanks anyways.

More than likely. Things are being looked at about failure to launch with EOS not working anyway. For the future please make your own post though.

4 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Samsung says their ram is ok up to 203F, so I guess ymmv.

Yeah my guess is it could not be tolerant due to silicone lottery, or it could be hitting faulty areas (can't handle XMP/voltage/clock/timings) since that temp means it's getting full, which 7 days will gladly eat 20GB if you allow it to. 

11 hours ago, Ash Housewares said:

I think I may have narrowed down the issue to my Corsair RAM sticks. I have their iCue software installed and it had a record of my 2 sticks of ram hitting a max of 158F and 145F the other day when it rebooted on me while playing 7Days. iCue showed my Corsair liquid cooled CPU temp hitting a high of 107F at some point but the average was around 72F.  I'm guessing its prob the RAM that's overheating..

Possibly. Read above. I will say that I've heard of people having a lot of issues with ICue, so perhaps disable it and try your tests again and see how that goes.

If you want BIOS help, grab the make/model of your motherboard.

10 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Ya, your cpu temp is ok, but ram is very hot. Any airflow in that case? Is the ram overclocked? (xmp?) If you can't cool the case, try lowering the voltage and/or speed of the ram to get it down to a normal temp. Anecdotally, over 104 ish you can start to get errors and over 120 you're very likely to get errors.

I have a full tower case where one side is entirely glass and swings out. I opened it and was able to feel the airflow being pulled in by my 2 front intake fans and also by the top mounted AIO cpu cooler's 2 fans. I could also feel the 1 rear fan exhausting air. My two sticks of RAM is not overclocked. 

6 hours ago, Jugginator said:

More than likely. Things are being looked at about failure to launch with EOS not working anyway. For the future please make your own post though.

Yeah my guess is it could not be tolerant due to silicone lottery, or it could be hitting faulty areas (can't handle XMP/voltage/clock/timings) since that temp means it's getting full, which 7 days will gladly eat 20GB if you allow it to. 

Possibly. Read above. I will say that I've heard of people having a lot of issues with ICue, so perhaps disable it and try your tests again and see how that goes.

If you want BIOS help, grab the make/model of your motherboard.

I have a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi ATX LGA 1151 motherboard. Is there a better diagnostic tool to check the temps/do tests on the bios? I've only been using iCUE to monitor the temps of my CPU and RAM...

On 3/8/2022 at 8:10 PM, SylenThunder said:

Just an update to this. The Corsair PSU failure managed to also fry my motherboard. Spent Friday working with Asus support, and luckily my board was still under warranty. Sadly I have no gaming PC for a couple of weeks while the RMA is handled.

On 3/13/2022 at 11:55 AM, SylenThunder said:

Just an update to this. The Corsair PSU failure managed to also fry my motherboard. Spent Friday working with Asus support, and luckily my board was still under warranty. Sadly I have no gaming PC for a couple of weeks while the RMA is handled.

ouch that sucks! I hope Asus expedites your replacement mobo so you can get back to playing..

4 hours ago, Ash Housewares said:

ouch that sucks! I hope Asus expedites your replacement mobo so you can get back to playing..

Sadly, it'll probably be a couple of weeks even with expedited shipping. Cost me $36 to send it to them FedEx 2-day air, however their cost for expedited shipping is insane. 2-day air was something like $125. I'm afraid to even look at what they would charge me for expedited return shipping.

Anyway, be aware when your PSU starts to show signs of issues. It can quickly cause issues with other components. The sporadic issue I spent a week tracking down ended up killing a quite expensive part. I paid $280 for this originally, but if I had to replace it now, it's $400.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:49 PM, Ash Housewares said:

Recently have been experiencing random crashes while playing the game. The crash is so bad that it automatically reboots my computer each time. I can be playing 10 mins or 3 hours into it before I crash. I would say this started to happen after A20.2 was introduced, never experienced this while playing on A19. I typically play on a public multiplayer server called Salty Zombies PvE Casual.  This crash and reboot only seems to happen when I play 7Days. I am running Windows 10, 16 GB Ram, and have the latest video card driver.  Any suggestions about how to eliminate these crashes would be appreciated. 

This is my latest crash log :

https://pastebin.com/q8kRMWiK

UPDATE 3/14/22

I took my PC outside on a warm day and spent about 2 hours cleaning it with compressed air, anti static cloths, cotton swabs, and small plastic brushes to get into the hard to reach areas. Acting on Jugginator's advice, I also removed  my RAM sticks, cleaned them and the seating slots carefully and re-inserted them. Since then, I have not had any reboots since playing 7Days.  My RAM temps seem to be hovering around 100-115F at times when playing the game though. Not sure if this is too hot for RAM. CPU has hit 80F but usually around mid70s. 

Maybe all my PC needed was a good clean and re-seating the RAM. I will keep monitoring the temps for now but I want to thank everyone on the forum for the helpful advice!

EDIT: Well crap, my computer just rebooted unexpectedly while playing 7Days after several days of being incident free. Ugh.

Since you said that you weren’t very tech saavy, why not run the Windows Memory Diagnostics? It’s built into Windows and is an okay way to check whether you have a bad sector on your ram. It does take a bunch of time to complete so plan for that.