So I decided to track Sleeper volumes in Poi's and how many are ambushes.

Scyris

10 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Indeed, seems like a feature that has been given at least _some_ thought. And I do use it occasionally, with something agroed too close for comfort and something else wandering around a little further. However I'm not entirely sure if I ever optimally should - or would it just always be better to actually sprint for a distance and then sneak properly.

Well, maybe. Although the current book only removes stamina use, so I don't really see it making that much of a difference right now.

Oops, thought the book would make one stealthier. Should have read the description again.

16 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Oops, thought the book would make one stealthier. Should have read the description again.

Shhh, you didn't have to reveal your hand, while it wasn't good for the current-game-argument, it was perfectly fine as a game-design-argument :)

On 2/5/2022 at 8:45 AM, Scyris said:

Considering I was stealth the entire time? and I often destroy the pile of garbage thats always behind a door in the path your meant to walk. All I've noticed is that in all the new A20 poi's almost every sleeper volume is a ambush almost every single one, doesn't matter how quiet you are. Before in A19 you could enter the ambush volume in a different way and not trigger it, however in A20 a lot of these sleeper volumes do not spawn the zombies at all unless you step on the ambush trigger, which means when your on a clear quest, you cannot finish it, as the volume does not spawn UNLESS you step on the block that causes the ambush. Its TFP being TFP and forcing you to play in a certain way. I miss back in a16.4 when the player had choice, what weapon you used determined how high you up perks for it, you could stealth or go in guns blazing.

The stat system was the dumbest thing TFP has done to the game by far. Their excuse was to avoid "level gate" However, that was ONE level gate, now we have 5 gates instead of one. SO they made the problem WORSE and not better. Not to mention some stats are just worth more than others, str/int being the big 2, while the rest especially in A20 are kinda useless, especially Agi since stealth is a near non-option, which renders several agility perks near useless and a waste of skill points. This is not directly related to the stealth thing but it sort of is, as the way it is in A20 it makes Agility even less worth investing in as many of its perks are completly negated due to the ambush volumes being so prevalient.

8199Xb1cVdL._SL1500_.jpg

In case anybody still cares about this topic, I've finished the Boid's Stealth Logging mod. I may actually publicize this one over in the modding forum 'cause it's kinda useful if you want to really learn how stealth works, IMO. It won't make you like how it works, though! https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/1819?tab=files

The mod will log the following events to the console (with some supporting info if available):

• Player enters a sleeper volume
  • Attack volume zombie tries to 'see' player
  • Zombie targets player
  • Zombie stops targeting player
  • Zombie approaches a spot (due to noise e.g. gunfire or too-loud sneaking)
  • Zombie approaches distraction (thrown rock/snowball)

I don't have any UI modification skills at the moment. What I was considering is looking into the fairly simple "did I see you" calculation for attack sleeper Zs and see if I could make it use noise instead of light. I assume that a) this is not a unique idea and b) TFP already thought it through and discarded the idea and c) whatever I might come up with will be worse. But it will be fun to try.

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 4:55 PM, ElDudorino said:

My approach to entering any fresh room in a PoI now is to run into the middle of the room and then run back out the way I came and kill whoever chases me

Yeah, it's my favorite tactics too, but it fails when there are too many zombies in the place, like in the Tier V POIs