Crashing on "Building Environment"

Black Triad

Summary: (a short description of the bug)

Game Version: A20 (b238)

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows 11

CPU Model: Intel i9 9900k

System Memory: 64gb

GPU Model and VRAM: Gigabite Windforce Nvidia RTX 2080ti 11gb

Screen Resolution: 1900x1200

Video Settings: Ultra but with shadow stuff off (Custom)

Game mode: SP & MP RWG

Did you wipe old saves? YES

Did you start a new game? YES

Did you validate your files? YES

Are you using any mods? NO

EAC on or off? ON

Bug Description:

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1)Try to log into a server for the second or third time. Log into your single player game for the second or third time.

2)

3)

Actual result: (description of what is occurring)

Game crashes during the "building environment" log on stage

A complete wipe and reinstall of 7dtd fixed this problem for ONE day. The next day the problem returned.

Expected result: (what you expect to occur)

I expect to log in or start quickly like in the prior build of 7dtd.

I don’t see any errors in your log file and no indication that 7 Days is having any problems, the log just abruptly ends. That usually points to something outside of the game, like hardware or operating system, that fails due to the resource demands of 7 Days. So I would consider doing some diagnostics. First check that all components are connected properly to the motherboard. Ram can get loosened up if you move your box around. Check to see if anything is recorded in the Event Viewer at the time of the crash. Make sure your bios, chipset drivers and videocard drivers are up to date. Run Memtest or Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool several times to look for ram errors, check hard drive for system errors by running sfc /scannow from command prompt(as administrator). Lastly, stress your cpu by running Prime95 if all else fails. Someone else might chime in with other suggestions as well.

I have just done all that last weekend when I transplanted my system to a new case, aio install ect. My system is as healthy as a lumberjack before zombification. The problem was happening since before that and as far as I can remember since the current build started. I notice that steam is downloading 200ish kb worth of files to 7day almost every day, perhaps it is a steam problem.

I am now testing verification of files after this download occurs and it seems to be working. I am currently getting into servers/SP games, however, the "building environment" phase still takes longer than it did in the previous build for which I had zero problems.

The Steam updates that are small and relatively often are from updating shaders if I’m remembering correctly so it isn’t actually 7 Days updating.

I’m glad it’s working better and I also agree that building environment takes longer than previous alphas but I have no idea why. My rig is almost a year old and I plan to do the “health check” of my system like you did. I’m not ready to load Windows 11 but I might reinstall Windows 10 at some point. I like how smooth the os runs when first installed.

A little farther back in time I found an application hang application log event. There are zero hardware or system errors related to this hang. "Building Environment" takes far too long and upon clicking the mouse windows asks to close 7dtd or wait.

The program 7DaysToDie.exe version 2020.3.14.53691 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 764
 Start Time: 01d812d069a61bac
 Termination Time: 2
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe
 Report Id: 5808e559-c2b6-4588-bcb1-da3b0f4f4259
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:
 Hang type: Unknown

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>101</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-01-26T16:21:51.2422680Z" />
  <EventRecordID>9120</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="7260" ThreadID="0" />
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>RogMax11Code</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>7DaysToDie.exe</Data>
  <Data>2020.3.14.53691</Data>
  <Data>764</Data>
  <Data>01d812d069a61bac</Data>
  <Data>2</Data>
  <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe</Data>
  <Data>5808e559-c2b6-4588-bcb1-da3b0f4f4259</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data>Unknown</Data>
  <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

51 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Try deleting and reinstalling the Visual C (2022) package. 

0x80000000000000  indicates a possible file corruption.

Also check your disk files for possible corruption

I see several C++ entries from 2013 to 2015-2019 but none for 2022. Checking my 980 pro 2tb again and its files.

Aha….there might be your issue. A20 requires Microsoft Visual C (2022). Go grab a copy and install it. Whatever you do, DO NOT UNINSTALL other versions of Visual C. Versions are not cumulative so each game you have installed may require a different version so if you delete other versions, other games may not work.

PS C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22000.1 (I have Windows 11 Pro so no idea what the V 10.x is about)

Image Version: 10.0.22000.469

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

PS C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

PS C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

5 minutes ago, Star69 said:

Aha….there might be your issue. A20 requires Microsoft Visual C (2022). Go grab a copy and install it. Whatever you do, DO NOT UNINSTALL other versions of Visual C. Versions are not cumulative so each game you have installed may require a different version so if you delete other versions, other games may not work.

I get that after I try the game with the corruption fixes above.

I am able to get in 100% IF I wait the over 1 minute were I was letting windows kill it 15 to 30 seconds in. There is a yellow warning in the console stating the load of items took 60.xx seconds.

This wait is way, way too long and has only manifest since the current build. I can't be the only one waiting a minute or more to get into games if this is a problem with the current build.

When I said I experience a delay I should clarify….the delay is around 10 seconds, nowhere near what you are experiencing. I haven’t read a report about anyone having a minute long delay like you, of course it doesn’t mean it isn’t occurring. 

After some time I am now getting kicked by EAC for the "wrong files" and connection timeout. It takes a second loading of the game to get into a server or game. Steam file verification is asking for changes from Steam and EAC on the first game run after that verification.

It seems that on that second login attempt that takes very little time I have a sprained leg that I didn't have when I logged out.

Edited by Black Triad (see edit history)

Thew first time I try to start a game I get timed out and EAC kicked. The second time I try to connect I can get right in without issues.

Here is the output log from the timeout kick:

https://pastebin.com/waQEfZxf

Here are Steam screenshots of the 7dtd messages:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2737002109

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2737002900

10 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Dunno if this is your problem, but rgb lighting software can cause EAC kicks. If you have any running, disable or uninstall it.

I have none installed or running. Just used the launcher to clean files again. Will see if the third time is the charm or not when I can get back on my PC.

1 minute ago, Black Triad said:

Just used the launcher to clean files again.

The launcher will clean the saves and settings, but will not clean the installed game files. EAC errors would be in those game files, so, deleting your game install folder would be more likely to fix the wrong files problem. Also run a chkdsk, (as @BFT2020has already suggested).

21 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

The launcher will clean the saves and settings, but will not clean the installed game files. EAC errors would be in those game files, so, deleting your game install folder would be more likely to fix the wrong files problem. Also run a chkdsk, (as @BFT2020has already suggested).

Using the launcher to clean all worked. I did not have to re-install 7dtd or EAC and Steamworks. I haven't a clue what the problem was but it is gone now and I can get into servers or SP in mere seconds.