Gamesaves reset to Tutorial Mode and wipe of possessions if game is selected while offline from STEAM.

Queetzall

My cable modem went down Sunday, and I decided I'd play 7D2D.  At character launch I noticed I had no tools, map showed as unexplored, and I was in tutorial mode, however the game was showing as day 10.

Tried on another save and got the same result.

Issue is reproduceable.

A20 b238

I ‘think’ it’s an online vs offline issue…..a game you start connected to Steam cannot be continued offline. So an offline game, even using the same seed, will start a new game. I know that’s probably not what you wanted to hear. Not being a programmer, I cannot say if it’s intended or if it has to be that way or if it’s a bug. Maybe someone else will chime in with their opinion. If not, maybe submit it as an official bug report in the bug report section.

I just had this very issue. 

Dedicated server. No mods. Myself my son and wife all play.   I was not playing at the time, my son just exited the game and my wife was playing.  There was a brief power outage in my house (IRL).  My wife's character now starts as a naked and alone level one character and myself and my sons characters have maintained their levels and progress.  The server time and all out stuff is still there its just my wife's character has reset. 

Edit:

I found this after further searching

Edited by Lord Morphleyes (see edit history)

I see this a lot….people who lose power while playing get corrupted player files or saves. I’m assuming it’s due to the constant updating of information to the player profile and when that updating is abruptly interrupted, the data can become corrupt. I don’t know if it’s avoidable or not, a programmer would need to chime in but I’m guessing that it’s because 7 Days is a voxel game and the amount of data being written is tremendous. 

18 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Possible recovery for this is covered in the support thread.

Thank you.  I went there pulled up the backup.  It did t work, probably because we tried multiple times so our back up was a corrupted file too.  So its on to the DM mode to give my wife her levels and stuff.  My son is sad though that now that we have disabled EAC he can no longer earn achievements. 

6 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

My son is sad though that now that we have disabled EAC he can no longer earn achievements. 

Known issue that should be fixed in an upcoming update. Note that EAC disabled does not disable achievements, but those ATM are also not working which will also be fixed in an upcoming patch.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, Lord Morphleyes said:

I just had this very issue. 

Dedicated server. No mods. Myself my son and wife all play.   I was not playing at the time, my son just exited the game and my wife was playing.  There was a brief power outage in my house (IRL).  My wife's character now starts as a naked and alone level one character and myself and my sons characters have maintained their levels and progress.  The server time and all out stuff is still there its just my wife's character has reset. 

Edit:

I found this after further searching

Thanks for the mention. IMHO, the saving system needs a complete overhaul. Each time it saves it should save to a different file, up to 10 files total. Once it hits 10, it starts to overwrite. That way if one gets corrupt the game itself can backtrack and open the last known good save. Also, maps should have a separate save than characters. The characters should be able to travel between maps. For example I take my single player character and join an online game with the same character, level him up there, etc.. and then take him back to my single player game. The game Grim Dawn uses this.  If someone chooses to start a new character with a new map, that is also an option, but not mandatory. We also need the ability to manually save and create up to 10 saves manually. So if I have a problem, I know that I can go back to another save that I made. The constant overwriting of one file for a character or map has a high likelihood of corruption.  That's my 2 cents. :) 

13 minutes ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

Each time it saves it should save to a different file, up to 10 files total.

Just so you're aware, this would increase the available space requirement for the game from 30GB to 300GB. Space on your C drive.

Also note that if you don't have a fast PC with fast storage, doing so will pause your game for at least a minute or two.

That's not even considering the fact that the game doesn't "do saves". It's constantly updating the files.

4 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

When I check my game save folder its around 300-800mb. Why would the size go up to 300GB? I can see 3GB or maybe even 6GB. 

A long-term heavily built save can easily be between 12 and 30GB. The specs for the game state that you need 30GB, and at one point the game would run a check that you did have 30GB free when it started up.

So if we take the max possible value, and then multiply it by your intended number of duplicated saves, we get 300GB. 

Hi. I had this issue and was able to fix it myself, by finding the online save file and replacing the offline save with a copy of it. 

Yes, the game saves your offline character as a different person than your online character. If you're playing solo, I recommend always using offline mode. 

Here is what I had to do: 
1.) Go to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\Wapiruxe County\<game name>\Player\

2.) Each character consists of 3 files: A .map file, a .ttp file, and a .bak file. If you have only played online, there will only be the 3 files there, but if you have played both offline and online there will be 2 sets of 3 files. To transfer a online character to offline, start the game once while offline to see what file name it gives your offline character. 

3.) My online character files were all named "EOS_<the same 32 characters>" and my offline ones were all named "Steam_<the same 17 numbers>".  I copied the name of the offline character, made copies of all 3 online character files, and renamed them to the offline file name. 

4.) Your offline character is a *different person*, so you probably want to make sure you unlock all chests you want them to be able to open and put your vehicles in your inventory before doing the transfer (so, ideally, you have some online time to prepare). Once you transfer, only play offline for consistency. When one of them is playing, time doesn't pass for the other. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by KestralB (see edit history)