General Feedback

WilliamHeadings

I have a couple of suggestions and feedback. I'll get right into it.

New Mods are great additions in a20.

I strongly dislike that farming was nerfed. I think that you need to make it possible to get seeds from breaking wild plants. The over saturation of farms doesn't make up for the fact that you now farm at a loss. additionally i think if you changed the "living off the land" perc to give a 25% (tier 1), 50% (tier 2), and 100% (tier 3) chance of returning seeds when breaking plants it would be much more balanced. Farming now feels like a waste of time.

Overall there are too many farms. The city generation needs to be improved. It should have city in center surrounded by suburbs. I currently have cities of farms which is not realistic.

I would like to see the flying drone receive attack mods (guns, melee, ect.)

Small thing but the front sight on all of the guns is way to big. Really bothers me because its very unrealistic.

Great job on the addition of pipe weapons. They really fit the game and came out nicely.

My final point and one that strongly affects the overall fun of the game is how i feel like its the players vs the creators not players vs environment/zombies. Over the years it seems like the developers are always trying to stop the players from playing certain ways. Mainly through changing the zombies AI. I suggest that you add a game option that allows the players to choose the AI's intelligence.

Tier 1 "Stoopid" Zombies, where zombies don't dig down and overall don't choose the easiest path to the player. allowing for underground bases.

Tier 2 Average Zombies, where zombies are a little smarter but dig down slowly only when the player is detected.

Tier 3 Smart Zombies, which is current zombie AI.

Additionally i think you need to restore zombie fall damage. Zombies should die on their first fall if the distance is great enough. You cannot tell me that if a zombie falls off of a skyscraper they would get back up. Removing up to 33.3% of health per fall is completely unrealistic and one of my biggest complaints. This would restore pit fall bases.

Overall i have enjoyed the game over the years, but i don't like that the developers are always trying to put unrealistic features to prevent the players from having fun and playing the game the way they want to play. Keep up the good work devs. I hope to see these changes.

William H

PS how is this game still in alpha? It's been like a decade.

4 hours ago, WilliamHeadings said:

I strongly dislike that farming was nerfed. I think that you need to make it possible to get seeds from breaking wild plants. The over saturation of farms doesn't make up for the fact that you now farm at a loss. additionally i think if you changed the "living off the land" perc to give a 25% (tier 1), 50% (tier 2), and 100% (tier 3) chance of returning seeds when breaking plants it would be much more balanced. Farming now feels like a waste of time.

Additionally i think you need to restore zombie fall damage. Zombies should die on their first fall if the distance is great enough. You cannot tell me that if a zombie falls off of a skyscraper they would get back up. Removing up to 33.3% of health per fall is completely unrealistic and one of my biggest complaints. This would restore pit fall bases.

I agree with most, if not all of your points, but especially the above two.

1) Since removing the wellness system, there isn't much desire to cook exotic high tier meals, so making farming even more of a bore than it already was isn't a step in the right direction. It's just not fun, at least not for me.

2) Personally I think the zombies should only die from head wounds.  We should still be able to hit limbs in order to pop them off to make a pet zombie slug though :). But, if a zombie falls from high enough, his head should pop like a grape, and that should be instant death. That would be really entertaining, and a reason to build tall bases again.  I'm not a sociopath, I Promise. :)

16 hours ago, hotpoon said:

I agree with most, if not all of your points, but especially the above two.

1) Since removing the wellness system, there isn't much desire to cook exotic high tier meals, so making farming even more of a bore than it already was isn't a step in the right direction. It's just not fun, at least not for me.

2) Personally I think the zombies should only die from head wounds.  We should still be able to hit limbs in order to pop them off to make a pet zombie slug though :). But, if a zombie falls from high enough, his head should pop like a grape, and that should be instant death. That would be really entertaining, and a reason to build tall bases again.  I'm not a sociopath, I Promise. :)

Yeah, Any mass that fall from a great distance is going to be smashed on impact. It would at the very least break their legs. They're littery changing real life physics to nerf a play style because they don't like it.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:55 AM, WilliamHeadings said:

Yeah, Any mass that fall from a great distance is going to be smashed on impact. It would at the very least break their legs. They're littery changing real life physics to nerf a play style because they don't like it.

Well, stuff is often nerfed if it is too effective compared to other measures.

"Because they don't like it"? Oh come on, are you 13 years old? It is TFPs job to balance the game, irrespective of what they like. It is very possible that they make judgement errors from time to time, but as much as anyone can be "objective" they will try to be. Because 1) their income and success depends on it being a well balanced game and 2) they are all capable of modding the game if they want to have an OP playstyle for themselves, they don't need vanilla for that.

By the way, I like your idea with the leg breaking. There should be a good chance for that when they get maximum damage.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/13/2022 at 5:56 AM, meganoth said:

Well, stuff is often nerfed if it is too effective compared to other measures.

"Because they don't like it"? Oh come on, are you 13 years old? It is TFPs job to balance the game, irrespective of what they like. It is very possible that they make judgement errors from time to time, but as much as anyone can be "objective" they will try to be. Because 1) their income and success depends on it being a well balanced game and 2) they are all capable of modding the game if they want to have an OP playstyle for themselves, they don't need vanilla for that.

By the way, I like your idea with the leg breaking. There should be a good chance for that when they get maximum damage.

Thanks for the response. Things should not be nerfed because they are "too Effective". This is exactly what the community doesn't like. Real life isn't balanced and you don't need to change real world physics to make it more fun.

I think the solution is having two additional options in the menu to zombie fall damage and zombie intellegence. It's a win win for everyone.

Edited by WilliamHeadings (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, WilliamHeadings said:

Things should not be nerfed because they are "too Effective". This is exactly what the community doesn't like. Real life isn't balanced and you don't need to change real world physics to make it more fun.

I think the solution is having two additional options in the menu to zombie fall damage and zombie intellegence. It's a win win for everyone.

Why do people keep comparing a video game to the real world. "Well in the real world it doesn't work that way so it shouldn't in the game."  You do know that in the real world if you broke your leg from fall and you didn't have a trained doctor to properly reset the bone or do surgery to repair it then it wouldn't heal right and you would have a limp for the rest of your life.  So would you like that to be how the game is as well?  Break your leg and your character has a permanent movement debuff?  No because that wouldn't be fun.  

If you want the zombies to take more fall damage then just use a mod.  TFPs gave people the ability to mod the game however they want to but people don't seem to want to take advantage of that wonderful gift.  Want the zombies to pop when falling from high enough?  https://7daystodiemods.com/zombie-fall-damage/  There is a mod by KhaineGB that removes the cap on damage from zombie falls.  It's super easy to install and doesn't require the devs to do more work just to make you happy.  

Sorry if I came off a little rude.  I'm having my first cup of coffee in the morning and still trying to wake up lol.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:55 AM, WilliamHeadings said:

Lol you mean like real life things like putting a bandage on a critical wound will heal you in a few seconds? Or healing a broken leg in a few hours or faster?

I dont really like that they try the horde to be impossible to counter even late game but throwing an opinion on 'physics' and realism in a zombiegame is kinda lame to be fair.

i actually really enjoy the new farming mechanics. 

I never usually bother with a farm because it feels so easy with no reward, plant a seed, get infinite crops, have chest fulls of crops in a week or two, it really killed me investing time into it. However with the new farming now I enjoy having a farm with 5 of each seed and just slowly harvesting and replanting, with LOTL level 3 im running at a moderate net gain every harvest. Its something i look forward to though when i return to my base, the simple act of taking care of the farm, its just super chill and i find it rewarding.

I like your idea of being able to change the AI level though, but overall i enjoy the fact the devs change things up, there are still many ways to easily cheese horde nights and its always exciting when they nerf something you rely on, it leads to you finding new tricks to handling hordes and different base designs. I do agree that part of the game is having a great horde base and seeing it take down a challenging horde tho so the devs need to somehow give players the freedom to have that option and enjoy their success.

Edited by sixlip (see edit history)