Cooking Changes Suggestion

kaneblackard

I think we need a slight adjustment to the cooking fires. for foods like cornbread, corn on the cob and boiled meat we need to cook them with boiled water, but when they are crafted the jars vanish. we needa separate output for the campfire that just collects the empty water jars that are used when cooking. jars arent hard to get but its frustrating losing that resource early game just because you cooked these early foods.

Said this many times, farming and cooking seem to be overlooked as having direct impact on your character's progression and/or their playtime.

Would love to see the food (cooking and growing) being given a higher profile. We have the candy, of course, and that can be used as "food buff".

Been pleading the food case since A17, but to no avail, because food had so much impact with the wellness system and now it's almost meaningless with its fleeting bonuses 😔

When I watch people play 99% of them don't even bother investing points into cooking or farming. I mean, why would they? Waste points and effort on making a farm and learn cooking for some temporary buffs, or invest those points more wisely and live off of boiled/grilled meat? It's really a no brainer unless you're role-playing.

spacer.png

I actually would like to see the food aspect of survival become much more difficult. In A19, I always felt the first week solo, and maybe the first 3 weeks in my team of 4, it was a bit touch and go (Longer in teams of 4, because you're sharing loot and even when you go opposite directions to hunt, not everyone is successful.)

In A20, it's as simple as if you want food, you simply go to the snow biome, and at worst, you can have charred meat for as long as you like - as long as you can avoid bears and mountain lions - wolves and stags are fairly easy to take down.

Maybe it's in my head, but I feel like the hit boxes for Chickens and Rabbits have enlarged, and even the worst player amongst us can hit it most times with a primitive bow without too much difficulty.

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)

8 hours ago, eXSe said:

When I watch people play 99% of them don't even bother investing points into cooking or farming. I mean, why would they? Waste points and effort on making a farm and learn cooking for some temporary buffs, or invest those points more wisely and live off of boiled/grilled meat? It's really a no brainer unless you're role-playing.

This, and it's not just them, it's me too and I don't like it.

I'd much rather that food was very scarce, but lasted much longer with a small buff at the start. Nobody goes around shovelling down 8 helpings of bacon and eggs in a day, so why set the game so that's not just possible but expected. Explicitly tying physical health to food, and to do it so it has an immediate affect, was the wrong idea imo. That said, I understand why it's been done and it's been part of the game pretty much since the very first alphas. Sure, eating should improve your health, but much slower and when full you shouldn't be able to force down meal after meal just to get the health buff.

Ideally, for me, you'd have the case where you only needed, say, 3 servings of "proper food" with some wellness buff being given for the first couple of minutes of that. Health would be gained from eating but much slower, and if you over eat you should throw it back up, not unlike DayZ in that manner.

Everyone knows where I'm coming from, I love realistic survival games and might one day get round to modding 7DtD so that it fits that remit, until then I'll keep on nudging the idea here and there and maybe, in the future, one of the devs will take notice and like the idea.

9 hours ago, eXSe said:

Been pleading the food case since A17, but to no avail, because food had so much impact with the wellness system and now it's almost meaningless with its fleeting bonuses 😔

spacer.png

It is absolutely crucial to have the best foods in the game for higher difficulties. At some point your steel sledgehammer is just a stamina drain. Having that extra stamina buff in a place like Dishong Tower or any tier IV to V POI is very crucial if you don't want to throw a block in front of every single door.

Plus you eat so much less. We have a dedicated farmer and a dedicated cook/miner, it goes very well. We've never once ran out of food, meat, or animal fat. It's only useless if you look at it from a perspective of how others play.

I personally don't invest points into master chef unless I'm absolutely tired of looting, and I haven't found food related schematics. Go from eating 10-15 grilled meat a day to 1-2 meat stew a day, it's really game changing. Eat less, gain more health, get a max stamina buff, and not have to worry about hunger for days at a time, and not needing to cook everyday? Count me in!

Glass jars are easy to make in the forge. I always make about 10 or 15 glass jars on day one during the night. After that if I need any I'll make them. It takes sand, clay, and lead. I've never had to mine lead for  jars, I've always managed to loot enough on day one to make enough to get me through the next day.

6 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

It is absolutely crucial to have the best foods in the game for higher difficulties. At some point your steel sledgehammer is just a stamina drain. Having that extra stamina buff in a place like Dishong Tower or any tier IV to V POI is very crucial if you don't want to throw a block in front of every single door.

Plus you eat so much less. We have a dedicated farmer and a dedicated cook/miner, it goes very well. We've never once ran out of food, meat, or animal fat. It's only useless if you look at it from a perspective of how others play.

I personally don't invest points into master chef unless I'm absolutely tired of looting, and I haven't found food related schematics. Go from eating 10-15 grilled meat a day to 1-2 meat stew a day, it's really game changing. Eat less, gain more health, get a max stamina buff, and not have to worry about hunger for days at a time, and not needing to cook everyday? Count me in!

Or you blow them away with shotguns and/or other firearms... it's not like ammo is scarce 😁

As for bonuses you get, I still feel that they are far too short to be of any kind of use... except in niche cases.

Food (quality one) should be a slow burning buff to your character that builds up over time and not this candy like crap. Also, candies are ridiculous to me, but that's another story... eat a candy and yeet yourself off a building not to be collected at the bottom with a mop and a bucket?

spacer.png

Edited by eXSe (see edit history)

4 hours ago, eXSe said:

Or you blow them away with shotguns and/or other firearms... it's not like ammo is scarce 😁

As for bonuses you get, I still feel that they are far too short to be of any kind of use... except in niche cases.

Food (quality one) should be a slow burning buff to your character that builds up over time and not this candy like crap. Also, candies are ridiculous to me, but that's another story... eat a candy and yeet yourself off a building not to be collected at the bottom with a mop and a bucket?

spacer.png

What if I enjoy using melee over guns? Eff me I guess.

No one's forcing you to eat the best foods or eat candy. The candy of which you specify has a purpose which is to allow easy access off a tier 5 poi like Dishong or Higashi, or the broken down construction site. The others are purely just buffs that don't break the game and just help a little bit. I've never had Eye Kandy force end-game loot, it just helps you along and brings better luck.

1 hour ago, Darklegend222 said:

What if I enjoy using melee over guns? Eff me I guess.

No one's forcing you to eat the best foods or eat candy. The candy of which you specify has a purpose which is to allow easy access off a tier 5 poi like Dishong or Higashi, or the broken down construction site. The others are purely just buffs that don't break the game and just help a little bit. I've never had Eye Kandy force end-game loot, it just helps you along and brings better luck.

Never said anything about you fornicating with yourself, just gave you an alternative to melee. But, if you love melee that much to use it even when there are more advisable alternatives, then yes, this food situation is more preferable to you.

Also, never said anyone was forcing me to eat anything, be it foods or candy, just was pointing out flaws and ridiculousness of some of the mechanics from my viewpoint.

The way I play it, I have no need for quality food because there's better way to spend my points (I have no need for that "big" stamina/health quickie boost). Also, don't use candy, but that's only because it's immersion breaking for me.