This is new.... and weird (in A20)

Ghostlight

I always build my first simple live-in box base on a road. Usually a nice big crossroads somewhere near or in the first town I plan to loot. This comes from habit as in older alphas, zeds used to (by accident or otherwise) dig holes under your walls and surrounding spikes if you built on grass. However in A20 building on roads is proving problematic as it seems like the markings on roads (white lines, yellow lines etc) are now actual objects lying flat on the road and thus occupying the block right on top of the road surface??? This prevents me from laying a block on top of any road marking. What the heck?

I've seen such things too,  in the way a few of the POI's are built.  I can't place anything on the floors (or rooftops) of some POI's,  due to how they laid the blocks when making them.   anything I try to place on the floor..will only sit a half block up in the air.  So it winds up looking like levitating ----everything.    Since I haven't stumbled upon the secret of anti-gravity yet,  I have wound up ripping out those flooring blocks and replacing them Myself.

Yea Faatal was talking in another thread about possible making them like grass, replaced by a block being set down. They're irritating for sure. I fight the horde on the street and just walking over the wide crosswalk markings and bobbing up and down made me nuts so I removed them.

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

Yea Faatal was talking in another thread about possible making them like grass, replaced by a block being set down. They're irritating for sure. I fight the horde on the street and just walking over the wide crosswalk markings and bobbing up and down made me nuts so I removed them.

if he was to do that, then most likely 99% sure someone will launch a complaint as to why they are not allowed to harvest the white markers (even tho nothing harvests from them) :)

8 hours ago, Urban Blackbear said:

Although I do see how that would be annoying.

Very much, since they seem to have 1500 hp, it's day 1 and I have a Stone Axe.

I really cannot believe they chose this approach in a voxel game that is all about building and placing blocks. What's wrong with simple textures?

1 hour ago, Ghostlight said:

What's wrong with simple textures?

The terrain texture mixer; haven't tried in A20, but any terrain block near the original surface level takes it's texture from a generated world texture. It does include roads, but I would guess the level of detail isn't enough to add road markings.. hence the next best thing, actual blocks.

I destroyed one for testing earlier, that one had either 150 or 250 hp (from memory). Still too much for convenience, but if you're getting 1500, I'd assume you're hitting the asphalt instead. Or some other block like a sidewalk..