Falling Heads & Limbs

Loboling

I feel like the new falling limb mechanic on the zombies looks a little silly if it's not in the right context. Using a sledgehammer to pop off a zombies head or a machete to cut it off, that is fun. However, when you fire a pistol shot in the head and it... takes the head off as a single piece that drops neatly on the floor. I think it looks ridiculous most of the time. The same really for the arms and legs which kind of fly off the zombies. 

It feels a bit like you're in a zombie apocalypse that turns into a silly dream, where the zombies are so weak you can disassemble them, they may even just lose a limb walking. 

I propose that limb removal be restricted to machete with an exception for all melee weapons having a chance to knock off only heads. OR if you do set it up for guns, make sure the bullets have to hit the joint to initiate the effect. Otherwise a 'destroyed limb' should simply explode like in the past. 

What does everyone else think? 

Loving alpha 20 so far, but I find this mechanic works against the immersion and atmosphere of the game, and it'll be much worse when every zombie works like this. 

I think it should depend on the weapon.

Hittingg a zombie with a pipe baton and suddenly the head just... pops off just looks super funny :D
(*bonk* -> *plop* 🤣)

Every high impact dmg (guns) should pop the limbs

Every cutting weapon should make them pop off like they do now
and sledgehammers should impart velocity to the head to let it fly off in the direction of the swing!

Edited by Viktoriusiii (see edit history)

2 hours ago, theFlu said:

I think the worst part is that they don't inherit any velocity from the damage, they just drop. Now, sending a head across the POI with a baseball bat though, no-one would be complaining ... :)

A man of culture I see. 😜 

I agree, the dynamic with the limb removal is wrong, but the concept could be really awesome. It's just needs some tweaks. But I still think that most regular gun fire shouldn't be throwing limbs all over the place. Again, this is only implemented on a handful of zombies... -_- imagine when all zombies have this mechanic, it'll look crazy ridiculous. 

I also agree with Viktoriusiii, melee weapons should be the main place this mechanic shows up. As hitting something with blunt force may be able to do some of this, especially cutting with the machete. Guns should have either target specific actions (instead of fire at arm, remove arm, like it is now, have it be fire at shoulder, remove arm, etc) or they should just greatly reduce the frequency and include proper physics to the limb. 😈