How do I deal with cold in the snow when I get wet?

Saminator01

So I've noticed every now and then when I am in the snowy forests, I'll suddenly get 100% wet and no matter what I am wearing, I start to get cold, I am wearing a puffer jacket, skull cap, gothic pants, and gothic boots, and I'm not sure how I still get 100% wet like it's just snow and doesn't my cap and jacket protect me from that? Like it doesn't really make sense like wouldn't that protect you from getting wet in real life? Like if it was rain then maybe it would make sense to get really wet unless if you had an umbrella which isn't in this game but it's snow. Even with a torch it doesn't always help. Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug? I feel like the wet system is too sensitive in this game. You just go instantly from being dry to being 100% wet as if you swam under the water lol.

Edited by Saminator01 (see edit history)

Poncho used to keep you dry, I don't know if this is the case anymore (probably not since they revamped the clothing/armor)

Carry a torch/melee with burning shaft mod in your hand, that will give you a little heat.

If that still isn't enough there's always the insulation mods for armor, which while I'd prefer more useful mods, I also prefer not freezing to death.

And then there is the  perk, which I really consider a waste but then if I started spending more time freezing I might reconsider.

When I got wet in the polar biome I was wearing a leather duster, a hoodie, a skullcap, and BDU bottoms. It got cold but it stayed Orange. The puffer coat is warmer than the leather duster. The hoody is warmer than what you were wearing.

I may not have stayed there long enough for it to turn red. I would have tried equipping a torch if I got into the red zone.

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

Fires are pretty much your only workaround without getting insulated mods for your armour and wearing cold specific clothing like puffer jackets and the beanie. I don't remember if workstations still give a heat bonus anymore, as I've pretty much stopped building homes in the snow biome because the wildlife got out of hand since A19. Torches can help a little, but obviously ties up your hands a bit. The Well Insulated perk works for both snow or the heat if you're interested. 

I actually don't mind this feature too much, personally as it's relatively true to snow. You don't just get cold, you get wet, and wet + cold = dangerous. I appreciate they don't have a frostbite debuff!

Fires are pretty much your only workaround without getting insulated mods for your armour and wearing cold specific clothing like puffer jackets and the beanie. I don't remember if workstations still give a heat bonus anymore, as I've pretty much stopped building homes in the snow biome because the wildlife got out of hand since A19. Torches can help a little, but obviously ties up your hands a bit. The Well Insulated perk works for both snow or the heat if you're interested. 

Like it doesn't really make sense like wouldn't that protect you from getting wet in real life? Like if it was rain then maybe it would make sense to get really wet unless if you had an umbrella which isn't in this game but it's snow

Snow has a nasty habit of clinging to you and melting, which is why you get wet. You also sweat like crazy with all of the layers on (IRL) which is another factor. Sleet is a real thing (rain/snow mix). If you read a survival guide and check any "frigid conditions" portion they will all emphasize the importance of staying dry because it makes you colder if you're wet, plus the low temperatures make it nigh impossible to dry off. 

/end nerd rant.

Edited by Lenny Lettuce Lips (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

I actually don't mind this feature too much, personally as it's relatively true to snow. You don't just get cold, you get wet, and wet + cold = dangerous. I appreciate they don't have a frostbite debuff!

Snow has a nasty habit of clinging to you and melting, which is why you get wet. You also sweat like crazy with all of the layers on (IRL) which is another factor. Sleet is a real thing (rain/snow mix). If you read a survival guide and check any "frigid conditions" portion they will all emphasize the importance of staying dry because it makes you colder if you're wet, plus the low temperatures make it nigh impossible to dry off. 

/end nerd rant.

I see because some of the clothes I wear say they are waterproof but I don't know if it's still a thing in this update like your clothes would get wet but I don't know about the person getting wet because winter jackets are usually big so wouldn't it only be wet on the outside of it? I also have a windproof and water resistant jacket which I poured water on and it was barely wet afterwards.