Are pipe machine guns too strong for their tier?

bloodmoth13

By the earliest moment you get all the mats to make them, chances are that you may not even have ammo for them.

Also, if you're a spray and pray kinda person.. the pipe MG rips through your ammo stock pretty fast.

And empty gun is worthless in this game.  That seems moderately balanced to me.

13 hours ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

I have an idea.... Could be crazy

What if they all get an improvement in damage (especially the pistol) but you cannot repair them. Once they break, you can only scrap them for bits. I also think making them is too achievable, and I wouldn't mind it being more resource intense. Maybe even requiring forged iron, as it's not hard to find if you get your hands on a wrench early. Even if it's just 1-5. You're making a gun for survival, you may consider it a priority.

Not crazy at all, that is how I modded them in my game.  However, I didn't change the damage on them or change their recipes (I want them to stay early game weapons).  But I did make some other changes that overall affect how they work in my game:

• Cannot add mods to them
  • Cannot craft above Q2
  • Cannot find anywhere (loot or traders)
  • Switch the pipe pistol to 44 cal and the pipe machine gun to 9mm (changed the damage modifier to remain the same as vanilla though)
    • Obviously I also modded so 44 cal ammo drops at the beginning - now the ammo piles have 4 possibilities of gunpowder ammo at the beginning so that also limits the ammo per gun over the long run

10 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

By the earliest moment you get all the mats to make them, chances are that you may not even have ammo for them.

Also, if you're a spray and pray kinda person.. the pipe MG rips through your ammo stock pretty fast.

And empty gun is worthless in this game.  That seems moderately balanced to me.

Absolutely on your side. for me they are pretty balanced cause I don't swim in ammo early game. I often do meele early game and only use the pipe weapons for emergency

How about not having the ability to create guns to start at all unless you get lucky and find one along with the ammo.  Until then you're stuck with melee weapons.

Make the game last longer by adding more purpose and feeling of accomplishment instead of everything being handed to you on a silver platter.

19 hours ago, Sal said:

How about not having the ability to create guns to start at all unless you get lucky and find one along with the ammo.  Until then you're stuck with melee weapons.

Make the game last longer by adding more purpose and feeling of accomplishment instead of everything being handed to you on a silver platter.

Crafting a pipe weapon is not anything like it being handed to you on a silver platter.

Some folks can't even get their hands on the mats until they've had a game day or so in.

Early game, the only real balance for it is that 7.62 ammo is relatively scarce, but it does so much damage that if you don't just spray and pray you can check it last. I've always defaulted to the basic pistol, personally. I've liked stealth builds from the jump and when I spec into handguns I have several options. When I'm late game, the SMG works a treat with a silencer for me.