A20 - Memory usage generating 10K world

zootal

Linux Slackware 14.2+ 5.14.0 kernel.

32GB Ram

nVidia 2060

400GB free SDD space.

I have observed that when using the client to generate a 10K world, the 7D2D client will use up all available memory, max out the swap file, and crash. I can generate a 6K and 8K world OK, but 10K never succeeds. And I've got 32GB ram! I can't imagine what it must be like for those with less memory.

Has anyone successfully generated a 10K world using the client? FWIW, I can do this with the dedicated server, just not the client.

6 hours ago, RebelWithoutAPause said:

Although i'm not trying to do this on the client, i was successfully able to generate a 10240 world on my server. It did chew up 16gb of my 32gb of RAM though. It also took

about 10 mins though. Not sure if this is any help.

A 10240 world generated fine on my 16GB windows server, if that helps anyone

It did use 10+GB of RAM, but i never saw the system max out

33 minutes ago, mussels84 said:

A 10240 world generated fine on my 16GB windows server, if that helps anyone

It did use 10+GB of RAM, but i never saw the system max out

It's  not a server issue - I can generate 10K worlds on my server with ease. It's only the client.

Windows 10

Client side only

32 GB Ram

Nvidia 2080 Super

After generated a 10k map, I saw the Ram usage at 22 GB.  I wasn't paying attention throughout the generation, but I saw at the end that the game was using that much Ram.

So higher Ram usage (though mine didn't crash) and it doesn't release the memory even if you back up to the main menu.  Need to quit and restart.

13 hours ago, zootal said:

Has anyone successfully generated a 10K world using the client? FWIW, I can do this with the dedicated server, just not the client.

I just generated a 10k world using the linux client. See log here.

My machine has 20Gb of ram and an 8 Gb swapfile.

During generation all 20 Gb of my ram was used and 6 Gb of the swapfile were used. I didn't think it was going to finish, but eventually it did.

Linux 5.4 kernel.

What size is your swapfile? If it's the 2Gb default, try setting it to 8 Gb and see if that helps.