Food usage in natural health regeneration.

Gako21

I was a part of a bug report in A19 concerning the massive food usage when regenerating health with Grandpa's Moonshine. Now in A20 I noticed that the line

<passive_effect name="FoodLossPerHealthPointGained" operation="base_set" value="0" />

had been added to buffs that increase the health regeneration but not to the player itself. This left me wondering whether it is then intended that naturally regenerating health costs one food per one health point gained. While this mechanic seems understandable for me, the high value compared to the water loss (0.06 per health point gained) made me question it a bit. More so with the reduction of food available in the world of A20. 

16 hours ago, Gako21 said:

I was a part of a bug report in A19 concerning the massive food usage when regenerating health with Grandpa's Moonshine. Now in A20 I noticed that the line

<passive_effect name="FoodLossPerHealthPointGained" operation="base_set" value="0" />

had been added to buffs that increase the health regeneration but not to the player itself. This left me wondering whether it is then intended that naturally regenerating health costs one food per one health point gained. While this mechanic seems understandable for me, the high value compared to the water loss (0.06 per health point gained) made me question it a bit. More so with the reduction of food available in the world of A20. 

Did A20 make food more scarce? I've went through nearly all the notes but didn't see anything on it. I actually always having too much food with the vending machines, mass amounts of animals, and quests being so much closer to the trader. To the point that I don't need to venture far enough that I lose much food.

As for the perk itself, I'm having a hard time determining the food loss as a feature or bug. One on side, food gives health which forces you eat, causing you to gain more health in the long run since you don't have to wait for food to be depleted and it comes back way faster. On the other side, if you don't know about it's effects, you can easily kill yourself for taking the perk and the description is not clear at all where that health comes from.

I'm okay with it being the way it currently is, but if it does change that would be perfectly good too. Not quite sure how to go about this one.

Edited by Darklegend222
I need to work on Swype grammar. (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

Did A20 make food more scarce? I've went through nearly all the notes but didn't see anything on it. I actually always having too much food with the vending machines, mass amounts of animals, and quests being so much closer to the trader. To the point that I don't need to venture far enough that I lose much food.

As for the perk itself, I'm having a hard time determining the food loss as a feature or bug. One on side, food gives health which forces you eat, causing you to gain more health in the long run since you don't have to wait for food to be depleted and it comes back way faster. On the other side, if you don't know about it's effects, you can easily kill yourself for taking the perk and the description is not clear at all where that health comes from.

I'm okay with it being the way it currently is, but if it does change that would be perfectly good too. Not quite sure how to go about this one.

I agree.

Health is the more important value as zombies tend to remove that in large chunks while the food goes down at a constant slow rate so you can always throw in some food before it becomes critical.But when you are at full health you lose food for nothing (if the rumors are correct). So I have mixed feelings about it too, but on the whole I think the regeneration is still valuable for players who often forget to look at the health (like me). It may be that you lose food if you are at full health (not sure), but on the other side any food is used twice for healing with regenration on, once while eating, then with regeneration again.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I agree. Health is the more important value as zombies tend to remove that in large chunks while the food goes down at a constant slow rate so you can always throw in some food before it becomes critical. So I have mixed feelings about it too, but on the whole I think the regeneration is still valuable for players who often forget to look at the health (like me). It may be that you lose food if you are at full health (not sure), but on the other side any food is used twice for healing with regenration on, once while eating, then with regeneration again.

I don't quite grasp your point here. I do agree that natural regeneration in a great system in the game but the question was more whether or not it is intended to use as much food as it does at the moment. Compared to the general food drain (30 food per real-life hour) and regenerating stamina (0,00408 food per stamina point gained), it seems really high. On the other hand, though, natural regeneration isn't that big of a factor (1 health per minute base value) so the food drain overall isn't as high as one could think, but still definitely impactful.

24 minutes ago, Gako21 said:

I don't quite grasp your point here. I do agree that natural regeneration in a great system in the game but the question was more whether or not it is intended to use as much food as it does at the moment. Compared to the general food drain (30 food per real-life hour) and regenerating stamina (0,00408 food per stamina point gained), it seems really high. On the other hand, though, natural regeneration isn't that big of a factor (1 health per minute base value) so the food drain overall isn't as high as one could think, but still definitely impactful.

I think that is the trade off for the high regeneration.  I don't have any perk points and it took me about 100 in game minutes (from 22:00 to around 23:34) to heal back 4 points.  With the accelerated healing, it goes much faster than that.  So it is a boon if you got plenty of food and low on medical supplies; but if you are struggling to find food, then it becomes more of a liability.

47 minutes ago, Gako21 said:

Just realized, I compared it to the health value of food but I made the mistake of thinking it was always 1:1. Instead the ratio is mostly 1:0.5 with canned food and lower food and is very variable with quality food. Boiled Meat gives 10 food but 15 health, MeatStew gives 50 food and 25 health.

But to answer you, simply said eating a meat stew will give you 25 health immediately, but then with regeneration potentially another 50 health.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Just realized, I compared it to the health value of food but I made the mistake of thinking it was always 1:1. Instead the ratio is mostly 1:0.5 with canned food and lower food and is very variable with quality food. Boiled Meat gives 10 food but 15 health, MeatStew gives 50 food and 25 health.

But to answer you, simply said eating a meat stew will give you 25 health immediately, but then with regeneration potentially another 50 health.

Okay, that's what I thought could be what you were saying, thanks for clarifying! After looking it from that point of view where food is more of a "health reserve" opposed to just something that depletes over time and has to be maintained, it seems that health is intended to use quite a bit of food to regenerate. This doesn't seem to be too big of an issue on normal level of regeneration, but perhaps there could be some edits to the Healing Factor -perk to decrease the food amount a bit. Like a reduction of 10% used food per level. Or 5%.

2 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Something like Iron gut? :) (I know it's different than what you suggest, but, it's right there)

Well, now that you say it, yes! Interestingly enough, the Iron Gut decreases the amount of water used in health regeneration as well but not food. I guess it could be implemented on that per as well, after some thought.