Leveling speed in 19.5

ungkor

15 hours ago, ungkor said:

"My wife and I nailed down two 4x4's and a gyro without ever speccing into it. Between quests and trader buys and grinding, we've never been out of enough money to swing what we needed. "

It seems like there are two paths in this game that are in flux:  leveling up to get things, versus questing and raiding to get things based on random chance.

I guess that some of us prefer the former, and some of us prefer the later.  

It can be, I suppose, but that may be due to our experience with the game as well. We've already done some more "rugged" type of playthroughs and when we want to change it up we do. We're just really efficient when dealing with traders and increasing our gamestage. Once you get your first motorcycle or even minibike the game jumps from a crawl to a run for progress. It also makes it more fun in my opinion, as walking with a bag full of stuff (certified packrat™) and making little boxes everywhere drags it out for how we typically play. That extra storage goes a long way. 

I also personally feel like the attribute for getting vehicles/stations isn't the most rewarding so I avoid it like the plague. I don't use stun batons much and once I find a gun or compound bow (usually a combo) I stick to it and Intelligence doesn't bolster that or my armour choices, so. Meh, I'll buy it. 

Edited by Lenny Lettuce Lips (see edit history)

I feel like Learn By Doing is only an issue when it is something that offers a big enough advantage that it becomes a good trade off to do that grind, but the grind doesn't have any benefit other than increasing that skill. In Valheim there didn't seem to be any noticeable benefit in leveling up skills so I've never bothered trying to grind up skills. In 7DTD grinding out skills that increased the quality of tools and weapons was clearly worth it to some degree and so people felt like they had to do the grind, but they didn't enjoy it and there wasn't anything to be gained by doing that work other than the skill increases. Personally I enjoyed the grind to a point because I turned it into a minigame to be played at night to pass the hours of enforced inactivity in the early game.

I've also noticed that leveling while mining seems way slower. 

A night of mining with an auger, using 10's of thousands of gas, used to let you level up a point or two.  This was during Alpha 17.  During Alpha 19, it seems to barely move the needle. 

13 hours ago, ungkor said:

I've also noticed that leveling while mining seems way slower. 

A night of mining with an auger, using 10's of thousands of gas, used to let you level up a point or two.  This was during Alpha 17.  During Alpha 19, it seems to barely move the needle. 

Doesn't tell me much as you are leveling slower the higher your level is. But at a time when people have augers I think two levels per night would be way too fast leveling. In fact dooing 2 levels per complete day should normally happen in the first few days only

On 10/22/2021 at 2:08 PM, meganoth said:

Doesn't tell me much as you are leveling slower the higher your level is. But at a time when people have augers I think two levels per night would be way too fast leveling. In fact dooing 2 levels per complete day should normally happen in the first few days only

I guess it depends on what sort of game people think 7d2d is.   I've played everquest in the past for 10 years.   Spending an entire week, or month, to level 1 point, was the norm. 

72d2 right now, doesn't have "end game content".   It has limited content, and limited challenges, that are highly customizable. 

Is this a grinding game, where you need to mine and dig and loot ammo non-stop for 6 days, so you can barely survive the 7th day?

What is the purpose of repeating this pattern? 

I guess in my mind, 7d2d seems like something you'd play for a few weeks, 'master' that world, and then start a new game sometime later.  In that scenario, I'd expect to make more progress each night.   In a few weeks, I'd like to have basically "everything". 

Why would I spend 3-4 months playing a game with zero end game content?   This is, or isn't, a game like a mmo.  

People that are comfortable with the current pace, I'd love to hear from you what enjoyment you get out of the game after playing a world for 6 months.  OK, you've got all the gear, OK, you've got all the weapons, then what? Does it feel fun just fighting off the zombies week after week?

This game either needs to focus more on casual replay worlds, or needs to focus on progression and end game goals.  

7 hours ago, ungkor said:

I guess it depends on what sort of game people think 7d2d is.   I've played everquest in the past for 10 years.   Spending an entire week, or month, to level 1 point, was the norm. 

72d2 right now, doesn't have "end game content".   It has limited content, and limited challenges, that are highly customizable. 

Is this a grinding game, where you need to mine and dig and loot ammo non-stop for 6 days, so you can barely survive the 7th day?

What is the purpose of repeating this pattern? 

I guess in my mind, 7d2d seems like something you'd play for a few weeks, 'master' that world, and then start a new game sometime later.  In that scenario, I'd expect to make more progress each night.   In a few weeks, I'd like to have basically "everything". 

Why would I spend 3-4 months playing a game with zero end game content?   This is, or isn't, a game like a mmo.  

People that are comfortable with the current pace, I'd love to hear from you what enjoyment you get out of the game after playing a world for 6 months.  OK, you've got all the gear, OK, you've got all the weapons, then what? Does it feel fun just fighting off the zombies week after week?

This game either needs to focus more on casual replay worlds, or needs to focus on progression and end game goals.  

Again doesn't tell me much when you say 3-4 months. If you play once a week for a few hours 3-4 months are not much. If you play daily it is. If you mean ingame months it also is a lot.

I play about 40-50 real hours in a single-player scenario until I reached everything I wanted. In multiplayer it is similar even though we progress faster. But we also build bigger and that keeps us usually a bit longer in a MP game.

This game isn't finished, there is still an endgoal ahead, bandits (and a simple story line) will appear in a year or so with alpha 21. Until then this is like a sandbox where you pick your own goal, for example to build a big castle or simply get the best equipment.

If you personally don't have fun with the xp gain then increase it, there is an option for that. I don't have the impression that alpha17 was so much faster than 19, but it was a long time ago that I last played it.