GameServer.LogOn timed out issues - no player can connect my dedicated server.

cistehovado

1 hour ago, cistehovado said:

*SOLVED* 

mostly thanks to Beelzybub 

Issue was dedicated server was downloaded through SteamCMD and executed via batch file. Together with Beelzy, I tried to create server through client on another machine and it worked. So network outside was ok. I tried several extreme things including changing router. Then I was thinking what was different between my server and my gaming pc. - A steam client.

So I created new account on Steam, installed it on Server, downloaded the 7DtD dedicated server via Steam client, started it - and it finally worked!

I tried to disable client - Server was unreachable again.

So solution was to install Steam client and keep it running then the server works.

I also pasted complete log as you requested, at Thursday at 09:31 PM (edited), the rest of logs were no different.

I have never used SteamCMD to set up my server. I have just installed steam on my server, logged in with my account and then installed the dedicated server through steam. I just then had to start up the server. I think I may have had to log into steam again on my main computer but that was a one shot thing. Anyway glad you got it working. Now enjoy. :)

22 hours ago, cistehovado said:

*SOLVED* 

mostly thanks to Beelzybub 

Issue was dedicated server was downloaded through SteamCMD and executed via batch file. Together with Beelzy, I tried to create server through client on another machine and it worked. So network outside was ok. I tried several extreme things including changing router. Then I was thinking what was different between my server and my gaming pc. - A steam client.

So I created new account on Steam, installed it on Server, downloaded the 7DtD dedicated server via Steam client, started it - and it finally worked!

I tried to disable client - Server was unreachable again.

So solution was to install Steam client and keep it running then the server works.

I also pasted complete log as you requested, at Thursday at 09:31 PM (edited), the rest of logs were no different.

I see that post and it is empty. I thought you had edited the post and somehow erased the log. But I see now that it was one of the Tester who did it, probably because you simply posted the whole log in this thread instead of using pastebin.

The forum is not able to handle giant logfiles. That is why I said to use pastebin, This is also explained in one of the pinned threads in this forum section that tells you to read it before you post anything

• 4 months later...

I am having the exact same issue.

There are log entries for:

INF [Steamworks.NET] GameServer.Init successful
INF [Steamworks.NET] Making server public

a few more lines of log and then 

ERR [Steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn timed out

This is on a dedicated Windows 10 Pro machine I use for other game servers, we have Conan, Ark, Valheim, Empryrion, all work fine, just 7 Days to Die causing the problem.

I have tried both with and without disabling the SteamWorks protocol.

Installation is via SteamCMD just like I do for all my servers.

I have installed and run 7D2D Servers in the past via SteamCMD, on maybe 4-5 other occasions throughout the years, never had this issue.

Port forwarding is done, as I have for the other games which work.

I see a few posts about installing the steam client and then the 7D2D Server via the tools menu but I will not install the steam client on my server, neither should I have to.

I did a test and copied the whole 7D2D Server Installation to my gaming PC where I do have the steam client installed, obviously.

When the client is running the server starts fine without the time out issue, when the client is closed I have the same problem as on the server, a time out.

The question is what has changed in the 7D2D SteamCMD version that no longer seems to run fine without the steam client running.  I know / assume it works on other servers, even for linux installations.  Just not sure what is the issue in my case.

Log: pastebin.

5 hours ago, Reytag said:

Port forwarding is done, as I have for the other games which work.

That looks like a network issue. What ports did you open? You need 26900 TCP and 26900-26903 UDP open.

Need to be open in the firewall and router. You can use an external web based port scanner to check.

What does the client log say? Were you connecting from the same LAN as the server?

39 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

That looks like a network issue. What ports did you open? You need 26900 TCP and 26900-26903 UDP open.

Need to be open in the firewall and router. You can use an external web based port scanner to check.

What does the client log say? Were you connecting from the same LAN as the server?

Ports 26900 - 26905 both UDP and TCP are forwarded, router + firewall.

As the ports are default the client sees the server in the browser list, on the lan, I connect via lan.

When connecting the client gets stuck at "Waiting for steam authentication".  I can leave it as long as I want, it will not progress.

I also captured the server log again showing the attempt from the client to connect.

Server: pastebin

Client: pastebin

It would seem that as long as the server still has the entry "ERR [Steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn timed out" I need not even attempt to connect from a client, it is guaranteed to fail.

Web based port scanners don't seem to help in my case, they show "filtered" no matter which port one tries, ones I know are open or others I know are closed.

I just tried our conan server which a few people are playing on now, shows as "filtered".

1 hour ago, Reytag said:

When connecting the client gets stuck at "Waiting for steam authentication".  I can leave it as long as I want, it will not progress.

What's this from your server log? Is there an ip conflict? Do you have multiple nics?

2022-02-20T21:22:49 0.352 WRN Command line argument 'serverBindToIP' is not a configfile property, ignoring.

Also, have you added exclusions for your game & save folders in your AV software? (on both server & client)

22 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

What's this from your server log? Is there an ip conflict? Do you have multiple nics?

2022-02-20T21:22:49 0.352 WRN Command line argument 'serverBindToIP' is not a configfile property, ignoring.

Also, have you added exclusions for your game & save folders in your AV software? (on both server & client)

Ah, forgot to remove that, just something I tried, made no difference, was one of many troubleshooting steps I performed.

No IP conflict, only one NIC.

I removed that serverBindToIP entry, startdedicated.bat is now as default.

I added the entire 7D2D folder as an av exclusion.

Issue persists: 2022-02-20T23:49:53 73.925 ERR [Steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn timed out

7 minutes ago, Reytag said:

Issue persists:

Maybe it's permissions? You shouldn't use a personal (C:\Users\Max\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves) folder for the server saves.

Use this variable in your serverconfig.xml to set a path:

<property name="UserDataFolder"                value="absolute path" />

Generally creating a "Saves" folder in your game folder will correct any permissions issue.

If you have a second drive creating a "Saves" folder there will improve disk io performance.

In your case it looks like you do have 2 drives so you could do - C:/7D2DSaves as the absolute path.

Also, check your serveradmin.xml, maybe whitelist is enabled?

If you pm me your ip I'll try to connect and see if I see anything weird in my log.

28 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Maybe it's permissions? You shouldn't use a personal (C:\Users\Max\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves) folder for the server saves.

Use this variable in your serverconfig.xml to set a path:

<property name="UserDataFolder"                value="absolute path" />

Generally creating a "Saves" folder in your game folder will correct any permissions issue.

If you have a second drive creating a "Saves" folder there will improve disk io performance.

In your case it looks like you do have 2 drives so you could do - C:/7D2DSaves as the absolute path.

Also, check your serveradmin.xml, maybe whitelist is enabled?

If you pm me your ip I'll try to connect and see if I see anything weird in my log.

Hi there, I actually do have those folders configured on what was going to be the main 7D2D server, the "test" server at d:\7d2d_2 which I am messing about with all these tests did not have those path variables set.

I just set those, tried again, same error.

serveradmin.xml is the default generated, no alterations as of yet, no whitelisting.

I am still of the opinion that as long as "ERR [Steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn timed out" is still happening that dare I say one need not even try and connect, it's a guaranteed fail.  Have to solve that and then I believe clients will be able to connect and authenticate successfully.

I do appreciate all the help though.

Will have to head off to bed, nearly 01:00am here.

I might try the experimental / test branch tomorrow, see if that changes anything.

Not quite understanding what is difference between the steam client installed version under tools and the steamcmd one.

A temporary solution to at least get the 7D2D server working was to install the steam client, in this manner I can still use SteamCMD to install and update the server.

The client just needs to be started and running, I didn't even log in as you can see here: https://i.imgur.com/3KKbiQi.png

When running, somehow [Steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn connects / works immediately.

Still no idea why the 7D2D server won't work without it on our dedicated server, and again, it is the only game with this issue, I have 6 or so others that are fine.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 8:37 AM, Reytag said:

A temporary solution to at least get the 7D2D server working was to install the steam client, in this manner I can still use SteamCMD to install and update the server.

The client just needs to be started and running, I didn't even log in as you can see here: https://i.imgur.com/3KKbiQi.png

When running, somehow [Steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn connects / works immediately.

Still no idea why the 7D2D server won't work without it on our dedicated server, and again, it is the only game with this issue, I have 6 or so others that are fine.

This worked for me. I updated my server via SteamCMD, updated the serverconfig.xml file, moved my mods(dont know if you really need to at this point but i did anyway) Launched Steam Client(so it can update) left it open without signing in. ran server, and was great. so far Mines the only one showing PING numbers.

I then tested after Steam Client updated, I closed the Client and ran my server. It still works great.

So just make sure steam client is up to date on server computer