Server Connection Problem

Star69

I've got a connection issue that I'm stumped on. While playing on a dedicated server, I get zombies/players running in place, cannot interact with anything etc however I do not lose internet and maintain voip in Steam Chat. To the nitty gritty: Windows 10 Pro, dedicated server from Bluefang, no other players affected. Windows Defender is my antivirus and Steam folder is excluded. Game is 19.6 and no mods on the server nor do I have mods installed and never have had mods on this computer. Spectrum is my isp and I'm hardwired to the router. Here is my log:   https://pastebin.com/embed_js/w4nBeyX3

Second time in an hour it happened again and this is the log: https://pastebin.com/embed_js/WBGxEvWZ

I have done tracert a few times but not at the time of the crash and I never observed any packet loss. The server is in New York City, I am in Ohio. My ping is always a steady 45-50 and doesn't seem to change when this happens (although it's frozen at the time). 

Any thoughts? Any more info that you want?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Star69
various fixes (see edit history)

• Star69 changed the title to Server Connection Problem

I see an error message twice in your file

Curl error 56: Receiving data failed with unitytls error code 1048578

(Filename: C:\\buildslave\\unity\\build\\Modules/UnityWebRequest/Implementations/TransportCurl.cpp Line: 799)

This is just guesswork: It seems Unity is using curl for network connections with webservers. This showing up in the client log means your client fails to connect to some server and it must not necessarily be your 7D2D server. For example it could be a steam server or a telemetry server from TFP or Unity. If you are behind a proxy it could mean unity does not find your correct proxy settings. Turning off any telemetry setting might be a good idea as well.

Interesting. The only recent internet change on my end is I dropped ATT and went to Spectrum. I bought my own modem/router, Netgear Nighthawk Ax6000 CAX80. It is new tech, with antivirus and vpn at the router. I do not have the vpn active but the antivirus is working so any device connected to the network is protected. I have no proxies set up. My inkling is the router but I’m not sure how to figure it out. It’s interesting that the only connection that I lose is to the gameserver. I’ll try turning off the setting on the launcher for the services that gives feedback on what you choose during the game. If that doesn’t work, I’ll turn off the antivirus at the router. Googling the error leads to Unity forum discussions but no clear answer in language that I understand. I’ll give feedback as I try things.

Edited by Star69 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Beelzybub said:

Is there a way to add AV exceptions in the router? Like maybe, just the game's ports.

I’m going to try. I’ve been disappointed with the lack of adjustable settings with this router. The reviews are good, it has wifi 6 and I like the thought of antivirus/vpn at the router level but the settings are lackluster. I may, as part of testing, disable the antivirus portion. For me, I game and visit this forum so my need of antivirus is nill on my gaming rig but my wife, kids and grandkids use the network and I can’t trust all those devices not having antivirus.

My advice is to disable the ultimately useless AV on the router. These routers only detect known signatures and only on unencrypted (not SSL/https) TCP connections. It wastes CPU cycles on the router and does not stop jack, unless you manage to be on a highly insecure site somewhere and get a very old virus. Of the PC's I have had to remove viruses from in my day job, every system has an anti-virus and every virus is a new zero-day virus with a signature which is not in the database. Anti-viruses are virtually useless these days, which is why I personally do not run them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update to this problem of mine. I turned off Game Sparks.....still got disconnected. I turned off antivirus at the router.....still getting disconnected. So, I don't really know where to go from here. Since it only started once I changed to Spectrum for internet and bought a new router, somehow, one of those 2 things are the culprit but I have no idea how to dig deeper. My router settings are default and I went through those settings and didn't see anything odd or different from other routers settings I've seen in the past. My connection is wired, I've tried rebooting the router just before playing to no avail. No one else is on my internet when this happens. Typically, I play for about 3 or 4 hours most evenings and I lose the ability to interact with the game anywhere from 1-2 times an evening. I wish I had some odd set up that I could blame but it's pretty generic. I've checked firewall settings, verified that my Steam folder is excluded from Windows Defender. Any other thoughts of how I might work through this further would be appreciated. Thanks folks!

Good question, just the one I’m renting but I’ve had it for 3 years. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try another dedicated server. Playing on my own rented server that’s private, I don’t run eac on either the server or my machine for obvious reasons. So I’ll re-enable eac and play a couple of nights on a different server. Thanks for the suggestion.