Stuck on "Creating player..." screen when attempting to join friend's server

Satoricle

Summary:

Was playing on a dedicated server one of my friends set up on and off for several weeks. The last time I was able to get on, both me and my brother who were connected to the server had a strange issue where our pings started skyrocketing to 20,000-30,000. When we disconnected and tried reconnecting, we were met with a nullreferenceexception error that appeared when we tried to join the server after connected (hence getting stuck on the "creating player" screen). No players I know of other than me and my brother are having this issue with this server.

Pastebin for the log:

https://pastebin.com/wyNkatbP

Game Version: Alpha 19.4 b7

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows 10

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

System Memory: 32 GB - 3200 Mhz

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia GTX 1070 8GB

Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Video Settings: High

Game mode: MP client

Did you wipe old saves? Yes (on my end)

Did you start a new game? All of my current saves and all other servers I've tried joining have worked fine.

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? On

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug: Unsure

Solutions attempted:

Complete reinstall of my client, including uninstalling EAC and wiping registry entries for the game before reinstall.

Backing up and deleting folders/files related to 7days in appdata before reinstall.

Server owner deleting the .ttp and .ttp.bak files for my steam ID/character in the server's player folder (same error even after doing that).

Other things of note:

I don't have any problems when trying to connect to other players' servers after the error appeared for this one server.

I've successfully connected to the server from my household using a relative's steam account (though both me and my brother's steam accounts generate the error).

There are no problems generating a new single player world or playing my other already made single player worlds.

The only thing we haven't tried is starting a fresh install/map with the server, but quite a few other people play on the server and we don't want to wipe everyone's progress.

spacer.png

Everything points to your player files on the server being damaged. The only other small potential problem flags I have seen are a 12k world and that you had to connect with SteamNetworking which tends to be a common thing whenever people report network problems.

Could you ask the server admin to make a copy of and delete your player files again on the server. Since you only mention the ttp files, please tell him to also remove the .map file for your character and edit players.xml to remove the part with your player id.

And you should, at the same time, delete your local cache stuff in Appdata/SavesLocal.

Then connect to the server. If the problem happens again, let the server admin send you the newly created player files so you can publish them on the forum. I think a TFP tester should then be able to find out what is wrong with your character data and get a lead on this bug.

If the problem goes away, I would want to know the lines deleted from players.xml at least, maybe they give a hint to the cause.

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

Everything points to your player files on the server being damaged. The only other small potential problem flags I have seen are a 12k world and that you had to connect with SteamNetworking which tends to be a common thing whenever people report network problems.

Could you ask the server admin to make a copy of and delete your player files again on the server. Since you only mention the ttp files, please tell him to also remove the .map file for your character and edit players.xml to remove the part with your player id.

And you should, at the same time, delete your local cache stuff in Appdata/SavesLocal.

Then connect to the server. If the problem happens again, let the server admin send you the newly created player files so you can publish them on the forum. I think a TFP tester should then be able to find out what is wrong with your character data and get a lead on this bug.

If the problem goes away, I would want to know the lines deleted from players.xml at least, maybe they give a hint to the cause.

I showed the server owner your response and I was able to get on after he deleted all the files including the .map file as well as deleting my steam ID entry on the players.xml file. Thanks for the help!

20 hours ago, Satoricle said:

our pings started skyrocketing to 20,000-30,000

Dunno if this is the case for you, but, those super high pings can be a symptom of antivirus activity. It's recommended to exclude your client (and the server) from your antivirus.

Also, the server owner should enable Litenetlib.

39 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Dunno if this is the case for you, but, those super high pings can be a symptom of antivirus activity. It's recommended to exclude your client (and the server) from your antivirus.

Also, the server owner should enable Litenetlib.

Yes, 99% of the time I see this, it turns out to be either anti-virus or anti-malware software causing it.

3 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Yes, 99% of the time I see this, it turns out to be either anti-virus or anti-malware software causing it.

I had been playing for ~50 or so in game days without changing any windows defender settings before it happened which is a bit strange.

I did change the windows firewall settings during my troubleshooting to allow 7daystodie for both public and private (before, the public column was checked but private was not). I'm not sure if that is enough or do I need to change any other settings in windows defender? I don't have any other anti-virus.