Having trouble updating to 19.4 (server files)

Rizzano

Okay so I have a problem that is happening no matter what I do. I already have a 19.4 server running on my host machine.  I copied these files and created a new server instance, renaming folders and the server exe as necessary.  I have only one mod that only has a mod folder and does not overwrite anything else.  When I launch the server, I go to my laptop to connect to the server and it says server mismatch, server has 19.3. This makes ZERO sense to me because the source I copied from is version 19.4 but ok. So I went to the ORIGINAL server files, the ones I downloaded with SteamCMD and copied those, restoring my serverconfig.xml and again, renaming the server exe to match my server name and config file.  I launched the server, AGAIN, version mismatch. So third times the charm right? So I used SteamCMD and RE-downloaded the current stable version, 19.4. I then copied this folder over and started over, updating the server config file, installing the one mod and then renaming the server.exe to match the serverconfig file. I launched the server a third time and am still getting version mismatch server has 19.3 you have 19.4.

So I am at my wit's end here.  I have copied from the first server i have which is 19.4, I copied from the ORIGINAL unedited files, then I redownloaded stable and copied from that and nothing changes. It STILL tells me version mismatch 19.3  What the heck do I do now?

I did the command like you said, and it still was 19.3. I was hosting an event so I ended up having the participants opt into 19.3 to play.  I read something about the _data folder, deleting it beforehand, so I will try that next time.

I know this is so obvious and probably never had to be asked but did you check the version you are running on your laptop. I mean you are pretty sure you did everything right for the server. I sometimes have 3 or 4 versions on my computer and I know this sounds like something I would do, start the wrong one by accident.

Interesting problem. I think you should check the server log itself. It tells you which path it loads from and which version it is. Sadly it doesn't say which port it really connects to, that is something you would have to find out using the operating system tools. Also make sure the dates in the log are correct and you are not looking at outdated logs.

For example (hypothetising from total ignorance about your actual situation) maybe you haven't rebooted your machine lately or the RAT automatically starts a server from a location you don't know about. In this case an older server could block the port and therefore still be on 19.3

Another problem could be that the force_install_dir command didn't work correctly for any number of reasons. So: Deliberately delete a file in your servers installation directory and do a verify. It should redownload that file and you should be able to witness this in the file system and steam should tell you it needed to download the file again (though steam often downloads one file (the manifest) even if you didn't change anything so you can't rely on just the number of files downloaded. But steam hopefully tells you exactly which files it downloaded and you can see the effect in the file system anyway).

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)