Local MP to Dedicated: days set 1

Anonymoose

We have been playing on a friend's local world for a little while now, currently on day 13 or 14.

We decided to make a dedicated server so I don't have to wait for him to be online. 

I got the server running but it made a whole new world even though I directed the world to our wold save folder.

Our base isn't there and we don't have our characters.

Can anyone help please.

2 hours ago, Anonymoose said:

Can anyone help please.

There are two folders that need to be copied.

1: the World folder, which it sounds like you copied.

2: the game save folder, which is the save of all player progress on that World.

On a dedi server, the world goes in the data/worlds folder and the serverconfig.xml selects it with this line:

<property name="GameWorld"                        value="folder-name-of-your-world-here"/>

The saved game goes where the serverconfig.xml tells it using this line:

<!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->

or to the default path, which depends on your OS.

So you would need to copy your World and your Save to those folders.

Note that even after getting the save folder in place your maps will appear to have reset (all fogged over), but if you drag the map view around it'll start filling in as it pulls data down from the server. It's kind of a pain, but faster than walking/driving everywhere again!

8 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

There are two folders that need to be copied.

1: the World folder, which it sounds like you copied.

2: the game save folder, which is the save of all player progress on that World.

On a dedi server, the world goes in the data/worlds folder and the serverconfig.xml selects it with this line:

<property name="GameWorld"                        value="folder-name-of-your-world-here"/>

The saved game goes where the serverconfig.xml tells it using this line:

<!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"                value="absolute path" /> -->

or to the default path, which depends on your OS.

So you would need to copy your World and your Save to those folders.

So he sent me the saves folder, but the save and the world data look the exact same.  

I tried copying it over anyway but it didn't help

Thats what it looked like. I got it to work by specific the Save folder path jn the serverconfig.

It would load the save file (could see it direct to it in the console), but it wouldn't load the proper world

Thanks everyone for the help.

First of all check out the logfile (in [installdir]\7DaysToDie_Data. It tells you where the server reads the world from and where he looks for the save game. At first it may seem daunting to read through the logfile. But once you know what to expect you get lots of information out of it, especially if it doesn't work as expected.

If you are operating a dedicated server you need to be able to read it anyway, sooner or later the next problem will turn up. Also whenever trying to get help here people will tell you to post the logfile. If you had done that now I'm sure we could immediately tell you how to fix the problem.

Two small hints though:

1) If you change locations for saves or worlds in serverconfig.xml, don't forget to remove the "<!--" and "-->" around it.

2) If you generated a new world you should not drop it into [installdir]\Data\Worlds but into GeneratedWorlds below AppData\Roaming\7Days... (Not sure about the exact link). Though I'm not sure if it couldn't work in Data\Worlds as well ????

Archived