7Days not starting since updating my Linux operating system.

Tahaan

Yesterday I updated the operating system.  There was a large number of updates, including some related to Wayland and X.

I am running an Ubundu derivative known as KDE Neon.  It is based on the 20.04 LTS version of Ubuntu but with rolling updates specifically to the Desktop Environment.

Last night's updates was a long list and I may need to try and roll back to before the updates. But perhaps this can be fixed.

The symptoms is that everything seems to work, including loging in on the steam client, but when I launch the game itself it just hangs.  The game interface does not show but the mouse pointer changes to the flint knife pointer, and I cannot interact with the visible desltop without Alt-Tabbing.  After Alt-tabbing if I try to close the game from the task bar, it tells me this program is not responding.

My next action is going to be to start the game from the CLI to see if there is anything there that indicates what may be wrong.

A point to considder is that after the updates I did not reboot immediately.  I did play some 7 Days after updating.  Then after rebooting I started getting problems.

In case anybody else comes across this, the game started working after one more restart.

I did start it from the CLI in stead of via the launcher icon.  I did not remove any of the updates.

Next time I play I'll use the item on the menu as I normally do and if there's anything different I'll post about it here.

2 hours ago, Tahaan said:

In case anybody else comes across this, the game started working after one more restart.

I did start it from the CLI in stead of via the launcher icon.  I did not remove any of the updates.

Next time I play I'll use the item on the menu as I normally do and if there's anything different I'll post about it here.

I am not an expert like some of the others in this forum when it comes to 7D2D; but my past experience with updating the OS has always been errors / issues with other software if I don't reboot / restart the system so the updates are fully installed.  Ever since I noticed this in the past, I always do a complete shutdown and restart, watching the systems messages I get to verify that everything is updated and no additional restarts required.  I haven't had a OS induced error / issue since then (not counting bad updates pushed by the OS OEM 🥴  ).

Noticed a similar thing happening with a different game yesterday or the day before yesterday(?). The common link is steam as a starter

So my guess would be it was steam.

Tahaan, where did you say that you looked into the games's logfile? Neither did you post it here. Shame on you 😉

Don’t know if this may help any... just what I’ve seen when I have weird issues like this. I’m running Ubuntu 20.? With pop! OS.  The game works fine for me, mostly ;) . 

- I have a lot of mods in my current game. I have noticed that *every* time I have issues it’s good to have steam “validate local files”, and sometimes it finds a file it has to reload.  Well, this current game I’m playing (single player), I have to do the “validate local files” check every time as it always finds 1 file to reload. I dont know why, I haven’t looked into it as... well, the game works for now ;). So I’m not sure if this is an issue with recent os updates issue, or steam issue , or both.  I do believe that I had a few a19.3 games going (mod testing) and I didn’t have any issues like this about a month ago. 

So: give validating local files a shot, it’s a harmless thing to try. 

Archived