(A21-A20-A19) Oak's Pet Animals and Guards

arramus

Hello, My game is a little bugged with this mod. Nothing that walks can move anymore. Pets, guards, or zombies. However, anything that flies can still move. Zombies will still "agro" and turn to face you and swing their arms when in reach but won't walk, jog, etc. Also nothing that starts with a B will spawn from the mod (boars bears). I'm running a dedicated server with docker and most functionality works (chicken coops still ask for feed etc). Also occasionally the supply drop will bug out and drop every 2 minutes on the dot  which at first was exciting till I realized it never ended and nothing chased me as I was collecting.  

edit: I'm on the latest of A19 not A20, waiting on a stable patch for A20

Edited by cebear
more details (see edit history)

6 hours ago, cebear said:

Hello, My game is a little bugged with this mod. Nothing that walks can move anymore. Pets, guards, or zombies. However, anything that flies can still move. Zombies will still "agro" and turn to face you and swing their arms when in reach but won't walk, jog, etc. Also nothing that starts with a B will spawn from the mod (boars bears). I'm running a dedicated server with docker and most functionality works (chicken coops still ask for feed etc). Also occasionally the supply drop will bug out and drop every 2 minutes on the dot  which at first was exciting till I realized it never ended and nothing chased me as I was collecting.  

edit: I'm on the latest of A19 not A20, waiting on a stable patch for A20

Let me confirm. You installed the A19 version of Oaks Pet mod and your dedicated server is experiencing a lot of latency and performance issues ranging from total lock up to overzealous behavior.

One of the warning signs is certainly the never ending supply drop loop. While Oaks Pets mod does add items into the supply drop group, it does not govern the frequency of drops and this is controlled by default Vanilla code. I have only seen this happen when a combination of mods have been used with potential conflict or when a server is having a hard time to process everything. The other is the unresponsive zombies which are also governed by default Vanilla code separate from Oaks Pet Mod.

Sharing a few more details about the server specifications, player count, and mod list will also help to consider if things will benefit from being optimised to allow data to be processed more efficiently.

After a year after releasing the A19 version of this mod, the only time such issues have been reported is when processing has been a struggle.

3 hours ago, arramus said:

Let me confirm. You installed the A19 version of Oaks Pet mod and your dedicated server is experiencing a lot of latency and performance issues ranging from total lock up to overzealous behavior.

One of the warning signs is certainly the never ending supply drop loop. While Oaks Pets mod does add items into the supply drop group, it does not govern the frequency of drops and this is controlled by default Vanilla code. I have only seen this happen when a combination of mods have been used with potential conflict or when a server is having a hard time to process everything. The other is the unresponsive zombies which are also governed by default Vanilla code separate from Oaks Pet Mod.

Sharing a few more details about the server specifications, player count, and mod list will also help to consider if things will benefit from being optimised to allow data to be processed more efficiently.

After a year after releasing the A19 version of this mod, the only time such issues have been reported is when processing has been a struggle.

Hmmm, I believe the first place to start is the version of the mod. The place I got it from didn't have it broken by versions. Are hyperlinks allowed to exterior websites in this forum? I don't want to inadvertently break TOS by providing sources. 

It definitely isn't server resource issues as a friend complained about lag on the server before modding and I put it on 8 cores 16 thread @ 3.8 ghz with 16 gigs of ram and a quadro (pretty sure the docker uses 0 gpu resources but just incase it definitely has the horses for the courses ya know) After which we determined it was just his bad internet in Kentucky and I haven't changed it back to more modest specs. 

player count is between 1 and 6 with never more than 4 on at the same time but I noticed the issues solo as I wanted them to be a surprise to the chaps and used server side only mods (thanks for that btw it makes my life way easier) 

As far as other mods I have:
Autobots for A19 https://7daystodiemods.com/autobots-automated-mining-and-ammunition-bots-revisited/

Economy Boost (adds a semi trader vending machine so 1 craftable item to the game) https://7daystodiemods.com/economy-boost/
Electricity overhaul to simplify wiring and power draw https://7daystodiemods.com/electricity-overhaul-mod/
Eggs in fridges because eggs https://7daystodiemods.com/eggs-in-fridges/
Enable health bars https://7daystodiemods.com/enable-target-hp-bar/
obvs oaks pets (no need for link as you provided the same link above)
and one that I deleted in troubleshooting this issue which was zombies can be harvested for rotten flesh. I tried this one as the issue first because I noticed zombies not moving first and that seemed the obvious place to start till I noticed the issue with nothing with a B spawning from this mod and none of the pets or the one guard dog would move.  (no need for link as mod as been deleted and server was rebooted after uninstall and issue persisted)

if I can share hyperlinks I will edit this with links to all mods I have as well as the version of this mod I'm running
Edit: I'm also willing to post screen caps of logs and in-game / invite you to a discord and share screen of server settings and xml files etc. 

Second edit: after reviewing the hyperlink you gave to A19 mod that's where I got it and there is no versions lists of the mod simply a download button at the bottom that points to a single version of the mod for download so I'm assuming I'm on the correct version
Third edit: Hyperlinks added as they are all from the site you provided a link to so I'm assuming it is allowed in TOS
Fourth edit: The first time the loot crates went crazy wasn't till after I left my land claim block but after server restart after the uninstall of the first mod in suspect it would begin while still in base after a few minutes

Edited by cebear

@cebear

The hardware looks solid and on par to above par of what's being offered in the hosted domain. Plus this is your own dedicated so routing should be solid. AFAIK, dockers are typically more efficient than virtual set ups, and you have the dedicated rig at your disposal anyway with all it can offer.
I expect it's all running on SSD as well as you've made a conscious decision for everything else which is providing redundant flow.

All we've done in the past for such occasions is put in the mod you want everything else to be working with, in this case Oaks Pets, and add all the others one by one to see if and when the issues begin. It's pretty much a process of elimination to see if two mods (or more) in combination are conflicting. The mods you're running do not look like they are making any extreme changes at all, and apart from them adding there own new custom blocks to the game, have little scope for conflict that I can see.

@arramus
After doing as suggested it seems the electricity overhaul is the one. Adding 1 at a time I started with Oaks pets, then autobots, then eggs in fridges, then economy boost, then health bars, then electricity and confirmed movement of pets all the way up till the last mod was added and they all stopped when electricity overhaul was added. 

And your guess was correct on the SSD I'm running raid 1 on gen 3 nvme as the cache (all games are set to cache and run from cache) with backups running on raid 5 HDDs with snapshots and a DAC 10 gig link into my router with 2.5 gig ran to all desktops in the house etc etc. You can tell I'm a tech nerd first then gaming nerd second which comes in handy when a game says they've got a server version :D 

Would you have any recommendations on electricity improvement mods that do play nicely? Also a good place for a noob to learn modding for unity? I also play valheim and others that run on unity and would like to do more for the community and have a little more fun ya know
Edit: sad to report I lost 3 augers as one of the autobots deleted itself in the process RIP little buddies but pleasantly surprised that 4 rabbits randomly spawned in my corral? 

Second edit: forgot to say thanks for the help :D thanks for helping me troubleshoot, really wanted this mod to work in particular as I'm a farm bot and hate having to run around our massive base for the 1 screamer (we're using hospital as our main camp with one courtyard for crops and chicken and the other for animals) 
Third edit: sad to report chickens don't work, I can loot them but when I try and place a chicken it says child out of bounds? will be looting some supply crates and checking other animals

Edited by cebear

Okay, back with more information and bugs. I have uninstalled all mods but Oaks pets and guards and still nothing with a B will spawn, and chickens will not spawn and will open the console with an error saying could not load files entities stag/STAG for pet chickens and the loot drops are out of hand as well as wondering hoards spawn like the loot crate drops I think, this is just a guess as I've never had 3 hoards spawn back to back at my base. I found out that the autobots when uninstalled with this mod in place will delete itself and place a rabbit spawn point ( I thought rabbits couldn't be spawned but had to be caught in this mod) The chicken spawn error is instantly output to the console when the player drops into the world (I'm assuming it's thinking that the chickens are there because I put the spawn point down) 

The chicken spawn point will do the explode thing when placed after the error message with nothing in it's place, however, the boar and bear will do nothing and I must walk on them to get them to explode.

Just for a sanity check I monitored server utilization as this was happening and never went above 15% with the heaviest core taking 21% usage and ram is below 20% usage with 0% gpu utilization (as I suspected earlier docker and the 7 days server does not use any gpu to run) The server logs for the docker only shows what it's doing in boot then once the server is playable it moves to the in-game console which only tells me the above chicken error

I verified that all craftable items added by mods except for the ones from oaks are no longer in the game just incase it somehow bumps item entities or something to a different order that the mod isn't expecting. I'm at a complete loss if no one else is reporting these issues on A19

edit: all things in the world will move as expected so I no longer have that issue after removing the electricity mod
second edit: loot crates didn't start till after I attempted placing a chicken

Edited by cebear (see edit history)

1 hour ago, cebear said:

Would you have any recommendations on electricity improvement mods that do play nicely?
Also a good place for a noob to learn modding for unity?

Ya, I've seen some horror stories with assets built into electricity which sent one server RAM spiking to 164GB on a shared host which allows for as much RAM as needed. This was enough to trigger a safety protocol which shut that instance down and it was linked back to another electricity mod. And it's unfortunate this mod caused that because it seems like some of the first releases from that modder and they have a real talent for sophisticated features.

A simple electricity mod that hides wires and gives a little more juice...

This doesn't hide wires, but I used it for many months in A19 along with the Oaks Pets without issue.
For hiding the wires, this mod does it very well. However, one of the street lights causes the same issue you saw in your server.
In the recipes.xml it should be possible to remove or comment out the lighting feature and just keep the fuse boxes which hide the wires.

xml modding is a good place to start since we are provided with a means to create our own Mod folders that directly append the game code. I learned everything from this forum by visiting the tutorial threads. After that, I went to a really nice Discord where many modders from here also communicate there. And if you're modding, it's also helpful to learn Prefab building and editing as the two generally go hand in hand. This Discord has some nice tutorials built into the channels for all levels. After getting a feel for xml, if programming is your thing, there are more complex projects out there which can also be server side only now with Harmony integration.

13 minutes ago, cebear said:

Okay, back with more information and bugs. I have uninstalled all mods but Oaks pets and guards and still nothing with a B will spawn, and chickens will not spawn and will open the console with an error saying could not load files entities stag/STAG for pet chickens and the loot drops are out of hand as well as wondering hoards spawn like the loot crate drops I think, this is just a guess as I've never had 3 hoards spawn back to back at my base. I found out that the autobots when uninstalled with this mod in place will delete itself and place a rabbit spawn point ( I thought rabbits couldn't be spawned but had to be caught in this mod) The chicken spawn error is instantly output to the console when the player drops into the world (I'm assuming it's thinking that the chickens are there because I put the spawn point down) 

The chicken spawn point will do the explode thing when placed after the error message with nothing in it's place, however, the boar and bear will do nothing and I must walk on them to get them to explode.

Just for a sanity check I monitored server utilization as this was happening and never went above 15% with the heaviest core taking 21% usage and ram is below 20% usage with 0% gpu utilization (as I suspected earlier docker and the 7 days server does not use any gpu to run) The server logs for the docker only shows what it's doing in boot then once the server is playable it moves to the in-game console which only tells me the above chicken error

I verified that all craftable items added by mods except for the ones from oaks are no longer in the game just incase it somehow bumps item entities or something to a different order that the mod isn't expecting. I'm at a complete loss if no one else is reporting these issues on A19

edit: all things in the world will move as expected so I no longer have that issue after removing the electricity mod
second edit: loot crates didn't start till after I attempted placing a chicken

All manner of madness is occuring. Removing mods while their assets are still 'in' the world changes item IDs and they become something else. An autominer can change into the next item in the list, be it a rabbit or stove.

It may be best to start a complete new World and go from there to purge assets and cached data. 7D2D is not forgiving in A19 with assets and will not purge them. Zombie mods are fine as they are dynamic assets, but blocks will remain and can cause issues.

41 minutes ago, arramus said:

All manner of madness is occuring. Removing mods while their assets are still 'in' the world changes item IDs and they become something else. An autominer can change into the next item in the list, be it a rabbit or stove.

It may be best to start a complete new World and go from there to purge assets and cached data. 7D2D is not forgiving in A19 with assets and will not purge them. Zombie mods are fine as they are dynamic assets, but blocks will remain and can cause issues.

Is there any way to salvage the bulk of the base? Maybe set my base to spawn instead of the base hospital? Or did I just bork 78 hours of labor....And/or can I just pick up the expensive things in my character and copy it over to the new world and suck it up and re smash those awful walls :( ....and if that's the only way to salvage the stuff one inventory is not large enough and I know server hopping isn't really a thing but copy paste character data back and forth for each inventory dump/ if I'm doing all this work....how would this work to just go to A20? I read on the official forum post that it's a fresh start on A20... 
Edit: can I set one player data directory for multiple servers to use??? that would be nice so we can have different worlds of r difficulty levels etc
second edit: ....me realizing where my augers went and where the rabbits came from a few hours ago....they actually became little buddies LOL

If you stay in A19, it is possible to export your buildings and import to the new World.

Have you ever used God Mode and Creative Mode?

God Mode allows you to bring up an export feature by looking at the ground near your base and touching z key. It places a blue box. Touching z again at the opposite diagonal size can surround the base. Then you’ll need to grab the box above/below to encapsulate before exporting. YouTube vids cover this. For your skill and inventory,

giveselfxp <value>

can restore your XP level and all the skill points you achieved and Creative Mode gives access to Creative Menu to get back everything you lose.

Same for A20 except the building needs to be update to compatible blocks. These Alpha possibilities are in place just for these troublesome periods.

Okay, I'll be moving to A20, I'll just give myself levels and we'll start a new base. (I'm assuming compatible blocks means no wet concrete or anything that no longer exists but later today is when the squad returns to wreak havoc on zombies so I need this up and running before I go to bed) Would you happen to know if there is a release for dedicated servers on A20, I looked up the server lists and I'm not seeing any on https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dedicated_Servers_List unless my server was already running A20 with an A19 pregen map? /is there a more appropriate thread for us/me to move to seeing as this is no longer related to the mod
Edit: Holy moly a 10k map gen with many cities Has everything pegged at 100% RAM, GPU, the works and i still can't see an actual usable preview

There is a way to download the dedicated server through SteamCMD and pull the experimental version using:

app_update 294420 -beta latest_experimental

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/7_Days_to_Die_Dedicated_Server

And you'll find an area dedicated to server function where @SylenThunder typically shares expert advice and support.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, arramus said:

First I made my Coops and Traps.

20211210213807_1.thumb.jpg.5b74f8453fafd170b2e2405b1b00c3ce.jpg

Then I placed them in a group for some and various spaces for others.

20211210214742_1.thumb.jpg.c200e7fa3a6c79e5be053913736fc75c.jpg

And gave them food.

20211210215210_1.thumb.jpg.3131b28af9719a1a163d490fd9581081.jpg

I didn't have any of those warnings yet.

I then added far too many more just to stress test.

20211210215625_1.thumb.jpg.9816518d602207edc9aa35280849b61a.jpg

20211210215705_1.thumb.jpg.c4604862f6c96d7d7bc50cd5f795392f.jpg

I still didn't receive any warnings yet.

I then placed some Animal Guards to increase stress on the game and added some more Coops and Traps.

20211210221409_1.thumb.jpg.9963d191c93b174cb8e81bc4bd122c71.jpg

It's waiting time now for the Coop chickens to hatch and for rabbits to visit the Traps.

20211210221525_1.thumb.jpg.26a6e444dacce2e55f9bd5679aa0e7ca.jpg

After the Trap was ready it moved to the collect stage and sunk halfway into the ground. I still don't have any warnings, even with this, but this also needs to be fixed. It was taken for granted it would complete the cycle properly.

20211210224651_1.thumb.jpg.c0238a9ff8150afcbed55e908447f46b.jpg

As for any warnings, I couldn't experience any yet.

Hi Aaramus.Thank you for your test.The warning wouldn‘t make the game crash.It could just be a minor problem.I suspect it conflicts with other mods such as huge bag mod.Thank you again!

2 hours ago, Klay-T said:

Hi Aaramus.Thank you for your test.The warning wouldn‘t make the game crash.It could just be a minor problem.I suspect it conflicts with other mods such as huge bag mod.Thank you again!

A little update was added about 36 hours ago to stabilise the animals a little and it's built into the same download link, but there are still some things to work on for the Rabbit Cage and Chicken Coop. As they reach the final stage they are sinking underground half way and we are unable to loot them. It is because of the way the code changed in A20. It is doing something very different and we are looking how to change it to another setup. I could test a way where instead of looting with the E key, you need to hit it instead to break it just like chopping down a tree. As you hit it the reward is added to your inventory. When it breaks it turns back into the first stage where you need to give it food again. The best way is the loot method though and it needs a little more experimentation.

@Klay-T Here's a possibly quite decent update.

Instead of 'looting' Coops and Rabbit Traps, they now need hitting to 'release'. Once broken they will be ready to feed again.

20211214040156_1.thumb.jpg.88eb641530bed91bd9f13715cc644ea2.jpg

My inventory gain on the right now shows what's collected as with harvesting.

20211214040201_1.thumb.jpg.3b64bd8637ceed07f54bc27cb5c0e5bb.jpg

All animals are roaming just fine. You'll see the bear and boar in there for players who were having issues with the 'B's'. I really am not sure what was happening there as I couldn't replicate that issue.

20211214034922_1.thumb.jpg.731898fcbf8560836118fbe3cf88a6eb.jpg

And the guards could return under a new class for the Trader. They seem to respond fine using this new setting.

20211214034626_1.thumb.jpg.b0b87cbf88f159daad4468f3f6ada0c6.jpg

@Superbug112 And one positive feature is the Junk Turret recognises them as a 'friendly'.

20211214044128_1.thumb.jpg.d1b32338d99b57fb164483b5019c365b.jpg

It has been tested on a dedicated server and gave no warning errors so far. However, feedback is always appreciated.

This update can be downloaded from the same link on the first post.

18 minutes ago, AliHeart said:

Can you make the untended bug a feature 😄 ? I'd like to scale my person 😄

Hahahaha. Actually, the code for the vehicle still remains in the mod and just needs removing a few little things to allow it to be read again. 

The first time I saw the player shrink was hilarious as it was sitting in the vehicle and looked ‘normal’. And once you get out it is fun to run around like that. However, the second time you get in the vehicle, it shrinks you yet again and after you get out you can no longer move and have to leave the game to reset. One of the modders from a mod Discord suggested making a machine which can shrink and then bring you back to size for questing in small places. Someone may actually find a use for it. 

7 hours ago, arramus said:

Hahahaha. Actually, the code for the vehicle still remains in the mod and just needs removing a few little things to allow it to be read again. 

The first time I saw the player shrink was hilarious as it was sitting in the vehicle and looked ‘normal’. And once you get out it is fun to run around like that. However, the second time you get in the vehicle, it shrinks you yet again and after you get out you can no longer move and have to leave the game to reset. One of the modders from a mod Discord suggested making a machine which can shrink and then bring you back to size for questing in small places. Someone may actually find a use for it. 

Sounds side splitting when unintentional :p👉👈 if it's possible I'd like shrinkydink size machine. I wanna split ankles at head level.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:57 PM, arramus said:

@Klay-T Here's a possibly quite decent update.

Instead of 'looting' Coops and Rabbit Traps, they now need hitting to 'release'. Once broken they will be ready to feed again.

20211214040156_1.thumb.jpg.88eb641530bed91bd9f13715cc644ea2.jpg

My inventory gain on the right now shows what's collected as with harvesting.

20211214040201_1.thumb.jpg.3b64bd8637ceed07f54bc27cb5c0e5bb.jpg

All animals are roaming just fine. You'll see the bear and boar in there for players who were having issues with the 'B's'. I really am not sure what was happening there as I couldn't replicate that issue.

20211214034922_1.thumb.jpg.731898fcbf8560836118fbe3cf88a6eb.jpg

And the guards could return under a new class for the Trader. They seem to respond fine using this new setting.

20211214034626_1.thumb.jpg.b0b87cbf88f159daad4468f3f6ada0c6.jpg

@Superbug112 And one positive feature is the Junk Turret recognises them as a 'friendly'.

20211214044128_1.thumb.jpg.d1b32338d99b57fb164483b5019c365b.jpg

It has been tested on a dedicated server and gave no warning errors so far. However, feedback is always appreciated.

This update can be downloaded from the same link on the first post.

Are the human guards ready to try out with the latest update? You are doing amazing work! This was one of those mods I never knew I needed until I stumbled across it, & now I don't like to play without it. Makes the world feel so much more alive.

1 minute ago, MandyCMoore said:

Are the human guards ready to try out with the latest update? You are doing amazing work! This was one of those mods I never knew I needed until I stumbled across it, & now I don't like to play without it. Makes the world feel so much more alive.

The human guards are ready to try out again. The junk turret can now be placed next to the human guards and it won't shoot them in the back anymore. The junk turret will still hurt the pets though. The download link on the first post hasn't changed its name, but the content has been updated where the files are stored.

2 minutes ago, arramus said:

The human guards are ready to try out again. The junk turret can now be placed next to the human guards and it won't shoot them in the back anymore. The junk turret will still hurt the pets though. The download link on the first post hasn't changed its name, but the content has been updated where the files are stored.

You just made several folks over here very happy! We will be loading it up later today. Thank you!

10 hours ago, DefeatedSouls said:

Hey there, we have this mod installed on our server, but when airdrops happen it is ALMOST ALWAYS turrets or pets. Any way I can like NERF that so we can still get the A20 stuff from the drops?

Thanks!

Mmmmmm, I just checked how loot is handled for A20 and there appears to be a change from a numerical probability to a text based template.

In addition, there is often a tendency that Mods are overly prioritised during the loot type process regardless of the probability being equal to other kinds of loot in the default game files.

I wonder if you could try something before we make any permanent changes. This will provide decent feedback and play testing in your server which will be more populated and facing bigger stresses than anything done on the test server.

In this mod, within the Config folder is a loot.xml file. This governs loot box containers such as the Air Drop box.

It currently reads as:

<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootcontainer[@id='34']"> <!-- Supply Crate General, the normal airdrop -->
        <item group="petanimals" count="1,3"/>
        <item group="turretguards" count="1,3"/>        
    </append>

in the bottom of the file. It is only a small file and contains very little code.

We can add the new probability setting that appears in A20 and change this to:

<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootcontainer[@id='34']"> <!-- Supply Crate General, the normal airdrop -->
        <item group="petanimals" count="1,3" loot_prob_template="medLow"/>
        <item group="turretguards" count="1,3" loot_prob_template="medLow"/>        
    </append>

This has added 'loot_prob_template="medLow" to the end of the regular code that governs what is dropped.

The choices in the default game are:

veryLow = 5%

low = 20%

medLow = 35%

med = 50%

medHigh = 63%

high = 75%

guaranteed = 100%

Setting the Pets and Guards to drop at 35% gives approximately a 1 in 3 chance and makes it the exception but still enough to be noticeable.

If you prefer not to try this manually, I can upload a test version in a whole mod which can replace your current mod and initiate on your next reboot. I wanted to show you it this way though as you will be able to fine tune it to low or greater probabilities as shown in the above list of choices. As this appears to be a new naming convention brought into A20, it will slowly trickle through to mods who may want to keep with the new format.

Edited by arramus (see edit history)

Here is how it looks after doing a mass supply crate spawn and checking how the inventory looked after collecting all of the loot.

20211219215241_1.thumb.jpg.053f6aed814724ab9ec0dbc7ae994de9.jpg

This is just from the test server which is exactly the same as a regular dedicated server set up but without the stress of load and player count. Some of those turret guards and pets are duplicates from different drops and it looks a little misleading, but all in all it balances out much better using the "medLow" setting and the approximate 1 in 3 chance.

That 1 in 3 chance also has to be weighed up against the chances for other items. For example, food may have "low" chance, whereas armor pack may have "veryLow". The game will then need to calculate the chances of all 3 against each other and some items which are way up there on 75%. There is also game stage changes to consider as well. But yes, the current spawn chance of 100% and the predominance of Mods to often take priority is too much and players may not be able to get their glass beakers early on.

See how it goes and what everyone thinks.