There are STILL hidden damage multipliers in blocks for zombies

Hollowprime

I was playing survival difficulty and I was possitively sure I'd die the first day of bloodmoon because I wouldn't be able to deal enough damage to zombies. To my surprise and despite dealing too little damage I quickly realised that I had no problem being protected in my base. Zombies dealt very little damage (about 20 per hit) despite making cobblestone blocks. The only thing I did different was using full blocks to protect my base. I went into a single player creative mode I made some terrifying discoveries about the damage done from zombies to blocks:

-"Fat" or "full" blocks like normal blocks/100 pillars/arcs got 20 damage from biker zombie

-50 pillars got 24 damage (20% more)

-Centered poles got 54 (270% more!)

For me at least this is unacceptable. I've been using all those nice combination of blocks like poles and sometimes pillars and I play with 270% less block hp than the rest of the players who make simple block bases?

Can you at the very minimum change the hp of the blocks and make zombies deal flat damage? Or add an indicator showing blocks getting more damage from zombies (but why would you add this complexity?) Zombies also deal less damage when diggint blocks.

• Hollowprime changed the title to There are STILL hidden damage multipliers in blocks for zombies
2 minutes ago, TSBX said:

Are you using any mods? Did you change the AI block damage setting? What game version are you on? I just tested in 19.2 b4 and Arlene was only doing 8 damage to all three blocks you mentioned, regardless of difficulty.

I'm playing on survival difficulty. Not modded. Biker zombie. Try with cobblestone poles/normal block and 50 pillar.

Its been extrinsically proven that zombie attack bonuses to specific blocks is nothing more then a myth that was never a reality. Which resulted from players misunderstanding a highly inconsistent phenomenon of blocks randomly breaking faster then expected by established in game logic. As it appeared that zombies would randomly get the super power to do 6x damage to what appeared to be certain block shapes. But said phenomenon was near impossible to fully test and prove due to just how inconsistent it was.

Now what's really going on is that zombies are clipping into the block's hit box with their own hit box during their attack animation. As a result it is fooling the game into thinking that the zombie is trapped in the block and triggers their emergency escape system.  Which gives them a massive 6x damage bonus to free themselves and disappears once no longer detects their hit box entering a blocks. Now the actual block hit box doesn't really matter as its possible to have this occur with all of them including full blocks but it's very rare to occur with those.

Basically the only thing that triggers the phenomenon is the exact position of the zombie's hit box relative to the blocks in question.

See this video -

1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

Horizontally placed pole blocks will take more damage from zombies (roughly 300%) and was sort of intentional to help prevent zombies from getting stuck too long behind them. There's a ticket for it to get addressed in the future.

I know this issue exists since A17 so it's a very old "feature". However, does this also explain the 20% extra damage zombie bikers do on vertically placed 50-pillar blocks?

4 hours ago, Hollowprime said:

I know this issue exists since A17 so it's a very old "feature". However, does this also explain the 20% extra damage zombie bikers do on vertically placed 50-pillar blocks?

Its the same exact issue as I mentioned above and was proven in that video, zombies never get a damage bonus against any specific block or orientation. The only thing that is occurring is that their hit box is able to enter the blocks to confuse the game into thinking they are stuck. Which is purely tied to only the exact position of the zombie relative to the block with nothing else mattering.

Nice to see my video coming up as an explanation! There was a bunch of testing I did, including a follow up video trying to show and explain what I saw happening.

People (on reddit, kind souls!) were able to replicate the 6x with even square full blocks. It's just a lot harder to set it up so the zombie glitches into it and does the extra damage, whereas some blocks (poles/plates) seem very prone to it. Centered poles for instance were a lot safer and much harder to glitch into.

I can see why it's there, it's just "over-aggressive" and if toned down so it's less glitch-damage and more "I'm really trapped, LET ME OUT!" damage instead as intended. In TFP's defense, they early on did hone in on it, that maybe it was happening a lot more frequently in normal game play than anticipated. Maybe it's also not super easy to "fix" either.

@Jugginator I also don't think it's horizontally placed poles. I showed that in my video before, that horizontal (centered) poles are normally just fine.  It's the edge-placed poles that had the issue.

Archived