Apocalypse Now Mod A20.5

killerbunny264

• 3 weeks later...

Minor glitch I've found: In two separate RWG maps I've gotten the T4 quest at zztong_NTT_HQ_01 (there's only one in this current world). The yellow exclamation mark is not visible...this time digging in God mode brings me to less than 2 m of it but that's as close as I can get yet don't see it. The quest is for naught. In my previous world, I deleted the task and queued it up again. Didn't help.@zztong, are you aware of this? Doesn't appear that @killerbunny264 hangs out here...

The mod and the prefabs are a lot of fun. Happy New Year to all!

On 12/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, Melange said:

Minor glitch I've found: In two separate RWG maps I've gotten the T4 quest at zztong_NTT_HQ_01 (there's only one in this current world). The yellow exclamation mark is not visible...this time digging in God mode brings me to less than 2 m of it but that's as close as I can get yet don't see it. The quest is for naught. In my previous world, I deleted the task and queued it up again. Didn't help.@zztong, are you aware of this? Doesn't appear that @killerbunny264 hangs out here...

The mod and the prefabs are a lot of fun. Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for looping me in like that. I might have otherwise missed this conversation.

I'm aware of that happening now in two different cases for that POI. In the other case, it also appeared around back of the POI, possibly the exact opposite location of where the POI files place it.

I'm of the opinion the Quest Marker appearing underground is a bug in the game. I've not found a way to recreate it. I'm also aware that some believe a viable workaround for POI designers is to place the quest marker atop some deco trash. I have recently embraced that potential work around, but it won't be available until the 013 release of my modlet, which I suspect will become available in February, but I've not committed myself to a specific date. I could cut somebody a "work in progress" release if they wanted to "test" it, but without a way to reliably recreate the problem you'd probably be wasting your time.

Many people get to my POIs via the CompoPack. It has its own release schedule that generally (and understandably) lags behind my own. I know @stallionsden knows of the workaround as he suggested it to me months ago and I wish I would have listened to him then. He may well have applied the workaround to his copies of my POIs in whatever the most recent release of the CP is. I can't speak to that.

I'd appreciate knowing if every quest to that POI in that world puts the marker in the same underground location. If so, then maybe the bug is in Random World Generation. If not, then the bug sounds like it would be related to quest activation.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

On 1/1/2023 at 12:05 AM, zztong said:

I'd appreciate knowing if every quest to that POI in that world puts the marker in the same underground location. If so, then maybe the bug is in Random World Generation. If not, then the bug sounds like it would be related to quest activation.

In my RWG map, I spent some time looking into this. I repeated the following steps seven times (got kinda bored with it...).

1. get quest from Trader

2. arrive at poi (fly mode/no collision)

3. fly underground to locate quest marker. noted position.

4. deleted quest

5. returned to trader. in dm, reset quest list (admin option) until the subject poi became available again. 

6. accepted quest

7. returned to poi to confirm quest marker is in the same place (underground).

The quest marker was consistently 9m below ground, always at the same place, in front of the poi. I marked the surface location by placing a sheet shape and painting it pink. Whether the sheet shape was there or not, the quest marker always spawned in the same spot.

Interestingly, since I performed a 'cr f' command in dm for the first go around of the testing - because I had dug holes everywhere - the quest marker was not initially visible, although it did show on my HUD. Clearing the quest and accepting it each time there after did indeed show the quest marker when I flew down to it.

If I see something similar in any other play throughs in this mod, I'll be sure to post.

20230104042659_1.jpg

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

Interesting, and thanks for testing.

18 hours ago, Melange said:

1. get quest from Trader

2. arrive at poi (fly mode/no collision)

3. fly underground to locate quest marker. noted position.

4. deleted quest

5. returned to trader. in dm, reset quest list (admin option) until the subject poi became available again. 

6. accepted quest

7. returned to poi to confirm quest marker is in the same place (underground).

I wonder, I don't see where you started the quest and forced the POI to regenerate.

I wonder if step 3 were ... fly underground and start the quest ... if it would be any different?

I suspect the depth to which it is sinking is the depth of the POI. That POI has a basement, so 8 blocks down would be about right. If it were a POI with no basement I'd bet it fell down 3 blocks.

2 hours ago, zztong said:

I wonder if step 3 were ... fly underground and start the quest ... if it would be any different?

Well, I did do that a couple of times before I did the series of tests I described above. I couldn't get the quest marker to 'relocate' no matter what I did. But, I'll be willing to try it in a few days. I've started a new RWG map today and it's gonna take a while before I get to lvl 4 quests. Which is a good thing, because I don't want to get burned out on that poi. Will go back to the 'original' map in a few days. Poke about some more...

11 minutes ago, Melange said:

Well, I did do that a couple of times before I did the series of tests I described above. I couldn't get the quest marker to 'relocate' no matter what I did. But, I'll be willing to try it in a few days. I've started a new RWG map today and it's gonna take a while before I get to lvl 4 quests. Which is a good thing, because I don't want to get burned out on that poi. Will go back to the 'original' map in a few days. Poke about some more...

I do appreciate anything and everything you do to troubleshoot this thing.

@zztong

Ok, time to revisit this on my 'original' RWG map:

1. upon opening the game, went to Trader and in DM reset the quests a few times to get the NTT_HQ task.

2. flew to marker location as shown on my HUD. flew down to the spot but it was not visible underground.

3. Removed the quest from my queue, returned to Trader and performing a few (three or four) Admin quest resets got the Task listed again, and accepted it.

4. Returned to quest site, flew down and took a photo of the quest marker. Then clicked the marker to begin the Clear Zombies quest.

5. Killed 'em all. Even in godmode, at level 230+ it still wasn't a walk in the park, lol.

6. Returned to Trader, got my reward.

7. Reset the quest list at the Trader again, over 25 times, and could not get that task to show up again. I would have expected it to just come up again eventually. nope.

and that may be significant. The NTT_HQ is 450m away from my base, so no LC block or bedroll at my base would (should) be affecting it. 

I'll continue to follow up on this as a pet project.  My latest RWG map has three of these poi's listed. I'll concentrate on their nearest Traders, get to level 4 quest status for them, and see what happens next.

20230109015230_1.thumb.jpg.c47098c4f4b7662dd4ea08ecdb7a8dc2.jpg

4 hours ago, Melange said:

I'll continue to follow up on this as a pet project.

Thanks for the continued troubleshooting. I'll have a release soon, probably near the end of this week, which will include the workaround of putting quest markers on top of an object. That workaround is believed to avoid the problem. I've made that change to every POI in my modlet.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:03 AM, GW2 said:

Hello, is it possible to take out the mod "Traders are Destructible and open all the time."

Yes. When copying all the Apocalypse Now folders into your games's Mods folder, just omit the folder named "DisableTraderProtection". In other words, do not include the "DisableTraderProtection" as part of the mod.  Has worked fine for me for three play-throughs now with no problems.

I suggest starting a new game when you do this. I don't know if any saved games (that included the "DisableTraderProtection" mod folder) would be affected in a bad way.

1 minute ago, Ganeshakw said:

Ok. Any plan to get them in in future  ?

I am sure killerbunny will look at that at some point. Especially once TFP add in bandits, then there will be all sorts of mods and tweaks coming around revolving around bandits and mercenaries :)

Hey all, just started this mod with a friend. When I put a claim block down, he can't even put his bedroll down in the area and I am not sure that has ever been a problem? But moreover, is there anyway to change any of the code to make a claim block work for all in the same party? Placing and picking stuff up? 

1 hour ago, tommymsw said:

Hey all, just started this mod with a friend. When I put a claim block down, he can't even put his bedroll down in the area and I am not sure that has ever been a problem? But moreover, is there anyway to change any of the code to make a claim block work for all in the same party? Placing and picking stuff up? 

I've played on other modded servers and its usually required that your teammates are party members and allies (in case you may have overlooked this). Other than that, I play Apocalypse Now in SP, so I can't be of any further help this time around.

9 hours ago, Melange said:

I've played on other modded servers and its usually required that your teammates are party members and allies (in case you may have overlooked this). Other than that, I play Apocalypse Now in SP, so I can't be of any further help this time around.

You may be correct now that I think about it. Probably my fault. But second part of the question is probably great. Why can't every ally pick stuff up? There needs to be at least a simple code fix where you can change it yourself. 

13 minutes ago, tommymsw said:

You may be correct now that I think about it. Probably my fault. But second part of the question is probably great. Why can't every ally pick stuff up? There needs to be at least a simple code fix where you can change it yourself. 

Yeah, in co-op that has always annoyed me. It would be nice to be able to have multiple pick-up.

4 hours ago, tommymsw said:

Why can't every ally pick stuff up? There needs to be at least a simple code fix where you can change it yourself. 

Try posting this question again in the forum under the 'Mods' section (the Apocalypse Now thread may be too specific and not read by all modders). Give some examples as to what you guys can/can not pick up while in co-op. Maybe someone can help with a code fix. 

On 1/9/2023 at 8:32 AM, zztong said:

Thanks for the continued troubleshooting. I'll have a release soon, probably near the end of this week, which will include the workaround of putting quest markers on top of an object. That workaround is believed to avoid the problem. I've made that change to every POI in my modlet.

Glad you've found an apparent workaround. I finally got to Tier 4 quests from the trader in this play through.  

1) accept quest for clear zombies at NTT_HQ_01

2) go to quest marker location. quest marker is ~ 10m below the surface, but it is not visible when flying underground.

3) cancel the quest from my queue.

4) keep visiting Trader until this POI shows up on the list again. I did other quests in the mean time. So I did not invoke the admin reset quests this time of testing.

5) accept the quest again.

6) quest marker is now visible underground. activated and completed quest, returned to Trader and got my reward.

7) took on some other Tier 4 quests in the mean time until the NTT_HQ_01 POI was listed again.

I performed the iteration of steps 2) to 7) a total of six times, all with the same result:

a) quest marker location is always below the surface, in the same place.

b) quest marker is not visible underground until it is deleted from my queue, accepted again from Trader and then it is visible in godmode underground.

c) completing quest will allow the quest to be offered again at some point. But it will make the quest marker invisible again.

But it is a two-step process. Initially the game will not show the marker underground when flying down to it. Delete from queue, accept the task when offered again. Quest marker will now be visible underground (godmode) and can be activated, the quest completed and returning to Trader for reward. Rinse and repeat.

Thats about all I intend doing on this pet project. Don't know if my observations were helpful, but I did learn to use some in-game tools that I normally wouldn't have reason to access. Thanks for the POI's - keep 'em coming!

1 hour ago, Melange said:

Thats about all I intend doing on this pet project. Don't know if my observations were helpful, but I did learn to use some in-game tools that I normally wouldn't have reason to access. Thanks for the POI's - keep 'em coming!

Thanks for doing what you did. That's more, and further, than anyone else has gotten, to my knowledge.

The 013 release of my modlet is available as of Saturday. It places all the Quest Markers upon something, usually deco trash. I'm hoping this workaround puts the issue behind us.

Based on what your testing reveals, I suspect the bug is in RWG and that it is putting the Quest Marker down there during world generation, then just copying it back into that location after every reset.

I made bug report, located here:

I wonder if it might be possible to collect the world files and make them available with the bug report?

8 hours ago, zztong said:

Thanks for doing what you did. That's more, and further, than anyone else has gotten, to my knowledge.

The 013 release of my modlet is available as of Saturday. It places all the Quest Markers upon something, usually deco trash. I'm hoping this workaround puts the issue behind us.

Based on what your testing reveals, I suspect the bug is in RWG and that it is putting the Quest Marker down there during world generation, then just copying it back into that location after every reset.

I made bug report, located here:

I wonder if it might be possible to collect the world files and make them available with the bug report?

I did my own 'bug report' by responding to your comment in the bug report. Files uploaded to Pastebin, except I don't seem to have a file named generationinfo.txt on my computer. Yes, I included hidden files in the search. Its just not there. It is now 6:00 AM - been up all night working on this. Let me know if I can supply anything else. Frankly, since I'm running a major mod, I suspect a Tester to just shrug this off as something they're too busy to address. I hope I'm wrong.

so, I guess you can load the bug report into the bug pool now 🙂