Question about modifying vanilla POIs to make new ones

doughphunghus

Crap, I believe I posted this in the wrong forum :(.  Admins please move if needed...

Just curious....

we have a combo pack with a lot of new POis.  Would it be worth It (or acceptable) to take vanilla POIs and make modifications to them and then submit them as “new POIs”?  I’m thinking that it would be easy to add hidden rooms or mode the main loot around and get a lot of bang for the effort put in vs trying to build a unique POi from scratch. In game you would see  POIs that you thought you know everything about and then you realize you don’t recognize a door, or the loot room is missing, or where you thought the stairs went up the go down, etc.  I’m thinking things that literally change the POi gameplay enough to make it interesting and not “adding a window” or “tearing out the dungeon aspect” or “remove all zeds”. 

im very new to POI creation and don’t know if this has already been discussed or people are literally wanting nice/cool new POI’s, or if TFP would frown on it.  

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

Crap, I believe I posted this in the wrong forum :(.  Admins please move if needed...

Just curious....

we have a combo pack with a lot of new POis.  Would it be worth It (or acceptable) to take vanilla POIs and make modifications to them and then submit them as “new POIs”?  I’m thinking that it would be easy to add hidden rooms or mode the main loot around and get a lot of bang for the effort put in vs trying to build a unique POi from scratch. In game you would see  POIs that you thought you know everything about and then you realize you don’t recognize a door, or the loot room is missing, or where you thought the stairs went up the go down, etc.  I’m thinking things that literally change the POi gameplay enough to make it interesting and not “adding a window” or “tearing out the dungeon aspect” or “remove all zeds”. 

im very new to POI creation and don’t know if this has already been discussed or people are literally wanting nice/cool new POI’s, or if TFP would frown on it.  

Hi Doughphunghus

People wanted and obtained new POIS (from previous alphas) to give more variety to the game and avoid that it was always repetitive, same buildings, houses, etc.
Another point is the missions, which always send you to the same place and there comes a point where people get bored, most of the new POIS have missions.
I think TFP guys don't care if people add or modify existing POISs, they bring more life to their game.
I would also like to see what you say, give a change to the POIS that already exist in the game and give a new air to the vanilla game.

Regards

Thanks for the input.  Beyond giving more long winded explanations of why I think this is a good

idea, here’s some shorter reasons:

- I tried making some small underground POIs. Took a long time to make it look “ok”. Would take a longer time to make them look good enough and be questable, etc.

- I feel that the amount of work required to make a good, fully functioning POI is too great for most people (I salute those that can and have done it!)

- the vanilla POIs have all the “new” game elements and design baked in already. Adding a few rooms (or making the dungeon path more interesting, and ending up with a nice looking, fully functioning POI seems like minimal work, relative to making a new POI.
- If TFP makes some POI breaking changes, the “new” vanilla POIs can likely just be used and the changes you/we make just be redone on the new POIs. No need to backport if the changes are small (“just rebuild another basement and move the loot down there, doesn’t have to be exactly like the old one”).

- it might spark another combo pack? Like “this contains only vanilla a19 modded POIs” that you can also load with the combo pack (which could be just original community built POIs). This might lessen the work for the combo pack maintenance, as these POIs could not be added to it on purpose (possibly?).  I don’t know their pain other than just adding a bunch of slightly modified POIs and then walking away is likely to bog them down from keeping up with the completely built from the ground up community POIs that TFP don’t maintain.  In a way, this would kinda get TFP to maintain them , in a way. The only thing you’d have to do is keep the original POi name and adds some text to it, like the modder name and a number (0,1,2, etc) for ownership and “figuring out which POI they made changes to”

Im kinda surprised this hasn’t been done more often, even just ramming 2-4 POIs together with some tight fencing and moving doors around to get “super vanilla dungeons” duplexes. Or dropping a tower 1/2 underground, move the loot, fix the lobby, and then you enter through the middle.

2 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Thanks for the input.  Beyond giving more long winded explanations of why I think this is a good

idea, here’s some shorter reasons:

- I tried making some small underground POIs. Took a long time to make it look “ok”. Would take a longer time to make them look good enough and be questable, etc.

- I feel that the amount of work required to make a good, fully functioning POI is too great for most people (I salute those that can and have done it!)

- the vanilla POIs have all the “new” game elements and design baked in already. Adding a few rooms (or making the dungeon path more interesting, and ending up with a nice looking, fully functioning POI seems like minimal work, relative to making a new POI.
- If TFP makes some POI breaking changes, the “new” vanilla POIs can likely just be used and the changes you/we make just be redone on the new POIs. No need to backport if the changes are small (“just rebuild another basement and move the loot down there, doesn’t have to be exactly like the old one”).

- it might spark another combo pack? Like “this contains only vanilla a19 modded POIs” that you can also load with the combo pack (which could be just original community built POIs). This might lessen the work for the combo pack maintenance, as these POIs could not be added to it on purpose (possibly?).  I don’t know their pain other than just adding a bunch of slightly modified POIs and then walking away is likely to bog them down from keeping up with the completely built from the ground up community POIs that TFP don’t maintain.  In a way, this would kinda get TFP to maintain them , in a way. The only thing you’d have to do is keep the original POi name and adds some text to it, like the modder name and a number (0,1,2, etc) for ownership and “figuring out which POI they made changes to”

Im kinda surprised this hasn’t been done more often, even just ramming 2-4 POIs together with some tight fencing and moving doors around to get “super vanilla dungeons” duplexes. Or dropping a tower 1/2 underground, move the loot, fix the lobby, and then you enter through the middle.

It has been done lol..

I myself made a city combo pack with all the old tfp vanilla before they were removed or updated to dungeon.

People want diff types a pois and the more the merrier.  Once a poi is built it isnt to hard to bring to the next alpha and update. Personal wants etc are a factor.

3 hours ago, stallionsden said:

It has been done lol..

I myself made a city combo pack with all the old tfp vanilla before they were removed or updated to dungeon.

People want diff types a pois and the more the merrier.  Once a poi is built it isnt to hard to bring to the next alpha and update. Personal wants etc are a factor.

Awesome!  I had some ideas and messed around with the vanilla poi editor a bit (watched some YouTube tutorials) so I’ve got “the basics” down, but not much more. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time cranking out a handful of POIs and then find out I was crossing some line and no one wanted to or could use them. 

23 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

Awesome!  I had some ideas and messed around with the vanilla poi editor a bit (watched some YouTube tutorials) so I’ve got “the basics” down, but not much more. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time cranking out a handful of POIs and then find out I was crossing some line and no one wanted to or could use them. 

if you want some help, either add me on steam 128579774 or discord creator#1366 I would love to work with you in getting some prefabs done :)

On 11/2/2020 at 2:12 AM, doughphunghus said:

It's not a bad way to familiarise yourself with the editor and how it works and as mentioned by someone else, more variety is always welcome.  Whether you re-plan a dungeon crawl or simply want to create non-dungeon/quest versions for filling out hubs, there will always be a use for more prefabs and you'll probably find your own style/preference along the way.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:37 PM, fortbrick2 said:

if you want some help, either add me on steam 128579774 or discord creator#1366 I would love to work with you in getting some prefabs done :)

Thanks :)  I’ll mess around a bit and see if what I’m thinking of will work well or if I run into issues.  I’m primarily right now in the “hmmmm” stage of ideas as I was thinking of making a mod with some basic underground custom prefabs (and I may still do that, it was just a lot of work) but I’m realizing that maybe I can do what I’m thinking of with pre-made ones.  And if I’m going to do that work, maybe making even more prefabs would be fun and useful, and I don’t want to lock them down into just some mod I make, I’d rather them be useable/available for everyone. I’ll let you know!

Archived