Hammers and Hunting Knives

StevenShelby

Been finding a lot of good loot recently including a level 6 hunting knife and a level 4 claw hammer. I was excited at first, but then I started to wonder if they even benefit from gaining higher levels.

So my question is; Do claw hammers and hunting knives benefit from higher levels? I'm not talking greater damage and durability. I'm purely talking about upgrading blocks and harvesting carcasses respectively. Because I know claw hammers always upgrade blocks in 2 swings regardless, but do they get faster at swinging? Same with hunting knifes. Do they harvest more, get faster, both or does the level matter?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about claw hammers, but the knife does get a higher block damage with higher quality wich means faster harvesting. For more gain when harvesting with the knife  you need to skill Huntsman, found in the Fortitude tree, faster swinging would be Flurry of Blows under Agility. More damage with the knife would be Deep cuts also under Agility.

Hammers basically don't benefit from levels unless you're using them to break blocks (which isn't a bad idea actually, they get full harvest and they break metal and stone only a bit slower than an iron pickaxe. Can save an inventory slot if you're not finding good pickaxes yet), since mods don't boost repairing at all and they're terrible weapons compared to literally any iron-tier weapon.

Knives absolutely benefit though, they don't usually deal much more damage (2-5 points of difference between levels 1 and 6 from my experience, though randomized weapon stats are a thing), but the increased block damage significantly speeds up harvesting and the extra mod slots are huge, since each mod further increases both damages even if it's not a super useful mod by itself.

The machete is weird, it's totally different in function from the lower tiers. The lower tiers are fast, low-stamina spam weapons. The machete is more or less a normal weapon that also causes bleeding. I almost wish there was a T3 knife-style weapon alongside the machete, maybe a military combat knife?

On 9/11/2020 at 2:15 PM, Teacyn said:

The machete is weird, it's totally different in function from the lower tiers. The lower tiers are fast, low-stamina spam weapons. The machete is more or less a normal weapon that also causes bleeding. I almost wish there was a T3 knife-style weapon alongside the machete, maybe a military combat knife?

Or a Sword! Just look at the new Steel Axe... that give me a lot of ideas haha :) 

Archived