Crafting Stations - Dedicated Server

Zarf

Hello,

So in A18 it was helpful to load up a crafting station, for instance a Forge, with wood, set it to doing what it needed to do and logging out.

I would come back hours later or the next day and it would be done.

This is helpful for those of us that only get an hour here and there to play to still get things done.

But, in A19, I loaded up the Forge with wood and raw materials.  I logged back in later and the time had not moved at all and obviously the forge had not done any processing.

If I was closing the game down I would obviously understand, but on a dedicated server it would be great for the instance to stay live if something is going on even if no player is logged in.

Was this an intentional change to game mechanics or did I miss some value in my server config?

Thanks

It was great! I would start 6 cement mixers running making concrete.

I'd come back later and it would all be done.

I'm thinking it wasn't supposed to work that way and it got fixed in A19 which will be sad for a part time player.

9 minutes ago, Zarf said:

It was great! I would start 6 cement mixers running making concrete.

I'd come back later and it would all be done.

I'm thinking it wasn't supposed to work that way and it got fixed in A19 which will be sad for a part time player.

Was time passing in the game or were the workstations simply processing while time stood still?

Yes, in game time did pass while no one was on the server if the forges or workbenches were functioning.

There are only two of us that use the server so it was easy to know when anyone was on the server or not.

1 hour ago, Zarf said:

Yes, in game time did pass while no one was on the server if the forges or workbenches were functioning.

Are you talking about A18 here? My experience on our server if both of us were logged out, but forges were working when we logged out is:

1. Forge time does not stop - if there is 30 minutes left to process then 30 minutes after logout the forge will be done
  2. Game time does stop - if you logged out at 10:00 AM then it will be 10:00 AM when you sign back in (even though the forge will be done)

I just did a very short test (a 5-minute forge workload) and this seemed to hold up (A18). I'll do a longer test; maybe I've been misinterpreting what I've seen.

Whatever the case, I have always thought it was a sort of convenient bug. I expected that eventually they would pause "forge time" the same way they pause "game time" (or so I thought) when nobody is logged on.

Yes, I miss this feature too. Same goes for crops growth too. A18 I could login and my crops/trees were ready to be harvested, but sadly its no longer the case in A19. With only me and a friend that plays I'm thinking I'll just do away with my bluefang server, the continuous processing and growth was one of my major deciding factors on getting a server in the first place.

So I tested A18 and I think it is behaving as I described above. I set a forge to cooking 1000 cement for ~28 minutes and started it at 9:20 game time. I then logged out for about 10 minutes and logged back in. The server is set to 120 minute days, so every real minute is 12 minutes of game time. If "Forge Time" continues, but "Game Time" stops when logged out, then I would expect the game time to be around 9:21 or so (a little time passes during logout and login), but the forge to be about 10 minutes through its work. That is exactly what I found when I logged back in - game time was 9:22, but forge had completed 10 real-time minutes of work.

image.png.c737e2efbe2f1d4f820c23184f1c6ade.png

If Game Time continued as long as a forge was running, then I would have expected it to show about 11:20AM on the game clock (10 minutes of real time x 12 minutes of game time per IRL minute).

And but so, game time stops, forge time does not stop. This was a handy exploit to get extra resources refined/crafted while game time did not pass, but it probably should have been fixed as they did in A19.

Archived