Big fps drop on certain textures

dowz0r

I noticed on A19 I get a massive FPS drop when I look towards gravel type ground textures. I can be sitting at 75 fps, then suddenly it'll plummet when I look at certain terrain/ground textures. The gravel type seems to make me drop the most. Anyone else experience something similar? 

Yea, ive been having a similar issue for a while now, not just in a19. most of the time, during the night it gets into the single frames. then, im back above 50 after a couple in game hours. when that happens if i simply change my screen resolution it goes back to normal (50+)

i have noticed it is worse in a19. but again, if i lower or raise my resolution it goes back to 50+

3 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Turn down your filter texturing. Maybe use dynamic resolution. Try turning off sun shafts (god rays).

Dynamic resolution actually killed my fps for some reason. Sun shafts were already off. Texture filtering didn't do much. I notice specifically when I go into the little cave like tunnels in POIs that my FPS gets cut in half.

Image below is an example. These types of places cut my fps in half. 

7days.jpg

The second image is also an area or texture that makes me lose like 20-30 fps. When I look at this hill, I lose FPS, but if I walk into the house and look towards the hill, I maintain my fps. Also if I look at this area from a further distance, my fps doesn't take as much of a hit, but I did lose like 5-10 fps. 

7days 2.jpg

Idk. Maybe clean your game files out, verify integrity, update graphics card driver. Turn off texture streaming or turn it on. Try different settings, specifically shadows/lighting (I'm sure that's it, you're looking at a flood lamp there in the cave pic, notice in the second you have light casting on the gravel texture too);  if I Can get a stable 40 - 60 FPS range outdoors (sometimes dips to 35) on native resolution full or half textures (depending what I'm doing) on my laptop you can too. 

3 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Idk. Maybe clean your game files out, verify integrity, update graphics card driver. Turn off texture streaming or turn it on. Try different settings, specifically shadows/lighting (I'm sure that's it, you're looking at a flood lamp there in the cave pic, notice in the second you have light casting on the gravel texture too);  if I Can get a stable 40 - 60 FPS range outdoors (sometimes dips to 35) on native resolution full or half textures (depending what I'm doing) on my laptop you can too. 

Hmm, I'll play around a bit more. Just had something interesting happen. Just booted up my game and suddenly I don't get such a dramatic FPS drop, infact I don't think I get one at all looking at this same little hill. 

7days 3.jpg

Yeah, currently there is an FPS drop around morning / evening time. Has to do with sun light and shadows. It's heaviest at dawn and goes away. Shadows appear to be dropping your FPS (WIP still and known by the staff). Turn your shadows, SSAD, sun rays off and see what happens.

i've got similar probs, but those probs are gone after a while. it's weird. sometimes the fps drops to ~30 from ~70 when looking lets say to a waterpond - then after some seconds the same perspective is again 70fps. totally strange. it's not reproducable and happens from time to time. im playing on ultra. when switching to normal. similar happens, even on low. somehow it has nothing to do with the graphicsetting. looks like a engine issue for me

So here's another strange scenario where my fps drops, seems to have nothing to do with shadows really (also turned off shadows). In the screenshot, it is mid day in game. Looking straight ahead, my fps is 45 instead of 65-75ish. If I lower my characters head and look more at the gravel texture on the path, I lose even more FPS - looking only at the gravel it goes down to 35 ish fps. I think it's literally this gravel texture that's messing up my fps. I can run over to the left a bit where there is only the grassy terrain and my fps will be a stable 65 ish even with shadows on the highest setting.

I'm curious if this is just me having this issue. I have a GTX 1060 3gb, i7 8700k and 16gb of ram. I'm going to try and throw the game on my m.2 ssd, also maybe doing a reinstall as well. 

7days 1.jpg

*Reinstalling and moving the game on a faster drive didn't really help unfortunately. 

I have noticed similar fps drops, I feel like there is a memory leak of some kind with textures. I can restart the game and my fps will return to normal for a little while.

The big fps killers are:

Multiplayer, water, lighting, sand/gravel.

I am sure they will get more stable as always, but something right now is very wrong.

I've been experiencing this a lot on A19 especially in areas with some of the new POIs.  The Home Depot type place is brutal.  These are new fps drops for me, I've played for a few thousand hours. 

I haven't fiddled too much with settings but SSAO, Godrays and especially shadows affect the frame rate.  If you turn off shadows most of the issues go away but it defeats the new beautiful lighting =/

So I basically solved my issue, and I've actually done this in alpha 18 before and had this in the back of my head. I had to lower my terrain quality to below medium and my FPS spikes back to 65-75. 

As in the pictures above, there is this gravel hill behind my base, if I look at it, it makes my FPS tank immediately from 75 to 20, although this depends on how close I am to the hill. Once I turn my textures to low, I can look at the hill and have 75 fps. If I even turn it up to medium, it tanks back down to 20, so there's no difference between medium, high, ultra, etc. I'm assuming this is some engine bug with the texture. Maybe other people can replicate my situation to see if it isn't just specific to me. 

At least, from what I can tell, the low terrain quality isn't really noticeable I think. In fact I'm almost the certain that the terrain quality does not change at all. 

18 hours ago, h0tr0d said:

Try lowering your mouse polling rate to 125 Hz; change it through your mouse software. Fixed all my hitching issues. I noticed that whenever I moved my mouse it hitched; saw fps drop from 1500 to 2 if I moved it back and forth fast at the main menu.

Quick check here: https://zowie.benq.com/en/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

Doesn't seem like this is the root of my issue, but thanks for the post. I believe I found the issue which is with terrain quality and possibly some bug in the engine or texture. 

Replying here to note that I could also reproduce the terrain quality issue for anyone searching. Medium, High, and Ultra all look similar and have similar extremely low performance; switching off to Low results in an immediate change. I was using an evil region of snow and went from ~25fps to over 90. Will bug report later if the original poster has not.

Archived