Crafting system

konva

Hello, its just me, or anyone else miss the old crafting system, the crafting grid. Imo, there are pletny of items you can craft. wonder if it will be available with 5x5 grid which was in A9 or A10. This would make game interesting and harder I guess :)

I remember some discussion in A15/A16 where Madmole did seem pleased to have removed it and I never heard anything about a change of mind. There is also no recent discussion by players wanting it back. Also the game is in a stage where they avoid redesigns and mostly add features and content and polish it.

I would say the chance that the grid comes back is as big as winning a million in a lottery.

I found that system to be ridiculous in Minecraft Alpha back then already. (It might date back even further to Diablo 2)

The idea might have been to make crafting like a "puzzle" to find out new item-recipes. But its not the 90s, and all recipes can be looked up online.

Its just making it tedious for new players.

An idea for crafting would be to use a recipe grid instead of a list (like in Empyrion). It can show more recipes at once, using the actual icon of the target item.

1 hour ago, Damocles said:

An idea for crafting would be to use a recipe grid instead of a list (like in Empyrion). It can show more recipes at once, using the actual icon of the target item.

Imho showing the menu as a grid instead of a list is just an optical change, but doesn't change the crafting system itself.

The main difference in Empyrion or Ark is, that there are much more intermediate items you need to craft for a final item. Both of them implement a system to craft the intermediate items automatically in multiple steps which of course also increases the crafting time. 7d2d doesn't have such a system and without that i find it really anyoing if you have to craft intermediate items manually, like some mods require crafting wood into sticks and stone into sharp stone before you finally can craft an arrow.

Depends on how it is used. If it offered something to the game, ever-changing meta-knowledge instead of just redirecting you to the wiki, or if the recipes were malleable (e.g. adding different parts to a recipe or changing the number of mats in a recipe to add durability or smth) then it would be cool to have.

But personally, felt indifferent about it and don't miss it, (unlike LBD. Muhaha this is a LBD thread now).

Archived