Find Map, don't start with one

AaronG85

With all the talk of A19 being harder early on making mid and late game harder to get to I thought of a newer fun way to make it harder.

What if when we start we only have a simple compass, then through progression (or even books) we learn map making (and we get the map we have now) then we discover fragments of the map through a new book series that shows us parts of the map (could be POI, could be a chunk of map, could be a mineshaft, could be traders, the ideas are limitless) this way the earl game is alot of blind discovering and having to remember where you came from or where you left your base.

I think it could be a fun addition to make early game a little harder and expand on the usage of books.

I would love this, would make books once again, even more worthwhile to track down, or a skill (like cartography, which sounds like a perception perk)

Rank 1 of 3 (Mini map only shows T1 POI's you've cleared)

Rank 2 of 3 (mini map shows T2/3 POI's and your general path discovered, small radius "fog" clearing around traveled areas)

Rank 3 of 3 ( Mini map "fog" clears in larger radius, and T4/5 buildings "surface" despite "fog" and all traders become discovered) {you can find T4/5s even if you've never walked by them}

fog- refers to the map being covered at the beginning and you clear it by traveling

On 5/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, AaronG85 said:

With all the talk of A19 being harder early on making mid and late game harder to get to I thought of a newer fun way to make it harder.

What if when we start we only have a simple compass, then through progression (or even books) we learn map making (and we get the map we have now) then we discover fragments of the map through a new book series that shows us parts of the map (could be POI, could be a chunk of map, could be a mineshaft, could be traders, the ideas are limitless) this way the earl game is alot of blind discovering and having to remember where you came from or where you left your base.

I think it could be a fun addition to make early game a little harder and expand on the usage of books.

They should make it so that you first have to learn how to read and write, then learn how to draw, in order to learn how to read books that will teach you how to draw maps, then you will need tons of papers and coal for a 0.0000000000000001% chance of successfully drawing your first crude maps and you will fail at doing so most of the time meaning you will need more paper and coal to try again and again until you get better at drawing maps in the first place instead of just wasting the paper and coal.

6 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

They should make it so that you first have to learn how to read and write, then learn how to draw, in order to learn how to read books that will teach you how to draw maps, then you will need tons of papers and coal for a 0.0000000000000001% chance of successfully drawing your first crude maps and you will fail at doing so most of the time meaning you will need more paper and coal to try again and again until you get better at drawing maps in the first place instead of just wasting the paper and coal.

I see what you did there. You, sir, are awarded an evil maniacal laugh by me.

Archived