Unplayable FPS Drop

Vex

Hey guys! So this issue has been plaguing my game for months now, I've tried a fresh reinstall etc to no avail. It kind of comes and goes and can vary in severity, but for the most part my game becomes unplayable if I'm not indoors away from windows or staring at the sky/a wall and it gets worse with rain or snow. It's only outside that my game slows down to an absolute disorienting crawl, and while I'm not sure if it's related I also some times get randomly booted from the game out of nowhere.

Here is one of a few logs (wasn't sure which one to use) from the last time I played when it was at its worst:

https://pastebin.com/FDw8EUGR

Here is a video I took of my gameplay that same night to show the friend I was playing with how bad it was:

https://vimeo.com/409079106

Thanks!

Your graphics options are set waayyyyy too high for your card. I've got half your vram and get good results,  no chugging at 720p with these and they generally look great:Playable options for 1060/3GB on a stock 3570K

Try tweaking upwards from there.

Interestingly enough, my old system clocks almost exactly the same as yours, and I have the same GPU.

With that in mind, these are the settings I use for getting 80-110 FPS.

spacer.png

And just in case you've missed me posting it before, this was the system I used.

i7-3930k overclocked at 4.6GHz (Benchmarks damn close to an i7-8700k with this OC.)

32B DDR3 RAM at 1866Mhz

2x GTX1060 6GB SSC's that are OC'ed a pinch over the factory OC. (One is dedicated to main game display, the other is for other monitors.)

OS and game on separate SSD's, save data on ultra-fast SSHD's in RAID 0

On 5/1/2020 at 10:08 PM, quyxkh said:

Your graphics options are set waayyyyy too high for your card. I've got half your vram and get good results,  no chugging at 720p with these and they generally look great:Playable options for 1060/3GB on a stock 3570K

Try tweaking upwards from there.

Damn really?! I've had this computer almost a year now and it was running fine before.. it's possible I accidentally cranked up the graphics adjusting stuff down the line though. If the answer is really that simple I'll be so happy. Will adjust them and give it a try next play session then let you know, thanks!

your log gets spammed with

InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
  at ItemActionCatapult.OnScreenOverlay (ItemActionData _actionData) [0x00007] in <3ca2702590144b2c95bd610195728952>:0
  at ItemClass.OnScreenOverlay (ItemInventoryData _data) [0x0001e] in <3ca2702590144b2c95bd610195728952>:0
  at EntityPlayerLocal.guiDrawOverlayTextures (NGuiWdwInGameHUD _guiInGame, System.Boolean bModalWindowOpen) [0x00024] in <3ca2702590144b2c95bd610195728952>:0
  at EntityPlayerLocal.OnHUD () [0x00063] in <3ca2702590144b2c95bd610195728952>:0

at NGuiWdwInGameHUD.OnGUI () [0x0007a] in <3ca2702590144b2c95bd610195728952>:0

maybe try disabling overlays (discord, nvidia, win10 game bar, ....), verify game in steam, remove mods, try without eac, DDU remove graphics driver and reinstall fresh.

19 hours ago, quyxkh said:

Oh, man, seriously, sacrifice some for reflections, they make the night time feel soooo much more night-y.

Reflections is literally one of the least optimized graphics options. It will tank your FPS more than anything.  Shadows being the second.

6 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Reflections is literally one of the least optimized graphics options. It will tank your FPS more than anything.  Shadows being the second.

Yep, it does, I get ~45fps on my settings.

I don't care. It's gorgeous. Try what I posted, dusk/night/dawn, see for yourself. Immersion gets a *huge* boost.  The night is dark, you're suddenly grateful for the moonlight, distances shrink/expand with nightmarish overtones in 7dtd where it's just lovely irl, I'll stop now. Seriously: try it for a game week, give yourself time to adapt so the lower fps doesn't get you killed on horde night.  I can't play it without those any more.

Adjusted the settings, though oddly 'occlusion' is locked as 'On' and will not let me change it. Can't test it out much until my next game session but hopefully this fixes it, and the game doesn't look too bad. I genuinely though my new PC could handle higher graphics :|

Archived