Planting Seeds (Farming)

hippsies

Hello everyone. 

I was getting a consistent issue with planting seeds: every instance that I plant a seed in the farming plot, there is a what seems at least 50 percent chance the seed has a falling animation and is instantly destroyed. Is this intended or is it a known issue/bug? 

Thanks in advance!

It's a default random gen. I do not use any mods, just base game. It isn't just one map that causes it, it's every premade and random gen. The seeds are green when i go to plant them, but for some reason they get a slight fall animation and become destroyed once planted. 

Again, this happens about 50 percent of the time, so it isn't a total loss, but when you save up some good seeds just to see them disappear... Not a great time.

12 hours ago, hippsies said:

It's a default random gen. I do not use any mods, just base game. It isn't just one map that causes it, it's every premade and random gen. The seeds are green when i go to plant them, but for some reason they get a slight fall animation and become destroyed once planted. 

Again, this happens about 50 percent of the time, so it isn't a total loss, but when you save up some good seeds just to see them disappear... Not a great time.

are they plots you've crafted, or found in pois? do they have at least 2 air blocks where you are planting the seeds? in the case of corn, i think it needs 3 blocks total.

I thought maybe it had to do with light levels, so I dug into a mountain and tested a few things. It simply would not let me plant (red outline) if there wasn't enough space above and if there wasn't any light. I could not get it to give me a green box, but then destroy the seed. Strange.

I've gotten that error mainly with crafted plots.  And I like to put them in the trash bins of the big Salvage yard. so it's open air, nothing above, and plenty of light.  Most of the time they plant just fine, and then you get that one plot that nothing will take.  I think I was planting coffee seeds at the time, as my first few plants are shrooms, potatoes and corn.

Alright, so it is something others experience as well. I have only ever tried in personal crafted plots. Also, i clear and prepare the area i place the plots in very well, so there isn't any chance for obstruction.

So is it one farm plot that only accepts a seed 50% of the time, or is it 50% of all the farm plots you build won't accept seeds?

In the former case, I wonder if there is a bug about the specific XYZ coordinate of the farm plot (or one of the air blocks above it). There used to be a bug where occasionally a particular air block wouldn't allow any blocks to be placed in it. Like you'd be building the walls of your base and there's this one block that just won't accept a frame. Like the "air" was solid and unbreakable. Haven't seen that in a long while, but if you had one particular farm plot that was failing, it kinda sounds similar.

If instead half of all the farm plots you build won't take seeds, that is very bizarre. Or, if all the farm plots you build reject their seeds 50% of the time, also very bizarre.

Once you plant the seed successfully, from then on the farm plot works normally?

I've had happen to me; no idea how to repro or fix sadly. The latest one I remember was in a tower base, and I figured it might be the SI system messing up somehow in that case, something akin to the 15 block rule, but more sporadic. That's what it looks like anyway.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:39 PM, hippsies said:

Hello everyone. 

I was getting a consistent issue with planting seeds sarms: every instance that I plant a seed in the farming plot, there is a what seems at least 50 percent chance the seed has a falling animation and is instantly destroyed. Is this intended or is it a known issue/bug? 

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you to do not use mode. I think they need more light. And may be plots you've crafted, or found in pois.

Just to be clear. The issue is:

I create my own plots, in the forest biome, outside of buildings. I clear an area at least 10 blocks distance from any other structure or terrain obstacle. When i go to plant seeds in the plot, usually the first 1 or 2 seeds get a slight fall animation and break.

I will keep planting in the same place to see if the issue persists, and eventually with the same plot and same seed type, it will take.

There are no obstructions and I've tested spacing plots out from each other up to 5 spaces with the same outcome.

I use all default settings with no mods of any sort, in case anyone is wondering if I've altered the files in any fashion.

I was gonna harrangue you with more questions, but re-reading the thread I see you've already covered everything.

- Happens in every map you've tried including pre-builts (which eliminates any version mismatches)

- Happens in any location on the map (eliminates a particular bad block or SI issue)

- Happens to every farm plot you craft (eliminates a particular bad block or bad farm plot)

That is bizarre. I would look towards reinstalling 7D2D fresh (backup the map first of course).

I guess one other question: if you get a seed to take, but then punch the seed out, do you suffer the same 50%-ish failure rate again, trying to re-plant the seed in the same plot?

Found a way to consistently plant although not ideal:

The plots must be placed at a specific elevation that is the same throughout the entire map generation. For example, say I'm in the forest biome and plant my plot above ground, in order for it to work 1 biome over, I must plant the plot in a straight line exactly the same elevation as the other. 

To fix my base, i proceeded to place wood frames until i found the sweet spot of where seeds can be planted without any breaks. My farm plot is now built atop of 8 wood frames and requires a ladder to access. 

Archived