Horde Night Freezing

Hentaiphiliac

Im playing on steam and am having issues where during horde night the game becomes completely unresponsive. If I click while it is frozen it will crash, but will otherwise just remain frozen, though the rest of my computer functions occur just fine. when not in a horde night the game functions fine. Previous horde nights have been gotten through with many many restarts and making it a bit further into the night before freezing.

Have validated files, told steam to force dx 10, made sure i don't have any mods, and am running on whatever the current steam update is.

Sorry if my formatting is off, im not used to posting things like this.

computer cpuz report https://pastebin.com/gyBUrThj

game log https://pastebin.com/kGNSWMMa

Ok, for starters you have an extremely outdated AMD chip. It's roughly 70% slower than what I would set as a recommended CPU for the current version.

Sure you've got a real nice 1080 GPU in there. Except that something as old as a GTX 930 will bottleneck on on your CPU. Even a scraping-the-bottom entry-level 1050 would bottleneck on that CPU. So having a 1080 in your system is relatively pointless in most games.

You do have an adequate amount of RAM, but again it's super slow at a mere 1333MHz.

Turn pretty much every extra graphics option OFF. If it doesn't have an off, set it to lowest. Textures should be absolutely no higher than Medium, and you should have the "Texture Streaming" option set to "ON". Lastly you will want to play at 720p, not 1080p.

Sadly, you're on a PC that needed to be updated about 3-4 years ago. Even my old i7-3930k clocks almost double what your CPU is capable of at stock speeds, and it was released around the same time.

I've played A18 through many horde nights on an objectively worse CPU than yours without freezing, (i5 3550) so, just offering a second opinion.

Some other things that could cause "freezing":

1: Heat: cpu and gpu get hot playing this game. check temps of both while in game with CPUID HWMonitor or HWinfo apps.

Some cures might be: cleaning dust from the machine, increase airflow by adding fans, remove side cover, replace thermal paste.

2: Memory: Could be running low, bad mem stick, limited swapfile. check memory use while in game with Windows Task Manager.

Run Windows Memory Diagnostics to check for a bad stick. Check that your swapfile settings are set to defaults.

3: GPU Drivers: Uninstall driver using DDU, reboot and say no when Windows 10 asks to install a driver, then reinstall the latest driver from Nvidia.

Try GLCore to see if it is a DirectX problem.

4: File Corruption: Run Chkdsk on all your disks.

5: Driver conflicts/Other: Check Windows Event Log for clues when your game freezes.

I've played on a few "weak" cpus and low frame rates are the primary symptom I get; not "freezing". Freezing is generally caused by other

factors. (imho)

All that said, AMD products have shown a lot of weirdness over the years with this game so ymmv. :)

I own a secondary PC with a similar CPU (and worse GPU, but that doesn't make much difference when the game is CPU-bound) and still use it sometimes for 7d2d.

I play at 1600x1024 in windowed mode (on linux) and graphics settings mostly turned to lowest. With that setup I get about 80-90 fps with nothing going on and I would say more like 20-30 fps on a busy horde night. Even full-HD on a horde night would not really be playable and at 2560x1440 it must turn into a slideshow.

My advice: While you're waiting for a new PC, (CPU, RAM and mainboard), turn down the settings (especially the window size/resolution) until your FPS (shown after you hit F8) **normally** stays above 20 FPS on a horde night. Make sure to not have other programms (browser etc.) running while you play.

If you still got freezes under these conditions, your hardware or operating system software has a problem.

Weird that both times it freezes when spawning the feral skateboarder. Also, since you used the same game, maybe the problem is with the game save. Dunno what that would be though.

You'd have to play other games and compare logs. Does it happen if you get on a public server? Or a fresh local game?

Shot in the dark... Turn off Dynamic Music.

i can turn of the dynamic music, though im not really font of joining some random server, the most i ever do is play a private game with 2 other people. if i started a fresh game it might take a while to test, as i didnt start having the crashes happening till maybe day 40+ horde nights but it got progressively worse. I was able to get by previously just rebooting it and retrying repeatedly and it would eventually get further into the night before the freeze.

after trying Beelzy's suggestions and having no errors show up but no changes to the game, i have installed the game and tested on a family member's more robust computer and experienced the exact same issues

specs https://pastebin.com/05nbm3YJ

log https://pastebin.com/ncZjZFaF

That RAM is running at 1600, when the base speed is 2133. XMP profile for it is probably 2400MHz

It's basically DDR4 that's being clocked at DDR3 speeds.

That motherboard should have an auto-OC tuner. It has a setting for the XMP profiles for sure.

GPU drivers are up to date, but can't really tell much else because you didn't use Speccy.

Client log doesn't say anything outside of the fact that you're trying to run it at 4k, and should only be using 1080p.

Your CPU and RAM bottleneck won't support a 4k resolution. I mean hell, an 8700k would CPU bottleneck a 2080. It's pointless having that GPU in that system.

This is a 3D voxel game. Increasing your resolution increases both CPU and GPU usage. CPU more than anything because the nature of Voxels is CPU-reliant.

yes it is a 3d voxel game, and it is not the only voxel game out there.

you are wrong, but i hope it is not deliberately because you are just white knighting here..

yes, it is just a snapshot and not a proper resource monitoring log, but at least it contains more facts than your assumptions or conclusions.

sorry, i just hate that every performance issue topic gets silenced with "it is a 3d voxel game, gtfo"

7dtd_blablabla.jpg.aab44332383eed697a0ac675d0f7e70c.jpg

you are wrong, but i hope it is not deliberately because you are just white knighting here..

yes, it is just a snapshot and not a proper resource monitoring log, but at least it contains more facts than your assumptions or conclusions.

sorry, i just hate that every performance issue topic gets silenced with "it is a 3d voxel game, gtfo"

Could you explain who or what SylenThunder is whiteknighting here? The GPU? I mean it can't be TFP since they are responsible whether the game is CPU- or GPU bound, right? :sneakiness:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"thumb","data-attachmentid":1726395}[/ATTACH]

Ok, I dare you to name one other fully 3D Voxel game with Structural integrity and a randomly generated map that is on-par with the same visuals and complexity as 7 days.

Remember, it needs to be fully 3D. Not like Empyrion, Space Engineers, or Life is Feudal where the terrain is only mesh mapping. And not like Ark or Conan where it's actually 2D with simulated voxels.

Go ahead and try your best.

I'm not white knighting anything. It's a fucking reality.

forgiving the terrible image quality, i had to use the phone since unsurprisingly i couldn't screenshot while it was frozen, but heres running at 780 when it froze (on original rig)

log: https://pastebin.com/S43kMjcv

20200413_160924.jpg

It's not even fully starting the client up in that log.

If it's crashing that early you have a corrupted client, or a driver issue.

so anyway, i'd still like to continue tracing down the source of the crashes as it is behaving(crashing) the same on multiple rigs with drastically different setups, which would make me think its not just me. Is it a likelyhood that the save file is bad somehow? If so, would there be a way to suss out what exactly about it went wrong?

Save game problems happen, especially after the game crashed once. A few of the game files in the save have .bak versions, you might try to replace them, but that will only work if the problem is in one of those files and the backup file isn't contaminated with the problem as well.

Since it always happens on horde night where you are always in the same position, there is a good chance that the area file of your horde base is faulty. Play the next horde night at least a few hundreds meters away from your current base. You might use a highrise POI and creative menu to create a defensible base fast. If the error doesn't happen, say goodbye to your current horde base and delete the area file the horde base is in in the savegame. That area will then return to its original state.

in an attempt to make it easier to load in to try and teleport somewhere else before it freezes, i finally thought to turn off mob spawning, that by itself resulted in the game loading up almost perfectly and no freezing. would it be a reasonable interpretation that it is something specifically with a mob or the spawning mechanic itself? also, sylen i apologize, i didn't see your last comment until just now, didnt know to check on the client itself or how i would even do so.

minor update, have repeated this. reenabled zombie spawning, and went back to the same area and had it freeze. reloded, freeze. disable spawning and reload fine.

Archived