• No recon; enter at OTP; follow OTP without modification
    • No recon; enter at OTP; remove interior obstacles as necessary
    • No recon; enter at a preferred point; follow your preferred path
    • Passive recon, enter at OTP, follow OTP without modification
    • Passive recon, enter at OTP, remove interior obstacles as necessary
    • Passive recon, enter at a preferred point, follow your preferred path
    • Active recon (kill sleepers from outside), enter at OTP
    • Active recon, enter at preferred point
    • Wake up the sleepers, funnel them outside for killing, clear POI at your leisure
    • Break directly into loot room, attemt to pilfer loot without conflict

I bust up in that bitch like the Kool-Aid man and loot everything, take whatever I see. I might bail into the street or fall back to a larger interior area if things get really hairy. I know a lot of people stealth, I don't like to put points into it myself. I will make noise and club to death all the zeds.

Also if it's obvious that behind this wall or that door there is more stuff, I will take the path of least resistance. If it's a huge building I might infiltrate somewhere further up via nerdpole, simply to avoid a lot of combat working my way up.

The one thing that seems to break the 'one true path' is the perk that lets you recover brass doorknobs from doors. Once you get that, and you have a decent axe, obviously you have a strong incentive to break every door you see. That in turn means opening up alternative paths, at least in the majority of POIs. You'd be foolish to break down a door, only to then ignore it as a potential path. So player behavior aside, this is one way the game's mechanics kind of trip over themselves.

I'll be honest, I'm one of those players who goes straight for the best loot and moves on. Most of the time it's laddering up the easiest side, breaking a few blocks, grabbing the prize then going to the next building. There are however disadvantages, usually the loot caches contains weapons and armour but clearing the POI itself will gather a range of loot like books, food, seeds, ammo, mechanical parts and experience from killing zombies.

It's a trade off, we have X amount of time before nightfall and Y time before horde night. We all have a limited amount of time to be productive in preparation, so I would argue that spending time clearing every location as intended is not only wasteful but actually kind of stupid in the larger scale of things. Those empty jars, paper and leather fragments are really going to help when the horde is breaking down the walls. In multiplayer it probably matters even more to be optimimum with time, as it's a race to loot the best POIs first.

I am fascinated with how different players evaluate what is or is not "cheese" in this game. This poll considers different ways to clear a POI.

Choose all options which, in your opinion, count as "cheese".

The poll choices (mostly) consider three aspects of POI clearing:

• What type of reconnaissance do you do? None=no recon of what's inside the POI. Passive=poke holes, look around, no attacking sleepers. Active=poke holes, kill sleepers if possible before entering.
  • Where do you enter the POI? At the One True Path (OTP) entrance given to you by the developers? Or at some other entrance that you prefer?
  • How do you handle interior obstructions? Do you follow the OTP and avoid all the locked doors, barbed wire, etc.? Or do you modify the OTP once inside (breaking doors, clearing spikes/mines, etc.) to make progress or retreat easier?

Again, choose the "cheesy" options, not the method you use!

You forgot to mention: Using junk turrets for perma flinch/stun when not speced into them.

You forgot to mention: Using junk turrets for perma flinch/stun when not speced into them.

Heh, I left out a lot of stuff! I only get 10 options so I had to boil it down to 3 aspects of POI clearing: Recon, entrance, interior path. Getting into which weapons are used would blow the poll up.

I'm working on Cheese Quizzes for Horde Night as well. Looking like it's going to have to be 3 polls in order to avoid cherry-picking just a few play styles.

Did everyone misunderstand the poll? How on earth can 'No recon; enter at OTP; follow OTP without modification' be cheese? That's basically the exact way TPF intend you to do it.

Looks more like everyone just voted for the way they typically do POIs.

I agree, but I usually will punch a hole in the side and clear at my leisure.....I never follow the rules.

I bust up in that bitch like the Kool-Aid man and loot everything, take whatever I see. I might bail into the street or fall back to a larger interior area if things get really hairy. I know a lot of people stealth, I don't like to put points into it myself. I will make noise and club to death all the zeds.

Also if it's obvious that behind this wall or that door there is more stuff, I will take the path of least resistance. If it's a huge building I might infiltrate somewhere further up via nerdpole, simply to avoid a lot of combat working my way up.

I couldn't agree more. I am all fortitude build with some lucky looting and some quick blows, but all my points are in Fortitude as I tank for our group. I rarely need the heals as I am at level 5 healing factor, 5 brawler, 5 heavy armor, 5 pain tolerance.....I don't sneak for anything. bust it down and loot all night long.

on a side note another group member does all the selling of the gear found.

Archived