Fire Ax and Sledge Hammer Range feels much shorter than it should be

warmer

Do we have a "range" attribute chart for weapons anywhere?

I have noticed a super short range with

Fire axes

Sledge hammers

Point is, Fire axes feel like the range is much shorter than a stone ax (which has a MUCH shorter handle)

Sledge hammers range feels MUCH shorter than a club.

Am I the only one that notices this? I miss with those two weapons all the time because the range feels scary short. More like your fist/punch range than a weapon with a 3' handle.

Seems bug to me or is this intended?

I think what it is maybe they have a cone/arc, with it narrowing down near max rage. I messed around inside the core of my base with the sledge whacking a wall piece testing the range/stamina usage, it hit pretty far for me. Definitely further than the stone axe.

Hmmm well the actual hit location must NOT be your reticule because I have been within stone ax range of zeds and missed MANY times with both. I wonder if "block" vs "Zed" is handled different, because I do know what you mean about the sledge having good range vs blocks. For whatever reason, I am absolute garbage at killing Zeds with a Fire Ax and Sledge, where as in A16 I had no issues figuring out the range. It felt natural. Now it feels arms length to me. If I can capture what I am talking about in video I'll post it.

Edit: Just went in game and turned the AI off so I could get a good comparison.

The Power Attacks are either shorter range or being calculated differently. I did this several times with AI turned off on the same zombies.

Regular Attacks body shots would land without issue

where as

Power Attacks I had to take a step forward to guarantee a hit from where Regular Attacks were landing every time. Otherwise is was about 50% of the time I'd land a hit.

So something is NOT correct about how power attacks are being calculated. I almost always use power attacks. This is probably why I made the assumption.

Edit: 2

I think I've Identified the issue. It is a Vertical Arc for a regular attack and a horizontal arc for the power attack

This is why you won't hit a zed at the same exact same range. I missed my intended target I had just hit with a regular attack and then tried a power attack, only to hit the guy to the left of him instead.

I think the arcs should only apply to glancing blows which are abysmally low damage (as in 10%, as in, you may think you hit, but you really didn't...).. not absolutely sure though, but I think I would've seen "hits that should've been misses" in my tests if not.

To figure it out - if you test more - check the damage of your hits as well ("numpad 0" while in dm to see stats on targets)

Idk that's just weird, I have no issue with melee in game, but then again I am rather accustomed to aiming/melee from years of exp. I just got myself a strong enough steel sledge to really rely on it versus the spear, so I'll play around with it in mind. Previously I just didn't care, just meleed and didn't pay attention.

Hmm, well I jumped off my base near the end of my 16 spawning/nightmare hordenight till i die run and used the sledge. idk, I think the power may be slightly shorter, but I didn't have much difficulty hitting the swarms. Idk

I think the arcs should only apply to glancing blows which are abysmally low damage (as in 10%, as in, you may think you hit, but you really didn't...).. not absolutely sure though, but I think I would've seen "hits that should've been misses" in my tests if not.

To figure it out - if you test more - check the damage of your hits as well ("numpad 0" while in dm to see stats on targets)

The glancing blows is not so much for damage, if you do a power attack with a sledge, even without the perks there is a good chance anything you hit on the path will get knocked down on the floor.

Yeh, they're mildly useful for sledgies. For knifes they deliver wounds at best, which are essentially a free rage mode for the zombie :)

The thread was about odd range on couple weapons, I tried to point out that the "arc hit" is a separate mechanic from the "normal hit" and might confuse testing ranges, unless you account for it.

Archived