Virtualbox VM - Linux - 64Bit Ubuntu 18.04 - A18 Server - Server Still Initializing

TallTim

Hey there, new to the forum but been playing 7Days for a while. I managed to set up a VM running 17.4 with zero problems, but for some reason Alpha 18 is making me tear my hair out. When connecting with the 7Days PC client, with EAC enabled or disabled, I still get "Server Still Initializing" and disconnected.

I see it in the logs, the user connects but the message is displayed then user is kicked. Seeing how I had this working with 17.4, I know it isn't a network problem. My VM is fully bridged to my internal LAN and I can do nslookups and pings just fine from the VM. There is no port-forwarding or NAT happening here.

I tried to confirm the server was completely started by telnetting to localhost within the VM and issuing a command like 'spawnairdrop'. I figured if it wasn't fully ready that would throw an error. I didn't get any when I attempted this. I made sure in the serverconfig.xml to disable SteamNetworking for network protocols. (Though the log will still show complaints it isn't firing up.)

Anyone have an idea why "Server Still Initializing" would be displayed to the client even though the server seems ready to go?

I'd really appreciate it.

Pastebin Links:

https://pastebin.com/1m3E4mHf -- serverconfig.xml

https://pastebin.com/us2scsyS -- output.log

Googling about this problem didn't result in anything actionable, unfortunately.

Comon, man...

That system has nowhere near the minimum required resources. It's surprising that it loaded as far as it did.

From 7 Days themselves:

https://7daystodie.com/support/

Windows/Linux Minimum

Processor: 2.4 Ghz Dual Core Cpu

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: 1 GB Dedicated Memory

Direct X: Version 10

Network: Broadband internet connection

Hard Drive: 12 GB available space

Sound Card: Direct X compatible

I have a Virtual Machine that runs 17.4 just fine with the same hardware. Looks like I'll bump up the memory in the VM and see if it helps at all.

Just for others to know -- its is possible to run without having a maxed-out beast. I get that the memory requirements double to have client and server on the same box.

Just funny how 17.4 worked fine and now 18 suddenly can't be bothered.

From 7 Days themselves:

https://7daystodie.com/support/

Windows/Linux Minimum

Graphics: 1 GB Dedicated Memory

Direct X: Version 10

Network: Broadband internet connection

Hard Drive: 12 GB available space

Sound Card: Direct X compatible

I have a Virtual Machine that runs 17.4 just fine with the same hardware. Looks like I'll bump up the memory in the VM and see if it helps at all.

Just for others to know -- its is possible to run without having a maxed-out beast. I get that the memory requirements double to have client and server on the same box.

Just funny how 17.4 worked fine and now 18 suddenly can't be bothered.

Yeah, noctie those stats.

Recommended

Yours

Processor: 2.80GHz cores: 1

Recommended

Yours

Memory: 2 GB RAM

You have half the CPU cores, and a quarter the RAM. You don't meet the minimum requirement for any version since at least a9

Yeah, noctie those stats.

Recommended

Yours

Processor: 2.80GHz cores: 1

Recommended

Yours

Memory: 2 GB RAM

You have half the CPU cores, and a quarter the RAM. You don't meet the minimum requirement for any version since at least a9

Yeah, I get it.

Just wanted this to be indexed and searchable so people know that 17.4 is totally doable and it plays just fine. If 18 Alpha crossed that invisible line of resources, so be it. That's why I make VM's so they're portable to other hardware when I upgrade without the fuss.

Cheers.

"AlphaX works" is a pretty weak argument, every new alpha is usually bigger than the previous one, and eventually you hit the limit.

Depends on your mindset.

Plenty of people out there riding the edge of "acceptable" hardware. Why look down on them just because of their situation? I'm pretty happy that 17.4 works on a minimal server. Its nice being able to mess with configs and not having to worry since my server VM files are backed up.

I can experiment and test things to my heart's content.

Besides, we're talking about Unity here, this isn't Unreal Engine. Though I daresay that UE would be better suited to procedural generation and open terrain type of worlds than Unity is.

I like 7 Days, and I'll bump up my hardware to handle A18's beastly requirements eventually.

Doesn't matter, really.

For those who arrived at this thread via search engines, it is possible to do RWG - random world generation using my VM setup. The worldsize of course can't be at the maximum, I found that 10382 generated just fine. I bumped up the VM to two cores, and only fed it 5.6GB of base memory.

Currently playing with this setup with no problems, using Virtualbox 6 with the network connector bridged to my own internal LAN, no port forwarding needed (as it would in the case of using NAT).

I'll mess around with 18 Alpha and figure out where the problem is, no doubt expansive texture requirements since its as total overhaul. If I get a setup that works I'll post it.

Don't give up, just because someone tells you its "impossible".

Archived