Windows 10 upgrade

CAdolfan

You mean you're downgrading to Windows 10...

You joined the dark side... you fell for the free cookies didn't you?

(And after every major update, you will need to re-install the driver. Just like in Win7.)

What? I've never heard of that issue. Mind you, I never do further updates after the initial install of Windows.

What? I've never heard of that issue. Mind you, I never do further updates after the initial install of Windows.

Yeah, every major system update Microsoft likes to replace your GPU driver with their "certified" driver version. The issue is that their driver doesn't support Direct3D Acceleration, and that causes an issue with a lot of games. They've been doing this since Windows Vista.

In Windows 7 it would happen maybe once a year. With Windows 10 it happens every 3-4 months. (Although they say they're going to back off on the frequency of these major updates now.)

Your OS wouldn't affect your saves.

Just be sure that you install the GPU drivers after Windows gets done updating and putting it's crap driver in place. (And after every major update, you will need to re-install the driver. Just like in Win7.)

Thanks not to worried since Alpha 18 is around the corner and I'll probably start a new world.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha "free cookies". I know it's a downgrade but I have no choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, every major system update Microsoft likes to replace your GPU driver with their "certified" driver version. The issue is that their driver doesn't support Direct3D Acceleration, and that causes an issue with a lot of games. They've been doing this since Windows Vista.

In Windows 7 it would happen maybe once a year. With Windows 10 it happens every 3-4 months. (Although they say they're going to back off on the frequency of these major updates now.)

Is it considered an "important" or "recommended" update? It doesn't happen automatically unless you have automatic updates right?

Wow... persistently stupid on everything. You'd think Microsoft would learn from their dumb mistakes / habits over the years.

FYI - Windows 7 won't be supported after the end of this year.

Just because it'll no longer be supported doesn't mean Windows 7 will just crash and burn to the ground instantly. It just means there won't be any new drivers or Windows updates for it anymore and some websites will start to have issues with it over time... that sort of thing. But I mean, there are still some websites out there that work with Windows XP, so I'm not too concerned right now. I feel like ppl are making a big deal out of nothing as if it's Y2K all over again.

If you plan on accessing the internet, it's important to keep Windows up to date.

Ya ya... I've heard that nonsense many times before. Windows updates doesn't keep the world from crashing. The fact that I haven't done any Windows updates on any of my systems in 2+ years since I last formatted them pretty much says it all. Updates are not a necessity, they're just optional... or at least they were until Microsoft decided to force them down ppl's throats with Windows 10.

Just because it'll no longer be supported doesn't mean Windows 7 will just crash and burn to the ground instantly. It just means there won't be any new drivers or Windows updates for it anymore and some websites will start to have issues with it over time... that sort of thing. But I mean, there are still some websites out there that work with Windows XP, so I'm not too concerned right now. I feel like ppl are making a big deal out of nothing as if it's Y2K all over again.

Ya ya... I've heard that nonsense many times before. Windows updates doesn't keep the world from crashing. The fact that I haven't done any Windows updates on any of my systems in 2+ years since I last formatted them pretty much says it all. Updates are not a necessity, they're just optional... or at least they were until Microsoft decided to force them down ppl's throats with Windows 10.

With all the exploits and vulnerabilities that have been getting discovered recently, it's honestly a really bad idea not to stay up-to-date. Even if you're not a business, you can still get targeted and lose important stuff.

With all the exploits and vulnerabilities that have been getting discovered recently, it's honestly a really bad idea not to stay up-to-date. Even if you're not a business, you can still get targeted and lose important stuff.

The media really has you locked in.

Also, I always have backups of my backups.

The media really has you locked in.

Also, I always have backups of my backups.

Except that I don't watch/read the news. I'm in groups of people that either do lots of cybersecurity or are sys/net admins for various companies. Yes, these vulnerabilities exist. Yes, they should be taken seriously.

100% There are tones of people still using XP. One of the companies I support still uses it on a few systems because the software they require for the machines hasn't been updated to run on any newer OS. (And it's really sad because it's not like the software company doesn't exist, or isn't still making updates/changes to their software. They just haven't written code that will work on a newer version of windows.) Those machines are prevented from accessing the external network in any form.

Except that I don't watch/read the news. I'm in groups of people that either do lots of cybersecurity or are sys/net admins for various companies. Yes, these vulnerabilities exist. Yes, they should be taken seriously.

Same here. If you're careful on the net, your risk is small. There is still a huge risk you are taking though.

100% There are tones of people still using XP. One of the companies I support still uses it on a few systems because the software they require for the machines hasn't been updated to run on any newer OS. (And it's really sad because it's not like the software company doesn't exist, or isn't still making updates/changes to their software. They just haven't written code that will work on a newer version of windows.) Those machines are prevented from accessing the external network in any form.

Same here... my landlord has a really nice / expensive music studio running on Windows XP which isn't even supported but the fans found a way to make it work on it (designed for Windows 98). I was able to convince and convert it over to XP which opened up more hardware and software options for him, though not much more since it's still limited to x86. But it also doesn't use internet at all, so... there's that.

If I'm going to get hacked or a virus... then it'll happen no matter what I do... so instead of being all paranoid using firewalls and anti-virus software and doing all the suspiciously secretive updates which you have no idea what you're getting... I'd rather just run my computers at peak performance until it happens, and when it does, I'll just spend a few hours formatting and re-installing again. It doesn't take long to get it 100% back to the way it was because like I said, I keep backups of everything and I have several computers, so I don't have all my eggs in 1 basket.

I used to have a P.I.N.G. server where I had clones of my computers... but the amount of effort it took to make the images all the time seemed pointless when I could go 2+ years before having to use it.

I've been managing PC's for 30+ years literally, and currently manage 300+ small business networks and users. You can choose to ignore Windows 10, but if Microsoft does what they did with previous operating systems, they'll purposefully break the ability for certain parts of the current OS to function, frustrating you enough that you'll choose to move on your own. It's part of the game. Even if you choose to stay with Windows 7, you are taking strong risk - not because Windows 10 is more secure, but because Security loopholes will become bigger and bigger on unsupported software. Yes, you can find corporate versions still supported for 2-5 years after they have been cut off, but finding and getting to use those patches will be difficult at best for most users. Also, there's really not that much in regard to Windows 10 being all that bad in the first place. Most of the core of it operates identically to Windows 7 and if you know how to get behind the Operating System at all, you can easily operate the same way. Biggest difference I've found? Getting around Signed drivers is a bit more difficult. The updates can still be paused, etc. (if you really want to do that). The upgrade (for those who don't want to be left behind) is still available for free. Just look for the Media Creation Tool at the Microsoft site and follow the directions. For most systems, it can be done in about two hours or less.

I've been managing PC's for 30+ years literally, and currently manage 300+ small business networks and users. You can choose to ignore Windows 10, but if Microsoft does what they did with previous operating systems, they'll purposefully break the ability for certain parts of the current OS to function, frustrating you enough that you'll choose to move on your own. It's part of the game. Even if you choose to stay with Windows 7, you are taking strong risk - not because Windows 10 is more secure, but because Security loopholes will become bigger and bigger on unsupported software. Yes, you can find corporate versions still supported for 2-5 years after they have been cut off, but finding and getting to use those patches will be difficult at best for most users. Also, there's really not that much in regard to Windows 10 being all that bad in the first place. Most of the core of it operates identically to Windows 7 and if you know how to get behind the Operating System at all, you can easily operate the same way. Biggest difference I've found? Getting around Signed drivers is a bit more difficult. The updates can still be paused, etc. (if you really want to do that). The upgrade (for those who don't want to be left behind) is still available for free. Just look for the Media Creation Tool at the Microsoft site and follow the directions. For most systems, it can be done in about two hours or less.

Microsoft can't do anything to my OS at all if I never allow the auto updates to do anything (they've literally been disabled for 2+ years). Also, if I make a switch at all, it'll likely be to Linux. Money is of no concern to me. I'd be willing to pay upwards of $500 for an OS if it was developed properly and respected the users. Every time I have to fix someone's computer and is running Win10, I get so frustrated by it every single time, and it's sooo slow if you leave it at default (which most ppl do cuz they don't know any better)... so much crap running in the background for no reason at all. Like all the spy junk that you can't even opt out at all, Cortana which never should have existed, you'd think they'd have learned from the talking paperclip in MS Word. The forced secret updates in which you can only delay for so long before they force restart no matter what (even if you're in the middle of rendering a long video), background control panel stuff is a complete mess and none of it makes any sense to me, CPU power management which shouldn't even exist for desktops but it does, driver issues, game support issues, etc... that's just the stuff I can think of at the top of my head.

Have you seen the Endless Jess video on Windows updates yet? It's both hilarious and a factual reality in which you're forced to put up with. I won't link it cuz it definitely breaks the forum rules of swearing and mild racism, but ya... it's good.

Google is your friend - Registry entries can be modified to do whatever you want, apps and services can be disabled. It's the same as Windows 7 in that regard. I don't tend to watch videos on Windows 10 because it's been an ever-evolving thing since last November with patches upon patches changing lots of the under the hood tweaks as they get ready for the next version. I don't mind Linux and consider it a great alternative. However, I also think that Windows 10 has plenty of potential.

Google is your friend - Registry entries can be modified to do whatever you want, apps and services can be disabled. It's the same as Windows 7 in that regard. I don't tend to watch videos on Windows 10 because it's been an ever-evolving thing since last November with patches upon patches changing lots of the under the hood tweaks as they get ready for the next version. I don't mind Linux and consider it a great alternative. However, I also think that Windows 10 has plenty of potential.

Sure it has potential, but the problem is that they'll never stop tweaking it and making changes, it'll always be stuck in a form of "beta". It's no longer a product and is now a service, which means you own nothing and they own you. If they wanted to, they could simply just take it away from you and you're left with no OS. I don't like seeing things change all the time especially when it involves crap I don't even want. Or like that one update that randomly deleted ppl's personal and business files for no reason... what excuse could they possibly have for that short of blatant incompetence?

Also, as far as I know, you can only disable so much... apparently some of the spy stuff is hardcoded in and you can't do anything about it without disconnecting the internet or getting a firewall.

The deed was done. Windows 10 installed. Installed Steam and 7DTD. Started the game and started a world no problem. Game ran as usual. Exited and and restarted the game. It opens up I see the Easy Anti Cheat screen but the game stopped loading. Reinstalled the game and it loaded fine. Any ideas on what's going on?

The deed was done. Windows 10 installed. Installed Steam and 7DTD. Started the game and started a world no problem. Game ran as usual. Exited and and restarted the game. It opens up I see the Easy Anti Cheat screen but the game stopped loading. Reinstalled the game and it loaded fine. Any ideas on what's going on?

Check Windows Error logs.

I'm having a similar issue with Empyrion lately. Also Unity and EAC. Have been troubleshooting it off and on for about two weeks to no avail. Issue is only occurring on one of my systems and all the others are just fine.

It could be a number of things, but as a guess - After the update, rights may have changed to your own files. By re-installing, you reset the rights allowing your system to load EAC correctly. The rights of Windows 10 is much more controlled than Windows 7.

Sure it has potential, but the problem is that they'll never stop tweaking it and making changes, it'll always be stuck in a form of "beta". It's no longer a product and is now a service, which means you own nothing and they own you. If they wanted to, they could simply just take it away from you and you're left with no OS. I don't like seeing things change all the time especially when it involves crap I don't even want. Or like that one update that randomly deleted ppl's personal and business files for no reason... what excuse could they possibly have for that short of blatant incompetence?

Also, as far as I know, you can only disable so much... apparently some of the spy stuff is hardcoded in and you can't do anything about it without disconnecting the internet or getting a firewall.

Windows 10 does not have that stuff hardcoded. It can be disabled just as easily using registry edits and disabling services. It really isn't that much different than Windows 7. Yes, there are more bells and whistles pre-installed, but I've found the main differences to be much more aggressive Update management which in theory should be better for most end users, and the OS ability to protect itself from Malware a bit more aggressively (better UAC). If you like the Windows 7 experience, download and install Classic Shell (free program). You can make it look just like Windows 7 (and easier access to the old style control panel) while still having the benefits of Windows 10's enhanced security.

Archived