17.3 is...

Morloc

I'm more concerned about that other thing...

Remember when Madmole said there will be no 1 year gap between alphas anymore and how they want to release them every couple of months?

Well, we've got A17 half a year ago and it doesn't seem like they are anywhere near A18, especially considering the fact that A17 itself isn't even done.

A17 is done as much as it’s ever likely to be. A18 is actually making good progress. They’ve already identified a number of desired changes and additions that they’ve pushed to A19 so they can finish up what they have and release. Madmole has already said it is close enough for him to start showing videos.

We picked up the Just Survive Somehow mod specifically because it put nearly all of the crafting back behind books that have to be found (and can appear in the trader's goods but aren't guaranteed). It brought the fun back to the game for us. We did have a game where we didn't get the forge book until week 3 but that was actually a really fun game. We had to find a forge in the world and plan our base to be near it. It made the game different and unexpected, which was a good thing.

I might have to give that mod a try. I miss that from a16.

A17 is done as much as it’s ever likely to be. A18 is actually making good progress. They’ve already identified a number of desired changes and additions that they’ve pushed to A19 so they can finish up what they have and release. Madmole has already said it is close enough for him to start showing videos.

Considering we have A17.3 experimental, which will come down to a stable release (with a few more fixes and tweaks), surely the next one will be A18. Waiting patiently, thanks Roland :)

Yeaaaah, problem with that is, between start of vids and new alpha, that was another couple of months in the past.

A18 might come dangerously close to 1 year release again, unless they really step on it when it comes to that release schedule.

As optimistic as I want to be, what developers say and what developers do are almost always 2 completely different hings.

Its hard to not be skeptic about it, when it was said A18 is supposed to be all about bug fixes and optimizations, when we slowly see more and more new content that inevitably delays it.

I dunno, some the changes and level requirements seem to be more progression gating than anything. The comment that this method better than gettign everything in 2 days is BS. I finished my reinforced concrete base with bullet proof glass on iron tools, no vehicles around level 50 -- not that it was easy, I have 4.7 K hours experience in the game and I worked around the level gating. A new player will find this grindy.

Archived