Old features

hristian991

hi why not include a16 features as an option instead of removing them ?

gun parts: ON/OFF

Perk system: Old classic,New arcade

Crafting: Old minecraft,new Click to craft

zombie dig: ON/OFF

i think of this was added the war in the steam forums will stop

i hope you see this idea "TFP"

As much as it would be interesting to see this variation available, there is physically no way to implement these things in two ways. The most important issue here is that it would require uploading two different sets of files, because gun parts were defined in XMLs, just like the perk system is. Don't know about zombie digging, but i guess this would be the least difficulty just tweaking zombie AI.

If something existed for only 2-3 of the past 17 alphas can it really have the title of "classic"? ;)

Seems to me that since A11 they've been experimenting quite a bit with a variety of progression designs. Is there really a war going on over Minecraft grid style crafting vs list crafting?

Also faatal has stated that zombie dig ON/OFF is not feasible at this time as the digging is part of the pathing and not just a separate behavior isolated from how zombies choose to reach their destination.

I would like to see someone try making a grid crafting interface, but there are a few hurdles to face first:

1. Define how big the grid would be. From one standpoint bigger grids can accommodate more complicated recipes and more resources put inside, yet smaller ones are easier, but don't allow many items to be put in. So amounts of resources along the complexity of recipes.

2. Designing all of the recipes from scratch. There are hundreds of items to check, not to mention some require similar amounts of resources (grilled meat and boiled meat for example).

3. Making the interface itself requires a lot of time, also making it work and use the lists of recipes written in XMLs. This could be the hardest as i don't know how from the coding perspective it would come together.

So yeah, definitely NOT a small project to make something like this, both from dev and modder perspectives.

The problem with that is balancing. It would be impossible to balance all aspects if there were multiple ways to do it.

I would like to see someone try making a grid crafting interface, but there are a few hurdles to face first:

1. Define how big the grid would be. From one standpoint bigger grids can accommodate more complicated recipes and more resources put inside, yet smaller ones are easier, but don't allow many items to be put in. So amounts of resources along the complexity of recipes.

2. Designing all of the recipes from scratch. There are hundreds of items to check, not to mention some require similar amounts of resources (grilled meat and boiled meat for example).

3. Making the interface itself requires a lot of time, also making it work and use the lists of recipes written in XMLs. This could be the hardest as i don't know how from the coding perspective it would come together.

So yeah, definitely NOT a small project to make something like this, both from dev and modder perspectives.

lets not :p do we really need another minecraft clone where we take the leather and form the outline of the shirt, pants etc...? irc they used that early in the alphas but moved away from it.

Maybe you're right... I think i remember seeing a crafting grid in some game (apart from minecraft) and it looked nice there. The whole concept is interesting, but perhaps not well applicable to the amounts of items crafted and the amounts of materials used in 7DTD.

Considering how blocks "work" in the game, i think it's gonna be hard to implement them. Just take a look at how blocks "move", because they simply don't in the strict sense. In MC blocks don't rotate when falling, nor they plummet into the sky from explosions and moving them with a piston or whatever simply shifts their position.

In 7DTD if you make an explosions blocks change into projectiles (looking just like the blocks, but behave differently) and when hitting ground they change into appropriate rubble. Same when stability fails and blocks fall - they change into projectiles with no velocity, simply falling down. This is why they rotate when falling, but look as what they were in the past.

Not to mention the functional repercussions of having pistons (i.e. moving steel blocks with ease).

The absolutely biggest reason why this isn't done is: If they add an option for any of this they have to fully implement, support, maintain, bugfix and balance all these optional parts.

You can't just take the old code and put it alongside the new, (according to TFP statements) there were so many low-level changes that gun parts for example would probably need extensive work to get it working in addition to the mod system. Replacing the mod system with it would be easier as the mod system is more versatile and could be downgraded to a parts system, but then the game would be quite unbalanced and incomplete due to the missing weapon mods.

Adding support so that modders can implement some of them is a different story but modding features at the moment seem to be at a lower priority while they try to get RWG and game content (especially a full complement of weapon and armor mods and legendary weapons to name a few) ready for an 1.0 release.

Archived