thoughts on grass/crop removal

BeardedProtagonist

So since starting 7DTD in A17, I had been strictly playing on RWG maps, and enjoying it. I decided to give Navazgene a spin on a fresh start. Now I like big flat open spaces to plant my base in the middle of, so I chose the big farm in the center slight north part of the map. Problem was all the corn fields, so I am hacking away at corn stalks to clear them and my wife walks up behind me (she is definitely not a gamer, barely a computer person actually, but very practical) and she says "Why don't you just do a controlled burn?", well heck I am still pretty new, not really familiar with fire mechanics, so I decide to give it a try. Moltov cocktails seem to be the easiest. I am sure the veterans out there already know what the results were....fizzle, nada.

So my question is would it be interesting to make objects burnable. you would have to control it of course, maybe give it a max range from ignition point, but might be worth investigating. Either that or a lawn mower....:)

This is less a question than a discussion topic, hence me putting it here and not in "questions"

So since starting 7DTD in A17, I had been strictly playing on RWG maps, and enjoying it. I decided to give Navazgene a spin on a fresh start. Now I like big flat open spaces to plant my base in the middle of, so I chose the big farm in the center slight north part of the map. Problem was all the corn fields, so I am hacking away at corn stalks to clear them and my wife walks up behind me (she is definitely not a gamer, barely a computer person actually, but very practical) and she says "Why don't you just do a controlled burn?", well heck I am still pretty new, not really familiar with fire mechanics, so I decide to give it a try. Moltov cocktails seem to be the easiest. I am sure the veterans out there already know what the results were....fizzle, nada.

So my question is would it be interesting to make objects burnable. you would have to control it of course, maybe give it a max range from ignition point, but might be worth investigating. Either that or a lawn mower....:)

This is less a question than a discussion topic, hence me putting it here and not in "questions"

Expanding fire, even controlled, is a huge can of worms, especially in voxel world which has hit other performance limitations. I don't believe it will happen, but it would be nice if it did.

I'd LOVE to see flammable blocks, but they'd have to limit it to x radius to keep it from being a drag on the server, and even then I'm sure it would be fairly significant.

Plus you'd have to add some way to combat fires, like throwing buckets and jars of water or something, it would add a bit of a can of worms.

Would be great if they did it though.

Compose specific rules by which:

- how the fire may spread and onto what blocks

- how the fire dies out (perhaps duration)

- add the possibility to "burn" wooden frames either into nothingness or burnt frames (the ones you can see in various ruined POIs

- enable burning grass into burnt ground (similarly as above)

- enable rain to diminish any fires

- enable thunder (during heavy rain) to incite fire on random blocks/trees

Then implement it in a mod and watch the performance of the game go out the window as you watch the world burn :x

Archived