Zombie pathing seems really off in A17.1

HungryZombie

I'm modding my game a bit (no vultures) so I didn't want to drop a bug report but I'm not seeing anyone else comment on this so I wonder if it's just me.

I'm finding that the zombies are not using open doorways and are instead breaking through the walls, even from one room to another.

If the zombies are around a corner and I turn the corner and enter a room with no door, they still start beating on the wall.

Anyone else observing this behavior? It couldn't be the no vulture mod doing this I think.

Personally, even in 17.0 (I'm waiting for 17.1 stable) I run into zombies that I'll wake up with a headshot and... they'll turn and run away from me no matter how many times I hit them. Sometimes they go outside and stand around snarling, and other times they'll go to another part of the house and just start demolishing anything they can reach from one spot. It's perplexing.

Regarding the wake-them-up-they-turn-away, I think it's intentional, I've noticed that happens when there's a pack of them and there's an alternate route to get to you, some sleepers seem to wake up pre-programmed to take the alternate route. Just last night I was clearing a twisty-path basement with a pack at the end, one of them, I think it beat through a wall to get to the start of the route, anyway it got there, I was really really glad I noticed because it meant it wouldn't be coming up behind me while I was still busy with its buddies in front of me.

I have only had one odd AI instance in 17.0. I dug up a treasure for a trader. Three zombies spawned. I got up on a rock. All three turned and walk a short distance away and started beating the crap out of a tree! It was like they said "Aw, crap! We'll never get him there! Let's go punch this tree instead..." or something. Once I came down they came at me and promptly had their skulls caved in.

I just built a 7 block long base with a 7 block long corridor. The corridor had an opening of 3 blocks wide. Horde night most of the zombies went down the corridor which was my kill zone but enough zombies started hitting the side walls that it would have ended in failure if I was not using creative mode to test.

Entire structure was cobblestone.

Went to a crack a book and after entering through a broken window I started making noise for them to come out, the first one started banging at one of the reinforced doors instead of pathing through the window, a second one went for the other door even when the first one wasn't there anymore and it was a few blocks away

I've just noticed this, I'm trying to build a melee defence, so there's a ramp, then a tunnel, and a path directly to me, just put off by a pole barrier so I can melee through it, but they get within 3 blocks of me, and instead of trying to break the barrier directly to me, they would rather turn side ways smash the wall of the tunnel, and drop down and loop back round - it's really weird.

20190113175826_1.thumb.jpg.2e4fa16920703e61454d66f07c3540f0.jpg

20190113182130_1.thumb.jpg.9de878739cdea54406e5fca12b7e77e5.jpg

Edit: Ok loaded a test world and think I figured it out, i think they thought the side electric fence was a path - moved it further out, and they're doing the correct thing again!

Archived