GPS mini-map for 4x4 Truck and Gyrocopter!

FranticDan

Being able to open the map while driving is great, but as a little bonus (especially for the Gyrocopter) I think it's fitting if we had a mini-map in the top left of the screen for the 4x4 truck and Gyrocopter.

This would benefit the Gyrocopter more as opening your map while mid-air could prove fatal.

I'm wondering what others think of this!

Hmm. Maybe time to add some computer parts and/or(just) a mod for it to craft up.

Yes! A vehicle modification would be great!

Imagine all of the fuel you have to scavenge to launch a satellite in orbit.

Are you saying the apocalypse has caused everything in orbit to come crashing down to earth? *thinking*

Are you saying the apocalypse has caused everything in orbit to come crashing down to earth? *thinking*

Yes. Not right away... but in general, yes. They typically only have a lifespan of around 10 years. Just little tiny deflections or absorption of photons is enough to eventually push them back to Earth within this time. Some better ones might last up to 25 years, but there are still other things besides light that knock them out. Solar flares and other electromagnetic forces, radiation, dust particle collisions... the list goes on and on.

Satellites are also just satellites... they can only send their signals where they are and not very useful without stations on the ground to repeat the transmission to areas where they are not currently above.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Not right away... but in general, yes. They typically only have a lifespan of around 10 years. Just little tiny deflections or absorption of photons is enough to eventually push them back to Earth within this time. Some better ones might last up to 25 years, but there are still other things besides light that knock them out. Solar flares and other electromagnetic forces, radiation, dust particle collisions... the list goes on and on.

Satellites are also just satellites... they can only send their signals where they are and not very useful without stations on the ground to repeat the transmission to areas where they are not currently above.

As far as I can find out, the satellites need to be updated on a regular basis in order to maintain accuracy.

"in the event that the GPS Control Segment provided by DoD goes offline, the older satellites will retain some degree of functionality for about 14 days. The newer Block II-A satellites can monitor each other's positions independent of the ground, and are designed to retain 16-meter positional accuracy for up to 180 days. That's the most concrete data I've managed to find on the subject." ~ some forum guy

GPS satellites work by triangulating your position directly using 3 or more signals, based on the capabilities of your receiver, from whatever GPS satellites that are above at the time, there is no ground based relay as far as I'm aware, and at 20,000 km altitude, "where they are above", becomes a VERY large area.

SO, conclusion, in a post apocalyptic scenario we can assume anywhere from 14 days to 6 months if the event was severe enough to cripple or remove the military. We see evidence in game of military response actions including hazmat so there's a chance the military is still in play and you bet your bottom dollar, the GPS network would be one of their priorities.

Archived