Lights are coming back right?

LuckyStar

Can't craft Fluorescent lights anymore.

They were the only lights worth a damn.

Now all we have are Simple Lights.

In TFP's defense, they are pretty bright. :clap2::flame:

Still... would be nice to be able to craft more than a Simple Light.

Hopefully once the more serious stuff gets patched, balanced, edited, we'll get our lights back.

--->> Oh and also this <<----

Can we please have auto paint back?

By that I mean I don't want to have to click for every square.

Right now you have to. You can't just hold the button anymore.

Same as the lights though.

I suppose when the important stuff is finished they'll get to it.

Yep. More lights please. Pretty sure other stuff is also missing from what i saw at a first glance. Not far enough yet, so i didn´t really pay attention to that.

I fear that they generally go away from building more and more. I recall a discussion a few weeks ago (months? not sure) where roland was even surprised that people actually kept playing after they got everything you can achieve, only to build more. Couldn´t believe that he wasn´t aware of that, wich also kinda implies that TFP has no clue either.

It kinda seems that A17 tries to lure people away from building. Wich is a shame. It´s one of the things that attracted people who don´t like action/shooter games usually.

Yep. More lights please. Pretty sure other stuff is also missing from what i saw at a first glance. Not far enough yet, so i didn´t really pay attention to that.

I fear that they generally go away from building more and more. I recall a discussion a few weeks ago (months? not sure) where roland was even surprised that people actually kept playing after they got everything you can achieve, only to build more. Couldn´t believe that he wasn´t aware of that, wich also kinda implies that TFP has no clue either.

It kinda seems that A17 tries to lure people away from building. Wich is a shame. It´s one of the things that attracted people who don´t like action/shooter games usually.

Yeah people like to create.

I played spore a couple times then did nothing but make dioramas in the building creator.

[i even won a computer in a contest.]

mnT5i4d.png

Lots of people want to build and create and make cool stuff.

Why does 7DTD have to be survival?

You give us a medium and we'll make something.

Creators create.

So....... let's get those lights back! :roll:

Can't craft Fluorescent lights anymore.

They were the only lights worth a damn.

Now all we have are Simple Lights.

In TFP's defense, they are pretty bright. :clap2::flame:

Still... would be nice to be able to craft more than a Simple Light.

Hopefully once the more serious stuff gets patched, balanced, edited, we'll get our lights back.

--->> Oh and also this <<----

Can we please have auto paint back?

By that I mean I don't want to have to click for every square.

Right now you have to. You can't just hold the button anymore.

Same as the lights though.

I suppose when the important stuff is finished they'll get to it.

Spotlights are still in the game, but I need to test to see if they are still as powerful as they were. THOSE were by far the best lighting if you were going for lighting up an entire area.

Spotlights are still in the game, but I need to test to see if they are still as powerful as they were. THOSE were by far the best lighting if you were going for lighting up an entire area.

The problem with the spotlights was never their brightness but their throw distance. They weren't any better than the mining helmet for illuminating distant objects.

Spotlights are pretty decent., There are about 1/3 of the original lights that were previously in the game. compared to recipes and books, which have nearly quadrupled. jumping into a creative and looking at the dev (poi) versus non dev items is saddening. while we got ceiling fans, they are only POI lights, the only craftable lights are almost pointless and definitely boring. they could at least not make nearly all of them POI lights.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that this happened because of the changes to the new Unity engine for the lighting changes, and that the lights are all badly broken as a result and need to be reworked to look "right" again. Hopefully we'll see them later in the exp, or at least a17 stable, and we don't have to wait for a18 for them.

I'm pretty sure if it's not in A17 stable, it will be in A17.1 or A17.2, which won't be in a year, but only a few months. A17 got the most work done because of the new Unity and so many changes to the base mechanics of the game, but now TFP will focus on adding stuff, instead of changing the existing.

The problem with the spotlights was never their brightness but their throw distance. They weren't any better than the mining helmet for illuminating distant objects.

They're working well. I'm using the military base POI and utilizing the mess hall building as my workshop. 3 of the spotlights in the corners elevated about 3-4 blocks high are lighting the area very well even without adjustment. I hate that this is our only really viable light option right now, but it IS the apocalypse lol.

Lots of people want to build and create and make cool stuff.

Why does 7DTD have to be survival?

Get ready to recieve the: "you can turn zombies off, you know?"

I agree 100% with you though. Creating a beautiful base in spite of all the ♥♥♥♥ going around you, was the pinnacle of success.

I think part of the problem discussing lights is what people mean by power. Power can be both brightness/intensity and throw distance. Given in real life the two are related, but in-game they aren't necessarily... ie. real life lights, the intensity drops off as a function of radius squared, and past a certain point it's too dim to illuminate anything meaningfully... In the game, that "certain distance" gets truncated, probably for computational reasons... but it remains that instead of a nice slope to zero, there is a certain distance for every light that the intensity instantly drops to zero no matter how much intensity is left.

So, that said, the problem with the spotlights was never their brightness but their throw distance. They weren't any better than the mining helmet for illuminating distant objects. Specifically, with a wall 6 blocks high and a trench of spikes dug 1 block deep and 3 blocks wide, if you stood on top of the wall, your mining helmet would illuminate maybe 5-6 blocks beyond the spikes in A16. Similarly, a spotlight mounted in the base would illuminate roughly that far, maybe a few blocks more depending on placement. In A17, mining helmets seem to reach out a fair amount further, like another 6-8 blocks, so there's that.

In A16, we'd hoped to use spotlights to illuminate the yard around the base on horde nights, but 6 blocks out from the spikes just doesn't cut it... and erecting light poles and ploping torches on them is easier than putting spotlights on them and rigging everything for electricity.

In A16, we'd hoped to use spotlights to illuminate the yard around the base on horde nights, but 6 blocks out from the spikes just doesn't cut it... and erecting light poles and ploping torches on them is easier than putting spotlights on them and rigging everything for electricity.

Yeah.

I find I end up doing just that.

Bunch of torches.

I'm all for more lights but I just want to add a couple things, the little basic light we can hang now looks beautiful please don't change it! The shadows it casts are so stark and dynamic and really set off the way your room looks. Please just leave it exactly as it is, no muss no fuss.

Secondly don't despair if lights are on the backburner as of course "mods will fix it" as they're easy to add. We only ever play vanilla during these little experimental build pushes then go back to modded for the duration in between patches and there will be a plethora of lighting options available in your more popular mods. Just saying this to say , don't worry if TFP doesn't get around to it the modders will God bless them.

Thirdly it's still a wonderful creating "adult minecraft" game so everyone please stop worrying. Nobody plays vanilla minecraft either it's always modded heavily and they've made it so much easier to add items and meshes in for the modders that the sky will be the limit regardless of how the base game works out. There's nothing to worry about the sky is not falling I repeat the sky is not falling.

I'd rather TFP devote resources to giving us new zombie skins, like 10 for each mesh than do anything else (other than fix the donald duck zombie noises to something better). Forget perks/skills/lights etc and please focus on the main element of the game, the zombies we fight? Why does nobody else but me ever mention this? It's like the same dozen dudes we've been fighting for years lol, doesn't anyone else get tired of that before they get tired of literally anything else?

Crap, sorry, didn't mean to basically repeat myself. Posting from mobile between exams, it looked like it hadn't posted the first time.

Though yeah, last game I played in A16 before classes started back up, I was rigging minibikes to act as yard illumination for horde night. Battery maintenence was annoying :p

As for "mods can handle it", something this basic should be stock.

Archived