Anybody run out of brass?

ElCabong

Bullets are made of a material that is softer than the barrel for a reason, so they do not erode the rifling. Yes you can have steel casings and steel/iron cored bullets, even jacketed bullets but the main body of the bullet really does require a nice soft material like lead.

Steel casings have their own drawbacks ofc too. Mainly it's harder to reload them and they cannot be reloaded as many times before material failure. They also need to be coated with lacquer or polymer during the reloading process to avoid rust and excessive jams and that's a hard thing to do outside of a factory setting.

Realism in a game where you can carry thousands of rocks, wood, iron, lead, brass, and more etc, doesn't really fit. They could be like bullets in fallout NV how they have those junk ones, that do like 80% dmg of a normal bullet and also cause the guns condition to drop faster, so more frequent repairs. Bascally they'd be bullets you'd wanna avoid using unless you got no choice. It still would cost the same amount of gunpowder as the normal ones as well. I find gunpowder much more limited than brass, as zombies drop brass things often enough. While I find that finding gunpowder is much more rare. I am also rather wasteful with those brass drops, I tend to scrap them insted of carry them back to a forge, same for the lead stuff.

Scrapping a household door with a wrench (instead of hacking it down with an axe) could give you a doorknob some percent of the time, preferably increased via Bad Mechanic.

Firing a gun could have a percentage chance to recover a bullet casing, perhaps improved with a perk.

I think those two changes would make a big difference in the availability of brass and the consumption rate of bullet casings.

Yeah that would help, I myself rarely use guns, as the crossbow is just better for most situations. High damage per shot, which even on insane with a sneak attack will 1 shot most zombies at mid game that aren't ferals. Its my goto weapon for looting poi's. Again alot of this will change in A17 when even the shotgun will have a silencer. Not to mention the guns just seem alot more effective in a17. Pistol only took 3-4 body shots to kill a zombie, where in a16 it'd take like 10+.

I'd really like to mod the game to allow us to make brass.

Pennies are made primarily from zinc whereas nickels, dimes and quarters are primarily made from copper. We should be able to collect loose change from zombies, banks, stores etc... and smelt it into brass.

Either that or I'll just mod the game to allow shells to be made from steel. Not ideal from a realism point of view, but brass shouldn't be hard to get.

- P

I'd really like to mod the game to allow us to make brass.

Pennies are made primarily from zinc whereas nickels, dimes and quarters are primarily made from copper. We should be able to collect loose change from zombies, banks, stores etc... and smelt it into brass.

Either that or I'll just mod the game to allow shells to be made from steel. Not ideal from a realism point of view, but brass shouldn't be hard to get.

- P

Have you tried modding?

It's easy to learn XML editing.

Start with something small and work your way up.

Before long you'll be a pro.

Have you tried modding?

It's easy to learn XML editing.

Start with something small and work your way up.

Before long you'll be a pro.

Yeah, I've mostly edited loot tables to be more generous with books, and biomes to turn off fog and rain. For some reason, fog and rain would last for weeks on end for me.

I would need 2 graphics. One for pennies and one for nickels, dimes and quarters.

I would add the coins to various loot tables. (zombies, cash registers, cars, soda machines etc...)

Then modify the recipe xml, and probably just make it so you put the coins in some ratio into the smelter and have brass scrap come out.

- P

Yeah, I've mostly edited loot tables to be more generous with books, and biomes to turn off fog and rain. For some reason, fog and rain would last for weeks on end for me.

I would need 2 graphics. One for pennies and one for nickels, dimes and quarters.

I would add the coins to various loot tables. (zombies, cash registers, cars, soda machines etc...)

Then modify the recipe xml, and probably just make it so you put the coins in some ratio into the smelter and have brass scrap come out.

- P

Yeah sounds good.

I have more of a problem with lead. I spent a few in game days looting towns for their sink fixings and i ended up making well over 10k ammo shells. Lead on the other hand you can never have enough of somehow, i even tried to go mining underground for lead and barely came by any

I have more of a problem with lead. I spent a few in game days looting towns for their sink fixings and i ended up making well over 10k ammo shells. Lead on the other hand you can never have enough of somehow, i even tried to go mining underground for lead and barely came by any

Then you are doing something terribly wrong.

There is so much lead in forest biome its not even funny.

Then you are doing something terribly wrong.

Offering solutions is helpful. It's kind. It's what a good person does.

Telling someone they are wrong and offering nothing constructive.... isn't.

I'm sure you're a nice person and perhaps just didn't phrase that properly.

Perhaps you'd like a chance to clarify.

By all means.

Have a nice day Kat.

Well, put one of 4 to mine lead, lead is not an issue on A16.About brass, it is limited, and it needs to be, otherwise you would just build 100 autoturets and end all zombies on the map.also, think about having unlimited ammo to your ak...

You need to go prospecting for it then. Look for the gravel like patches. Use a shovel to dig them up and it would actually indicate what kind of ore is under it. So far, its always been a good indicator that there is a huge ore vein underneath. My only advice would be to look for patches that offer that one specific kind of ore and don't have a mixture (e.g. has Iron and Coal in very close proximity). That way you're guaranteed to have alot more of that single specific kind of ore.

Besides that, just farm the boulders. You can easily acquire a huge amount just going around breaking boulders. Added benefit is you also will get nitrate and coal for your gunpowder needs as well.

Offering solutions is helpful. It's kind. It's what a good person does.

Telling someone they are wrong and offering nothing constructive.... isn't.

I'm sure you're a nice person and perhaps just didn't phrase that properly.

Perhaps you'd like a chance to clarify.

By all means.

Have a nice day Kat.

I believe you did missed the second line, so I'll help you and post it again:

Archived