Computer sudden slow down.

Gamida

So was playing the dreaded Ark yesterday and twice I timed out which never happened to me before. I decided to do a little browsing and then noticed that my browser was taking its time to load in pages. I could actually see pictures load in on pages like it did when I was on dialup. On top of that I decided to do a malware scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it hung at the loading part where it was checking for new updates. I use netspeedmonitor to keep and eye on my download speed and noticed it was hardly doing anything. The thing is I did a speedtest at Speedtest.net and my download speed showed at 360 Mbps (it is suppose to be 300, so not complaining) but if I browse or use another program that accesses the net it will be slow as molasses going uphill in December.

When you use an online speed test like that it is not actually downloading a file to your computer is it. I was thinking it only tested the speed to your modem. So that made me think it could be from modem to computer problem. Maybe hardware or software.

Was planning to have to do a reinstall of windows this weekend and see if that helped but may try a new cable between computer and modem first.

Was hoping someone had something for me to try before it came to that.

This is just a suggestion from when i still had a

full head of hair.

go to control panel internet connection settings

select your ethernet card and disable.

If you have a router/switch going to cable modem.

Unplug the power to both for approximately 1 minute.

plug nodem back in first, allow it to go through

complete cycle. Then do the same for the router/switch.

If no switch then just the modem.

once booted back up, go to control panel, network conn

again this time there should be an x right after the icon

of your computer. select it and choose troubleshoot as admin

let it cycle and fo to web. If this works it was just cache

congestion.

If you want to check internal connectivity to see if bottle

neck somewhere. open command console dos screen

To open go to the rn box on left type cmd hit enter

type ping 127.0.0.1 should see no delay, this checks nic config

type ping "put your router or modem ip here ex 192.168.0.1"

tpe ping www.google.com

these three commands are quick test from internal to external

can also use

tracert www.google.com

it will show route taken how many hops and if there is an

interruption.

hopefully this will resolve it.

ipconfig /release all followed by ipconfig /renew

Go to cmd prompt, type "eventvwr" then enter, go into custom views/admin events and check to see if there's any unusual errors that stand out and report back. This is often a great way to source out any software issues. Here's a link to what I get on a regular basis for my laptop: https://i.imgur.com/I0PBhKy.png You'll always see warnings and errors, the trick is knowing which ones are bad and which ones are normal.

While this does sound like software issue to me, if you could do some more testing to make sure it isn't hardware failure, it'd set my mind at ease and rule out a lot more possibilities. Otherwise, you might re-install Windows for nothing. Check to make sure your ram is displaying in full and not partial (dxdiag), if a stick of ram is failing, sometimes half your ram will just disappear. Doing a memtest wouldn't hurt either, but you'd likely have other problems too if it was corrupted ram. Get your hard drives to make sure they're not full (always keep at least 10GB of free space), a full hard drive would bog the system down to an absolute crawl. Maybe try running a quick offline benchmark test to see if the CPU and everything else is fine. Since running malwarebytes didn't work out, and that's an offline app, there has to be more to it than just internet related. When was the last time you opened up your case to look at the internals? If you saw a cooked northbridge or leaking capacitor, that could explain the issue as well. Although, these days, those components are usually covered up with heat sinks now, so it's more difficult to see.

This trick worked with my landlord back when he lacked ram and refused to close his browser once in a while (open 24/7 with several tabs), it might boost online performance for you, at least temporarily.

To clear your DNS cache if you use Windows 7, perform the following steps:

- Click Start.

- Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box.

- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

- Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns.

Did a eventvwr but as you said the trick is knowing which ones are bad and which ones are normal....I know neither of these :).

My ram seems to be ok. Showed 16gb when I ran dxdiag. My hard drive (C has 1.63 of 1.99 TB free. Speedtest.net still shows my download speed well above what my isp is offering, getting 360 on 300 package. Had quick look inside case and didn't see anything out of ordinary as far as I could tell. The flush command also didn't change anything.

As much as I hate it, it looks like I may be formatting this weekend and hopefully that sorts it all out. If not then back to drawing board.

Have you contacted your ISP to have them run a diagnostic on your modem?

I'm not sure if Speedtest runs a test between their server and your ISP's server, your modem, or your machine.

It's also kind of suspicious that your machine is behaving like it is being used as a bot, and you can't get an update for your virus checker. Perhaps try another virus scanner?

I'd eliminate hardware sources of failure before reinstalling windows...

-A

Have you contacted your ISP to have them run a diagnostic on your modem?

I'm not sure if Speedtest runs a test between their server and your ISP's server, your modem, or your machine.

It's also kind of suspicious that your machine is behaving like it is being used as a bot, and you can't get an update for your virus checker. Perhaps try another virus scanner?

I'd eliminate hardware sources of failure before reinstalling windows...

-A

Nah, ISPs are good at one thing and one thing only... blaming the user. If speedtest shows normal results, then that's exactly what the ISP will say as well.

If you don't know what you're looking at in event viewer, you could just copy paste the error code and description here or google it as I always do. Warning can usually be ignored as they're just a head's up that something happened and didn't affect the system stability at all. Obviously we don't need to see all of them as the list probably goes on for years worth... just the last 24 hours would probably be enough and how many times each error repeats themselves within that time frame.

I've had a couple of instances where I've called in to tech support and they've run remote diagnostics on my modem and sent out a tech to either rpl the modem, or rerun a line.

Granted, I already suspected something was wrong at the modem point, but I don't know how savvy Gam is or isn't at troubleshooting issues.

@Gam

Does it work fine if you try your connectivity with another device (tablet, laptop, other PC, etc...)

Try to isolate where the point of issue is before doing drastic things like reinstalling your OS. And as Fox says, post your events here, and we'll help you figure out what's going on.

-A

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.html

This is mcaffee stinger 16 megabyte. It is free, updated regularly.

single pe executeable. It may be small enough to download at the moment.

Ive used in the past when i suspected possible hijack ware.

My prior post was what id do at work once approx ever 3 months to clear

switches and router insead of calling NOC.

Actually, doing a virus scan is a great idea, being so hung up on hardware and internet stuff, I forgot that viruses exist and ppl do still get them. But if Malwarebytes hangs during updates, you could try running it in safe mode with network disabled or do as 4sheetzngeegles said which is try another AV software. It is possible that maybe you're a victim of some new bit-mining hijack or something.

So update. I used stinger and no virus alert. I tried Malwarbytes and it kicked in and worked fine. Also nothing showed up with it. Superantivirus, same. Today for some reason everything seems to be working ok even though I never really did anything. I uninstalled some programs that I haven't used in months to make some room but that was it. I even did download test with several different services and they all showed everything working fine. I still might do a format in near future. I don't know if it helps but I like to do one now and then to "clear out the cobwebs"

Well, if it mysteriously fixed itself, then there's a few possibilities that it could be, and I might not have been too far off with the /flushDNS command even though you didn't see results from that.

I don't remember what I recommended for your system build... was it 8GB of ram or 16GB? Was the programs you uninstalled stuff that ran in the background at all? Adobe, Apple, Most Antivirus software all love to forcefully run their crap in the background at all times even when there's no reason at all to be running. Is there a possibility one of the programs was secretly bit mining off of you (it's been a common occurrence lately)?

yeah it is mysterious because I know that computers don't just fix themselves. The programs I removed have all been on my system for months (and not used) so seems strange they would just act up now. Yes it was 16GB or ram I installed. Was going to add another 16 because I was scanning and editing a lot of family photos but saw that the price had more than doubled since I bought mine.

Anyhow, thanks all for the help. It was really appreciated.

Archived