Prep for bike retrieval mission?

So I went out on my first and relatively new minibike and started exploring further away from home. My aim was to discover the hub city (I'm playing on crackpot20), and as I got close the biome changed to wasteland. Followed the roads, not wanting to explode, and saw my bike was down to something silly like 39% durability. Avoided running over normal zombies, but ran over a dog and my bike stopped working.

Sprinted to town, broke into pass & gas, and blocked up the door behind me. No repair kits on me, no duct tape on me, no glue on me but a few bones. You guessed it - no murky water on me. Fortunately I looted a beer, so after I'd used half my bullets dealing with a horde that tried to break in after me, off I set on foot at top speed.

So... I've made repair kits. I've made bullets. I've made light armour. I have beer. I have gas. I now need to go on foot into dog and landmine central. How should I prepare myself?

So I went out on my first and relatively new minibike and started exploring further away from home. My aim was to discover the hub city (I'm playing on crackpot20), and as I got close the biome changed to wasteland. Followed the roads, not wanting to explode, and saw my bike was down to something silly like 39% durability. Avoided running over normal zombies, but ran over a dog and my bike stopped working.

Sprinted to town, broke into pass & gas, and blocked up the door behind me. No repair kits on me, no duct tape on me, no glue on me but a few bones. You guessed it - no murky water on me. Fortunately I looted a beer, so after I'd used half my bullets dealing with a horde that tried to break in after me, off I set on foot at top speed.

So... I've made repair kits. I've made bullets. I've made light armour. I have beer. I have gas. I now need to go on foot into dog and landmine central. How should I prepare myself?

Pray man....just pray, lol. Ive had so many of these similar retrieval missions & its always in crappy areas.

Good luck bro, you're gonna need it!!

Honestly you would almost just be better off to retreat to your base/forge house, and make a new bike. Your gonna die attemping to retrieve that obviously low quality bike....is it really worth going after?!

I suppose I could wait till I've made a new bike. I used some really good components on that one though - engine about 480 and tyres over 500. Trouble is, those were partnered up with a level 160 chassis and seat so the average was pretty middling.

I've got 11 gas barrels and 100 raw meat in the basket though... :/

So you said you stayed on the road so I assume it is safe to say the bike is on the road? My suggestion is to to make a new bike it doesn't have to be a great bike. Just one that you can stay in the road to get to the other bike. By now the few parts that you do have to make to build a new one will be better quality anyway. Make sure to not have much of anything in your inventory but what you have to have. Drive the roads to where the bike is. Make sure the area is clear of dogs jump of and quickly remove items from the other bike and break down the bike. Quickly jump back on the other bike and drive back to a safer area. Swap out the parts of the bike that need swapping to put together the best bike available. Then you should be set to go. You could finish doing what you set out to do or go back to base put the extra parts in storage for another back up incase you need it later and put any unwanted items away that you don't need and get what you do need and go back out. This is what I would do anyway. Good luck.

And yes, if I can build another bike to get there then dismantle the original, I will definitely keep spares. I'm actually planning on digging an intercity tunnel network and using bikes to get back and forth at bedrock level. That'll take an age though, it's only day 17 now.

And yes, if I can build another bike to get there then dismantle the original, I will definitely keep spares. I'm actually planning on digging an intercity tunnel network and using bikes to get back and forth at bedrock level. That'll take an age though, it's only day 17 now.

one way to get ya skills up :fat:

personally id just make some repair kits and run my ass back there and die like 50 times trying to retrieve it.

one way to get ya skills up :fat:

personally id just make some repair kits and run my ass back there and die like 50 times trying to retrieve it.

I might end up doing that, but I've managed not to die so far, so I'm a little reluctant to rush into the lion's jaws. If only I'd known that the hub city is always wasteland, I wouldn't have been so eager to find it.

Maybe somewhere near by you could put a bedroll so if you die you don't have to build another bike or hoof it all the way back. Also you could put down a chest and put all non essential items in it. All this far enough away of course that if it is dogs that killed you, you have a chance not to be seen by them until you can come up with a plan of attack

Yup, that'll get your skills up alright. I guess all we have is time so why not?!

Let us know how ya did.

Like i said, ive been in this predicament many times. Its definitely a pain in the 😲

Especially it being the hub. The dogs & ferals will make it a real chore!!

I can hardly believe it. I managed it! It took all day but I managed it! I was fortunate enough to be able to bypass about a quarter of the wasteland biome by sneaking through shallow water, and then it became a game of Spot Them Before They Spot You.

I only encountered three landmines on my way (one of which I couldn't destroy so had to avoid), and less than a dozen zombs. Four dogs mind you, but I had my pistol at the ready, as well as first aid bandages in the first toolbelt slot. Top tip - always have bandages in slot one. Up then L2 will quickly stop you bleeding out. One cop, took about 30 bullets alone.

The killer was forcing myself not to rush when the bike was finally in sight. I could just picture myself running towards it and blowing up about 5 steps away.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys. Now I think I'll do some mining for a change of pace....

give up on the bike, youre not getting it back lol. I had a somewhat similar situation recently. SO i went into the wasteland just to explore the map more, i stuck to the road until i came to the radeoactive area. At this point i TRIED to follow a trail that went off of the road and fail miserably as a iran over a mine and died. I respawned and immediately walked on foot to go get my bike and backpack (I was looting as i was exploring and my bike and backpack were full) As soon as i got back to the area i was welcomed by a few dogs and killed ... again! So i respwaned again and made another mini bike this time. Got all the way back to where i died again and and DIED AGAIN!!!! This time i was attacked by an entire pack of dogs. SO i gave up trying to get my stuff back, i lost a ton of ammo and just random crafting items. they really need to do something about the wastelands

give up on the bike, youre not getting it back lol. I had a somewhat similar situation recently. SO i went into the wasteland just to explore the map more, i stuck to the road until i came to the radeoactive area. At this point i TRIED to follow a trail that went off of the road and fail miserably as a iran over a mine and died. I respawned and immediately walked on foot to go get my bike and backpack (I was looting as i was exploring and my bike and backpack were full) As soon as i got back to the area i was welcomed by a few dogs and killed ... again! So i respwaned again and made another mini bike this time. Got all the way back to where i died again and and DIED AGAIN!!!! This time i was attacked by an entire pack of dogs. SO i gave up trying to get my stuff back, i lost a ton of ammo and just random crafting items. they really need to do something about the wastelands

Dang dude that sucks. But guess you missed his post that he was able to get his back lol.

On my current game, my only death came at the hands of the infamous borders. The damn road in the town clipped into the border without my recognizing it. Without warning, ended up driving straight into the border and proceeded to die in a feeble attempt to get the bike back. But I learned in previous games that when you lose a bike to a border or wasteland biome, (which happened to be both issues with this bike), always place a bedroll down on the outskirts just incase.

But I've also learned to use the cars to your advantage in the wastelands. As I ran back toward my bike, I made use of every car by jumping onto them and scouting ahead. Even when dogs spawned without warning, couldn't touch me. Of course by this time, I had a spare smg at my base, so I run and gun it. But using cars, at least in my opinion is beyond invaluable in that biome.

If you come across a town or city that is half and half on the boarder it is easy to go across and not know it. One seed I did had a 2nd hub city on the edge and I was going around it to fill in the map and such and one corner was about 1 block deep and the other corner was about 3 blocks deep on the other side. I barely got back out but my friend died.

On my current game, my only death came at the hands of the infamous borders. The damn road in the town clipped into the border without my recognizing it. Without warning, ended up driving straight into the border and proceeded to die in a feeble attempt to get the bike back. But I learned in previous games that when you lose a bike to a border or wasteland biome, (which happened to be both issues with this bike), always place a bedroll down on the outskirts just incase.

But I've also learned to use the cars to your advantage in the wastelands. As I ran back toward my bike, I made use of every car by jumping onto them and scouting ahead. Even when dogs spawned without warning, couldn't touch me. Of course by this time, I had a spare smg at my base, so I run and gun it. But using cars, at least in my opinion is beyond invaluable in that biome.

Great tip! I've jumped on cars a few times, a trick I learned in Dead Island, but never thought to use them as lookout stations. Protection from dogs is a tremendous benefit.

Ugh....driving into the radiation zone...Ive done this a time or two in my early days of playing. Good times!!

The jumping on cars is a good early game tactic but do that with caution. A dog or a zombie or two is ok but any more than that and they can easily blow the car up while your fending them off.

Instant death baby!!

If you’re really worried about the dogs make barb wire fences which will stop them dead in their tracks. Works on bears and ferals as well. Also crouching allows you to hit the dogs hit box easier.

as for your bike maybe it’s better off where it is :). When I first started playing I was on the nav map and rode mine down the road and into the radiation zone. Of course I didn’t realize that I until I dropped dead. I died 12 times getting that bike back out. Felt good. Then I blew it up. Good luck.

It's still relevant with other peoples tricks and stories. I'm sure there are still noobs out there who will come across this thread who are in or have been in a similar issue, like you said.

I know it brings back fond memories of my noobness, lol.

I miss Dead Island. Despite a very bland/expected story line, the gameplay was so much fun. Completely made up for the story with all the different mods.

I do try to break down most cars in the wastelands, seeing I have little desire to ever return to them aside passing through if need be, but I do try to keep a few always around on the main road for safe travels.

I use the same ideology with wooden frames when crossing actual wasteland. I make a path of frames from car to car and the elevation has been successful, so far. But I've also dug tunnels to treasure chests/ air drops to avoid blowing up. The only issue was making sure I stayed under 3 layers or more to avoid some bad encounters lol.

Archived