Multi-user inventory

vedrit

Hiya, not sure this is the right place to post this, but I wonder if TFP have considered or are working on making inventory accessible by multiple players at once.

Being that I don't know the specifics of how they handle inventory and networking, I can't make any claims as to how easy it would be, but I know that for my own project in Unity, accomplishing this task wasn't terribly difficult. Of course, there are massive differences between my little thing and 7DTD.

Just curious, since it can get a tad annoying when someone has opened a box, then gone AFK.

It doesn’t look good. Madmole has said in the past it would compound the duping issues and would require a lot of coding time for something he didn’t feel especially enthusiastic about.

But sometimes feelings change. Try and convince PokketNinja to open one of his chests and then go AFK so he feels the annoyance... ;)

I’m thinking if they ever do it, it’ll be a #nextgame thing.

It doesn’t look good. Madmole has said in the past it would compound the duping issues and would require a lot of coding time for something he didn’t feel especially enthusiastic about.

But sometimes feelings change. Try and convince PokketNinja to open one of his chests and then go AFK so he feels the annoyance... ;)

I’m thinking if they ever do it, it’ll be a #nextgame thing.

I see. That's unfortunate, but understandable. I had to deal with issues of duplication in my aforementioned project, but again, I get that the two are probably not comparable. Well, we'll see what #nextgame has to bring :p

I would really like to see this added to the game!

every time I switch back to 7dtd from minecraft it feels so rudimentary and not polished :D

Of course. You are switching from a completed game with a feature that was added well after it was released. (I played through beta and probably six months after full release and there was never any concurrent multiplayer access to containers).

So maybe this could be added a lot later after release too.

Vanilla Minecraft is so much simpler at its core than Vanilla 7DTD that you can't really compare the two tbh. The only ways they're similar are "survival", building with blocks, and (some, in Minecraft's case) zombies.

In my project, I managed some of the duplication possibilities by tracking when an object was being manipulated. Server tracks who is in what shared inventory, and when a player starts dragging an item (before it's even been removed or not) a message is sent to the server and the server tells all other clients that object is locked. This prevents multiple users from manipulating the same item, and also prevents sync issues where an item is put into inventory in the same place as another item

I think being able to trade with other players might be more useful. "We" have to put things in boxes to trade items all the time, being able to do that with multiple users in one 'box' would be fine but trading would seem more 'do-able' :)

I think being able to trade with other players might be more useful. "We" have to put things in boxes to trade items all the time, being able to do that with multiple users in one 'box' would be fine but trading would seem more 'do-able' :)

You can also just drop the item and whoever you want to trade with will pick it up, granted, smaller items sometimes disappear but

Archived