Underground bases - what's the status of making them vulnerable to zombies?

badger2013

People hiding underground who get no xp or loot from zombie hordes is not much of a problem.

I have no idea why people continue to believe this myth. You get MORE xp from being underground, and MORE loot. All you have to do is dig for free xp, then you sell everything to a trader. It's ridiculously easy, and boring. The developers need to create a challenge.

There will always be a way to build protection from zombies and there should be.

a simple wall is a protection, traps are protection. More effort should give you more protection. Make a fortress and you are protected from any threats. Sure there should always be a way to build protection.

However, since you began to discuss about what "should be", then digging a 3 meters hole and filling it by blocks over your head shouldn't protect you from zombies very well. In 7DTD zombies smash steel walls and feel you through them, so digging you up from the hole in a dirt shouldn't be a problem for them at all.

I agree that only being a few blocks down isn't much, but it would be good for short time hiding.

I mean, that's all you're doing is hiding and maybe it'll work, or maybe they'll dig you out.

I don't mind the idea of a digger that goes after a few blocks down (only dig through dirt, gravel, possibly clay),

however, the problem then is, they make a hole that regular zombies fall into, who then start going horizontally, thus swiss cheese.

I would say "ok, make it so that zombies cannot damage regular rock". Now someone is gonna find a big boulder, and build up from one of those. um...

so pros and cons.

With Dogs being the Going-to-be Diggers i welcome the idea of Molehunters, cuz playing on a server with about 26 People and more or less never Meeting someone aboveground even in the Communityhub is pretty dank boring.

I might as well go offline if i wanted to play alone(!)

Also with the more structured Ai, Horizontal Basebuilding (like having only 2 Stories not a whole Eifeltower) aboveground will result in Bigger Bases, with many actively defended Layers and retreatgateways and and and i really cant wait for it. My imagination is a Vulcano right now bursting with a flood of different basedesigns.

If the goal is to add risk to underground building, I'd rather see it come from sources other than digging zombies. Perhaps the elimination of underground farms after a certain depth/lower yield/chance of crop failure all due to lack of light. I do think generally it should take longer for plants to grow and maybe the chance of crop failure anyway. I don't know if some mechanic similar to drowning could be introduced but instead of water, stagnant air/CO2 becomes a problem.

I would like to see more caverns/old mines in the underground, but I can see where adding those kinds of POIs could be a pain for anyone building who doesn't realize there are mine shafts below them and inexplicably causes their base to crumble.

Personally, the biggest boon to building underground is the ability to prep for a new building project without needing to deal with the constant stream of screamers, especially in later days when they bring irradiateds in with them.

The irradiated need some nerfing. They regenerate way too quickly at present and frankly speaking, better new zombie models than this bullet sponge thingy.

I agree that only being a few blocks down isn't much, but it would be good for short time hiding.

I mean, that's all you're doing is hiding and maybe it'll work, or maybe they'll dig you out.

I don't mind the idea of a digger that goes after a few blocks down (only dig through dirt, gravel, possibly clay),

however, the problem then is, they make a hole that regular zombies fall into, who then start going horizontally, thus swiss cheese.

I would say "ok, make it so that zombies cannot damage regular rock". Now someone is gonna find a big boulder, and build up from one of those. um...

so pros and cons.

It would be nice if non-digging zombies did not consider paths that required them to dig down. Then they would avoid falling into the holes, unless the digger had finished digging through.

Archived