Need help with combining mods.

Shado47

Well hello guys,

I have recently started to play around with the mod launcher but I have come across a problem and it seems like the mod launcher can't really help me solve it.

Basically what I want to do is:

• Play the Undead Legacy Mod with the Big Backpack
  • Add a Mod that modifies Terrain and adds POIs only, for compatibility!
  • Add a Mod that implements custom (UMA?) Zombies

I have tried to find a Zombie mod for A16.4 but apparently there is no official release for the only one I found (Bad Company), only on A15 and an A17 version was announced.

So what I need help with is putting these together into one client (and if possible also onto my server on Nitrado) without having to manually patch tons of stuff. I presume that others have combined Bad Company with Magoli's Compo Pack before, but I can't seem to find anything on A16.4.

Anyone have an idea where I could find what I am looking for or if it hasnt been done yet, what would be the best and easiest way to do it? I am not good at DLL editing or anything, as in, I have 0 practice.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Not sure what undead legacy has, but bad co and compo pack are easy to combine

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompany

Just add bad co, then overwrite the rwgmixer with the compo one.

if undead legacy is xml only, then you have no other choice than to combine any common files yourself.

bigger backpack is a patchscript so just needs the dll for it to work, and some UI stuff for the extra slots

There really is no easy way to combine mods that use the same files.

Undead Legacy is a mod that adds only items, crafting and blocks, as well as modifying the HUD and (one version of it) already including the bigger backpacks. It also adds a feature to disassemble parts of loot you find in a way that hasnt been done in 7dtd before. The Mod is inspired by Fallout.

As for Bad Co and the Compopack, if I install bad co and then the compopack and overwrite the Bad Co rwgmixer with the compo one, doesnt that result in the custom Zombies only spawning in the wilderness but not in hordes and not in houses? I don't know enough about the way this stuff works thats why I am asking. I used to be into 7dtd modding before the modlauncher even existed, but back then it was way easier and way more limited.

Let me ask this also: Are you aware of any other A16 mod that adds custom zombies? I know yours and the Zeds look pretty good but still, I'd be interested to see the competition, just as a base for comparing what is possible and which style I prefer. If there isnt any, then bad company it is. If there is, then still most likely bad company. The forum search feature isnt exactly useful in terms of finding stuff like this. Not to say its bloody useless. xD

Either way thanks for your quick response, I'll see what I can do today.

there's a few bits to add the blocks, items and loot etc. should all be at the end of the files with a comment <!-- Bad Company --> or similar

hand items and corpse blocks etc

in buffs there's a few bits needed for bombers etc

you should be able to just paste them in at the end of the file before the closing tag. Archetypes can also just be copied in, Entity classes and spawning are best to start with badco then add extras as needed.

War of the walkers mod has some custom archetypes. there a couple others that have posted some archetypes etc but not many that I know of.

Sleeper spawning is redone with bad co, so it's only the wandering and 7day hordes not using them. Compo doesn't change sleeper spawning, so no issues there.

The bandits are in there, but not included in spawning so you would have to add them. Check the bad co thread, page 50-51 has some instructions on how to do that if you need it.

You could add uma zombies to the wandering/7days hordes if you wanted as well, but given the glowy cops etc on 7days the framerate might take a dump :)

Hello again.

I found that the 7dtd mod launcher since last time I checked has actually had the Bad Company mod for A16 added to it, even a version that already incorporates the compopack.

So what I have done now is I have made the launcher install that on a copy of my client, and then patched undead legacy onto that.

Now I have a big problem: Undead Legacy, while it "basically" works, is totally broken. In terms of, none of the items it adds are there, and all crafting recipes that it modifies are unavailable as well, also the starting quest chain, despite being present in the mod, doesnt initialize.

Plz halp.

you cant just copy Undead Legacy over the top of 2 other mods and expect it to work. If you look at the First post of Undead Legacy, it tells you that it wont work with other mods that edit/replace a list of files that it modifies

Undead Legacy is not compatible with mods, that might change the following files:
Data\Config\items.xml
Data\Config\blocks.xml
Data\Config\quests.xml
Data\Config\recipes.xml
Data\Config\loot.xml
Data\Config\traders.xml
Data\Config\materials.xml
Data\Config\progression.xml
Data\Config\gamestages.xml
Data\Config\buffs.xml
Data\Config\qualityinfo.xml
Data\Config\Localization.txt
Data\Config\Localization - Quest.txt
Data\Config\xui.xml
Data\Config\XUi\controls.xml
Data\Config\XUi\styles.xml
Data\Config\XUi\windows.xml

if you want all 3 of these to work, you would first install Undead Legacy clean. Then you can add Compo Pack because it doesnt touch any of the UL files above. But to get Bad Company stuff to work, you will have to manually edit the changes that Bad Company does into the files above (or compo pack) and copy over the files it doesnt. Then you will run into possible conflicts if UL and Bad Company used the same IDs for blocks/items/loot etc and have to resolve those issues.

you cant just copy Undead Legacy over the top of 2 other mods and expect it to work. If you look at the First post of Undead Legacy, it tells you that it wont work with other mods that edit/replace a list of files that it modifies

Undead Legacy is not compatible with mods, that might change the following files:
Data\Config\items.xml
Data\Config\blocks.xml
Data\Config\quests.xml
Data\Config\recipes.xml
Data\Config\loot.xml
Data\Config\traders.xml
Data\Config\materials.xml
Data\Config\progression.xml
Data\Config\gamestages.xml
Data\Config\buffs.xml
Data\Config\qualityinfo.xml
Data\Config\Localization.txt
Data\Config\Localization - Quest.txt
Data\Config\xui.xml
Data\Config\XUi\controls.xml
Data\Config\XUi\styles.xml
Data\Config\XUi\windows.xml

if you want all 3 of these to work, you would first install Undead Legacy clean. Then you can add Compo Pack because it doesnt touch any of the UL files above. But to get Bad Company stuff to work, you will have to manually edit the changes that Bad Company does into the files above (or compo pack) and copy over the files it doesnt. Then you will run into possible conflicts if UL and Bad Company used the same IDs for blocks/items/loot etc and have to resolve those issues.

Yep, there is no way to just combine two mods together like that. Plus even if you do it manually you destroy the balance of the mod and will probably create redundant and duplicate items.

So I got it to work somewhat. I have Undead Legacy working, the Compopack presumably works as well, and Bad Company works to some extent. As in, the custom zombies spawn, but whenever a Zombie that uses a custom Zombie Hand appears, I get a null obj reference and the game turns unplayable. That is without those BadCompany items in the items.xml.

Now the obvious solution would be to just drop all the BadCompany custom items into the items.xml except that...

it doesnt work.

If I add those items at the bottom of the file (above the </items> obviously), now when I try to load my game when it loads environment and wants to actually put me into the map again, the console just spams the same null obj reference error again.

This stuff is starting to get really frustrating, I've been trying around for hours by now.

It should work, the custom items are there in the file and there is no friggin syntax error, but it just spams the console with null obj reference errors. Someone have a solution? Everything else appears to be working perfectly fine, but if my game stops working everytime a zombie with custom hand item shows up, its not playable.

Do those custom hand items have anything special to them? Like custom buff's or whatnot? If so do you have those added into the buff.xml

That might be it, let me look into that! I'll get back to you!

EDIT: Been playing for 10 minutes now without a problem. I assume it worked, thanks! If there is any problems coming up again, maybe even the same thing if it isnt solved yet, I'll just post in this thread again!

That might be it, let me look into that! I'll get back to you!

EDIT: Been playing for 10 minutes now without a problem. I assume it worked, thanks! If there is any problems coming up again, maybe even the same thing if it isnt solved yet, I'll just post in this thread again!

Good to hear so far it's working.

Yep, there is no way to just combine two mods together like that. Plus even if you do it manually you destroy the balance of the mod and will probably create redundant and duplicate items.

balance shouldn't be an issue, bad co only adds items for hands etc, there's no balance changes there from bad co. Only the spawning is changed :)

I've been playing a bit more and it seems that most things do work as intended. However apparently the terrain gets edited by the Compo Pack but no custom prefabs spawn. I'll have to look into that. Apart from that, hell yeah! Custom Zombies, custom terrain and Undead Legacy. It feels like a whole new game. Taking 7dtd to the next level! ^^

Archived