Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

So I do not know if there is a bug list I could check beforehand, but I ran a new instance of Darkness Falls and during the day to night transition noted the Sun moved rapidly about the sky as if a whole day went back and forth. I can try and capture the event if that helps. 

1. Steam settings are Beta Participation: alpha21.1 - Alphas 21.1 Stable

2. 7DTD Launcher is Renderer: DirectX 11, no EAC, no native input module, no additional parameters

3. DF game start menu cites V5.0.0-DEV-B25; Alphas 21.1(b16)

4. GENERAL: 24 Hour Cycle: 60 Minutes; Daylight Length: 24 Hours

This probably happened because it isn't safe to go from B25 to B26 without starting a new save after all, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it might be something else:

I went to the research bunker and got down to a level (probably the bottom level?) where it says "Lab 1". The doors in that hallway worked, but the next doors wouldn't open, despite saying 'unlocked'. They'd make the door opening sound, but didn't open (so I'm guessing it wasn't because I needed to find a button or such).

Also came across a laser workbench and a fusion forge I couldn't interact with and which had no white text when I aimed at them.

(I did find the satchel and got the rewards from Anna, including the portal thingy).

Started a new game with a new B26 map, but it'll probaby take another 100 hours before I can see if things work in the bunker in this save.

I just downloaded the v B26, I am using A21.1 and no other mods or anything, but anytime i start a new game I use the DF Large 1 or 2 map I can't loot any bird nest, I can't loot any trash or vehicles?  Also if i try to put down a Bike or anything else i just get a bunch of scrolling red errors that lock up the entire game?

Not sure what would cause that?

3 hours ago, Onyxgem said:

I just downloaded the v B26, I am using A21.1 and no other mods or anything, but anytime i start a new game I use the DF Large 1 or 2 map I can't loot any bird nest, I can't loot any trash or vehicles?  Also if i try to put down a Bike or anything else i just get a bunch of scrolling red errors that lock up the entire game?

Not sure what would cause that?

It's odd because I think not being able to loot stuff is one of the problems you get if you run DF with A21.2. Not sure what to suggest other than doing a clean install of 21.1 and see if that helps.

Edited by Similar (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Similar said:

It's odd because I think not being able to loot stuff is one of the problems you get if you run DF with A21.2. Not sure what to suggest other than doing a clean install of 21.1 and see if that helps.

I did a fresh reinstall of A21.1, it shows up on steam as using 21.1 also so no idea what is going on as I still can't look pretty much anything at all.  It als shows 21.1 when I go into 7D2D....

Edited by Onyxgem (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, M4nt4_Undead said:

A21.1 B26

Quick question, do I need water for farm plots?
This changed so much I can't find a current answer.

And if I do, what is the use of farmplots?

Yes, all crops need water, whether they are farm plots or planted directly.

20 minutes ago, M4nt4_Undead said:

Then I don't understand why we need these plots at all and why the farmer class quests pushes us towords farm plots without telling us we need water.

I can just put topsoil on my roof and use a hoe, can't I?

I tend to use farm plots as I prefer them over hoed soil. I just find them neater and easier to handle. I salvage and chop up most things, so rotting flesh is not an issue.

However, yes, you can just use tilled or hoed soil.

I can't recall if you need two layers of topsoil for it to work on a roof, though I don't think so.

Initial planting-to-growing time is pretty long before you will know if anything is growing, but give it a try. Just don't forget water. There are alpha 20 videos on farming and irrigation on the DF discord, but they generally work for A21. They will be reworked for A21 as soon as Khaine releases his A21 Stable version of DF.

2 hours ago, Onyxgem said:

I did a fresh reinstall of A21.1, it shows up on steam as using 21.1 also so no idea what is going on as I still can't look pretty much anything at all.  It als shows 21.1 when I go into 7D2D....

hm. It sounds to me like something is mismatched, just not sure what or how. You are getting the DF menu screen (the red one with the DF demons)?

56 minutes ago, Similar said:

hm. It sounds to me like something is mismatched, just not sure what or how. You are getting the DF menu screen (the red one with the DF demons)?

Yeah see everything right, but when I get logged in if i look at the command menu is gives errors about bird nests and garbage and so on...

My Game shows Alpha 21.1 (B16)

Also i started a vanilla game from same file and i can loot there also....so something weird going on

image.thumb.png.29aa7f66d709878516dfedc0ef9af847.png

image.thumb.png.ee15f350c9f68036e2e954ea014315fb.png

59 minutes ago, Onyxgem said:

Yeah see everything right, but when I get logged in if i look at the command menu is gives errors about bird nests and garbage and so on...

My Game shows Alpha 21.1 (B16)

Also i started a vanilla game from same file and i can loot there also....so something weird going on

Do you mean you started a DF map from vanilla? That isn't possible for me, pregen DF maps don't show up in the vanilla selection, and pregen vanilla maps don't show up in the DF selection.

21.1(b16) is the right one.

You've just copied the 'mods' folder from the DF zip file to the 7 Days folder?

So DF is in \Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods\

3 minutes ago, Similar said:

Do you mean you started a DF map from vanilla? That isn't possible for me, pregen DF maps don't show up in the vanilla selection, and pregen vanilla maps don't show up in the DF selection.

21.1(b16) is the right one.

You've just copied the 'mods' folder from the DF zip file to the 7 Days folder?

So DF is in \Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods\

Correct, I made a copy of the 7 Days to Die folders, I deleted mods and then moved the downloaded DF Mods over.  I open it with the 7daystodie Icon in folder.

image.thumb.png.c9e564e2ed115ec132a6d85dd4f6c3e3.png

6 minutes ago, Onyxgem said:

Correct, I made a copy of the 7 Days to Die folders, I deleted mods and then moved the downloaded DF Mods over.  I open it with the 7daystodie Icon in folder.

I do the same. But if you had a mods folder there before installing DF, it wasn't a clean 7 Days install. Not sure if that's of importance, though.

I'm running out of things to guess at...

47 minutes ago, Similar said:

I do the same. But if you had a mods folder there before installing DF, it wasn't a clean 7 Days install. Not sure if that's of importance, though.

I'm running out of things to guess at...

I deleted the whole folder for 7D2D and then did a reinstall from Steam over night.....

And i take it back there was no Mods folder, i checked the original folder and it had no mods folder

Has to be an issue with the loot container between the two it seems

57 minutes ago, Onyxgem said:

Has to be an issue with the loot container between the two it seems

I just can't see why. It seems like you have things installed correctly.

I also tried the DF Large 1 map and had no problems looting nests and such, so it doesn't seem like the map is the problem either.

I guess you could generate a map with B26 and see if that changes anything. Doesn't really seem like it should, but I can't think of anything else to try.

1 hour ago, Similar said:

I just can't see why. It seems like you have things installed correctly.

I also tried the DF Large 1 map and had no problems looting nests and such, so it doesn't seem like the map is the problem either.

I guess you could generate a map with B26 and see if that changes anything. Doesn't really seem like it should, but I can't think of anything else to try.

I have even tried a B26 generate map and issue is still the same, completely confused at this point

I made a boo-boo, and I thought I'd share so others wouldn't make a similar mistake. 😖😂

So, I downloaded and freshly installed the new B26 with a new RWG map and everything was dandy.
However, I noticed that the remote crafting was a bit borked.
If I didn't have mats in my backpack or toolbelt and I went to craft remotely from nearby boxes, I could craft what I liked up to the mat amount I had, but it didn't deplete what was in the box at all. So, I basically could craft infinitely.
This confused me and I went into the files to see what was up.
Upon examination, even though I made sure the mods folder in the game directory was empty with a fresh install, I forgot I had a "CraftFromContainers" mod already installed in the "AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods" pathway!
However, removing the AppData mods stopped the in-game "RemoteCrafting" from working! Which confused me even more! lol
I'd probably need to do a fresh game to set that all straight I think... Which I'll do anyway for bug hunting.

But this is just a lesson to tell the Fun Pimps to stop moving directories around and making us forget where @%$# is! 🤣

Regardless of all that, great work as ever Khaine for the updates, thanks for all the effort. 👍❤️

So I see the wandering horde frequency mod was moved into the base mod.

Build 23 "- Added wandering horde mod into base DF and removed the unnecessary folder."

When creating a single player game I see the options for configuring them.

However, I have looked here in the forum and through the included server config file of the mod and I do not see those settings.

Am I overlooking the settings somewhere?

Appreciate any assistance.

Edited by Fent (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Onyxgem said:

I have even tried a B26 generate map and issue is still the same, completely confused at this point

yeh, I have no idea either.

The game does create logs in C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\logs\, but I don't know if those deal with the kind of errors you're getting. Though, if your problem is due to something not loading properly, you'd think that would show up.

12 hours ago, Lobotomy said:

I made a boo-boo, and I thought I'd share so others wouldn't make a similar mistake. 😖😂

So, I downloaded and freshly installed the new B26 with a new RWG map and everything was dandy.
However, I noticed that the remote crafting was a bit borked.
If I didn't have mats in my backpack or toolbelt and I went to craft remotely from nearby boxes, I could craft what I liked up to the mat amount I had, but it didn't deplete what was in the box at all. So, I basically could craft infinitely.
This confused me and I went into the files to see what was up.
Upon examination, even though I made sure the mods folder in the game directory was empty with a fresh install, I forgot I had a "CraftFromContainers" mod already installed in the "AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods" pathway!
However, removing the AppData mods stopped the in-game "RemoteCrafting" from working! Which confused me even more! lol
I'd probably need to do a fresh game to set that all straight I think... Which I'll do anyway for bug hunting.

But this is just a lesson to tell the Fun Pimps to stop moving directories around and making us forget where @%$# is! 🤣

Regardless of all that, great work as ever Khaine for the updates, thanks for all the effort. 👍❤️

ow. Last night I happened to be reading some of the discussion about mods in AppData from back when TFP introduced it. I didn't think any mods actually used it (or that it even still worked, for that matter).

That's certainly something to keep an eye out for if things get weird.

Any idea if mods in AppData take priority over those in the game folder? If they do, it might explain some weird, seemingly unsolvable problems I've seen people talk about.