Burnt forest smoke

Crater Creator

What makes the atmosphere smoky in the burnt forest? Looking at A16.4 vanilla, it seems to not be:

• Fog (it's set to zero)
  • A spectrum (the burnt forest doesn't specify one)
  • The smokestorm particle effect (commenting it out doesn't clear things up)

It's auto added with the biome itself. Add a spectrum to change it.

Huh. I don't understand why biomes.xml explicitly sets a spectrum for the wasteland, for example, while the burnt forest spectrum is hard coded. But regardless, thanks for the speedy response.

Probably just one of those things that slipped through the cracks and it wasn't anything overly major that needing changing so it just got left.. and no worries.

This is determined by the image files which are inside asset.

This can be changed using the utility UABE.

Use in search :

*textures/environment/spectrums*

for look it.

they can be easily replaced, for example - from previous Alphas.

Does anyone know if swapping this out gives better performance in the burnt biomes?

Meh, nothing that you'll be able to notice, because every biome has a spectrum technically, even when you "remove them". You would need to totally redo the biomes and redecorate everything in order to get an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_smokestorm" ChunkMargin="21"/>

ChunkMargin is the answer.

in standard chunk margin = 7 which means every 7 chunks a particle will spawn. so increase the value to 21 then every 21 chunks a particle will spawn. and thus creating less lag and less smoke. and of course if you reduce it to say 1. you will get a particle spawn on every chunk making a smoke storm so thick you cant see a thing..

i haven't tested exactly how high you can set it. value of 21 seems to be decent for my crappy 4gbRAM integrated VC laptop.

The same line applies to the storms in the desert and snow biomes. And i do believe you can change it after map generation.. removing the line completely does not seem to work, im guessing it stays default if you do so. You could 0 or ChunkMargin="" .. idk if theyll work. but as i said. 21 seems to be acceptable.

<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_smokestorm" ChunkMargin="21"/>

ChunkMargin is the answer.

in standard chunk margin = 7 which means every 7 chunks a particle will spawn. so increase the value to 21 then every 21 chunks a particle will spawn. and thus creating less lag and less smoke. and of course if you reduce it to say 1. you will get a particle spawn on every chunk making a smoke storm so thick you cant see a thing..

i haven't tested exactly how high you can set it. value of 21 seems to be decent for my crappy 4gbRAM integrated VC laptop.

The same line applies to the storms in the desert and snow biomes. And i do believe you can change it after map generation.. removing the line completely does not seem to work, im guessing it stays default if you do so. You could 0 or ChunkMargin="" .. idk if theyll work. but as i said. 21 seems to be acceptable.

Different type of smoke but good info none the less to give out for those that might asking about the other smoke like effect question ;)

The smoke that was in question was the burnt forest heavy brown smokey <spectrum> which is "kind of" like a stationary filter or tint as opposed to the moving particles.

The same type of effect they use for the wasteland but only to make it the green/yellow tint and the rad zone or bloodmoon.

Don't know the correct terminology hence the "kind of" part.

Ah i see. as i was skimming through i saw someone asking about performance, the storm particles are resource hog. The tint is lighting i believe and the sky color changes directly in the skybox in the unity engine.

I think the OP is looking to fix the particle storms though.

The smokestorm particle effect (commenting it out doesn't clear things up)

The lighting and skybox color changing should not have any noticeable effects on performance. but the smoke-storm will crash a low and pc with extreme prejudice.

Ah i see. as i was skimming through i saw someone asking about performance, the storm particles are resource hog. The tint is lighting i believe and the sky color changes directly in the skybox in the unity engine.

The lighting and skybox color changing should not have any noticeable effects on performance. but the smoke-storm will crash a low and pc with extreme prejudice.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23622&d=1514143554

Pretty sure he was at the time trying to get the heavy brown in the burnt forest to look like in the pic (or similar).

The-Walking-Dad was asking about the performance it would have if removed but could be wrong as well.

It's all good because both types of questions were answered.

My goal is/was to make the burnt forest and wasteland more pleasant looking to inhabit. I'm starting a mod with a different proportion of biomes, and I wanted these biomes to look nicer since the player may be taking up residence there more often. Though the spectrum turned out to be what I'm after, it's good to know about the particle effects too. I'll likely try bumping that up to keep it feeling smoky. Thanks everyone.

Archived