Black Screen at Game Opening

dclark1981

I have been playing 7 Days to Die for a couple months. Now whenever I try to go into the game I just get a Black Screen, I can hear the music, and hear the options being clicked over but I can't see anything. all drivers are up to date and I have uninstalled and reinstalled 7d2d. Anyone know how I fix this? I have looked all over for the last week and non of the fixes I have found have worked.

Computer Information:

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Model: K53E

Form Factor: Laptop

No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:

CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel

CPU Brand: Intel® Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz

CPU Family: 0x6

CPU Model: 0x2a

CPU Stepping: 0x7

CPU Type: 0x0

Speed: 2494 Mhz

4 logical processors

2 physical processors

HyperThreading: Supported

FCMOV: Supported

SSE2: Supported

SSE3: Supported

SSSE3: Supported

SSE4a: Unsupported

SSE41: Supported

SSE42: Supported

AES: Unsupported

AVX: Supported

CMPXCHG16B: Supported

LAHF/SAHF: Supported

PrefetchW: Supported

Operating System Version:

Windows 10 (64 bit)

Video Card:

Driver: Intel® HD Graphics 3000

DirectX Driver Name: igdumd32.dll

Driver Version: 9.17.10.4459

DirectX Driver Version: 9.17.10.4459

Driver Date: 5 19 2016

OpenGL Version: 1.1

Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz

DirectX Card: Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Video Card:

This made me cry a little inside

So your first problem is that you don't have a GPU. I've managed to get it working on the HD4400, and HD4000. Not sure if it's possible on that. I'm going to continue forward assuming that you did actually have it working on that at one point in time by some stroke of luck.

First, remove and re-install the video driver. I doubt Intel has a clean install option like Nvidia or ATI do, so you'll have to do it manually.

Second, re-install DirectX.

Third, pray. I'm really not trying to be insulting here, but you're really below the minimum requirements for the GPU there. (Primarily, you don't have one.) I'd be willing to bet you're below the minimum for RAM too, because the standard on that was 4GB, and the minimum req. is 6GB. (The product says "Entertainment Laptop" only because you will be able to watch movies on it.)

If that fails, start the game via the launcher, and check the box for "Use GLCore renderer". That might help if it's a slight compatibility issue with your pseudo-GPU.

When I say that I mean no offense, I really have no intention of hurting your feelings at all.

I do have to be brutally honest though, that laptop was never designed to play PC games on, outside of Minecraft or some Windows Store stuff like Candy Crush Saga.

You have an OK CPU that's doubling GPU processing, no GPU to speak of, no dedicated RAM for the GPU, and just enough RAM for Windows and 20 browser tabs. (Assuming it's the standard 4GB.)

The minimum requirements for 7 Days are as follows.

• Processor: 2.4 Ghz Dual Core Cpu
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 1 GB Dedicated Memory
  • Direct X: Version 10
  • Network: Broadband internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
  • Sound Card: Direct X compatible

Video Card:

This made me cry a little inside

So your first problem is that you don't have a GPU. I've managed to get it working on the HD4400, and HD4000. Not sure if it's possible on that. I'm going to continue forward assuming that you did actually have it working on that at one point in time by some stroke of luck.

First, remove and re-install the video driver. I doubt Intel has a clean install option like Nvidia or ATI do, so you'll have to do it manually.

Second, re-install DirectX.

Third, pray. I'm really not trying to be insulting here, but you're really below the minimum requirements for the GPU there. (Primarily, you don't have one.) I'd be willing to bet you're below the minimum for RAM too, because the standard on that was 4GB, and the minimum req. is 6GB. (The product says "Entertainment Laptop" only because you will be able to watch movies on it.)

If that fails, start the game via the launcher, and check the box for "Use GLCore renderer". That might help if it's a slight compatibility issue with your pseudo-GPU.

When I say that I mean no offense, I really have no intention of hurting your feelings at all.

I do have to be brutally honest though, that laptop was never designed to play PC games on, outside of Minecraft or some Windows Store stuff like Candy Crush Saga.

You have an OK CPU that's doubling GPU processing, no GPU to speak of, no dedicated RAM for the GPU, and just enough RAM for Windows and 20 browser tabs. (Assuming it's the standard 4GB.)

The minimum requirements for 7 Days are as follows.

• Processor: 2.4 Ghz Dual Core Cpu
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 1 GB Dedicated Memory
  • Direct X: Version 10
  • Network: Broadband internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
  • Sound Card: Direct X compatible

Thanks for your reply to the problem, Please check the part about where she has been playing the game for a few months now on that machine without a problem and the part about the machine having 12gb of ram. we know that you have to double the ram for a typical laptop as it has no dedicated graphics.

The HD3K graphics card uses a windows based driver, it's controlled by windows 10, W10 reinstalls it faster than you can when you uninstall the old driver, and, it's the exact same drive obtained from the intel website (I checked with intel) and it is up to date.

I have already attempted the check the box for "Use GLCore renderer" it didn't fix her problem and caused the game to crash on start rather than just giving a black screen. I will however attempt a reinstall of direct-X on her computer as I didn't think of that one.

I was unaware that this machine was listed as a "Entertainment laptop" but thanks for that. As for gaming, Yes, we know that this is a older laptop, but, it's been doing just fine and still runs many games with much greater graphics requirements than this game without a problem, and until this Black Screen issue, it was running this one just fine as well, 7d2d is the only game that is having an issue and it just started having it about a week ago.

• 3 months later...

I am also having this issue but haven't ever been able to play on pc.

I have done everything that I can find online and in this forum. Nothing fixes this issue. Please help!

PC specs:

Dell XPS-8300

Intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40 GHz

16GB of ram

Running windows 10 Home

AMD Radeon HD 6450

Approx total memory :4848 MB

Display memory :1008 MB

Shared memory :3840 MB

There seems to be some common issue with Window 10 and Unity games.

Perhaps the below thread can help:

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/

Basic summary:

Something in the 1709 Windows 10 update changed the way Aspect Ratio and scaling is handled. The most common fix is to go into the drivers for the video card and change/toggle the settings related to aspect ratio (often restoring afterward the system will work as before).

EDIT: I should add, through-out the thread can be found the steps for various manufacturers and driver versions.

Archived